New 8x16 Rion: Whats the ideal location?

Mountain Home, AR

We are in Northern Arkansas and just got our new Rion greenhouse. We have several options for a site but I am confused about what is best. Will it be way too hot if it's getting sun all day long with no trees at all? Or is it better to have a little shadowing or shade at some parts of the day ? Any body out there ? I need help. We would like to grow year round but it gets pretty hot here in July and August. Any suggestions apreciated. Also any one who has a Rion, if you have any tips about set up or anything else, pass them along. Thanks, Nanadee

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Nanadee, and welcome to our 'web' I love Mt. Home. Such a beautiful area. Had a condo at Fairfield Glade years ago.. My greenhouse (just a temporary one) got very hot today with the 70 degree temps we had. I have 4 mil plastic. That may give you an idea. And of course this time of year it is pretty much in full sun. I had to take the end off and open up the sides. It would get shade later in the summer, but I take it down in April.
Elaine

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I have a rion also. I live in hot dry N. Calif and my climate is different from yours but I have sun on mine until about 2 in the afternoon then its mostly shade. I have misters and fans running on timer all summer. I have way more trouble keeping it warm in the winter than cool in the summer. My Dad lived in Mena Arkansas( I lived there as a kid) and its gets so humid there it seems so much hotter than it is.
I love Arkansas and miss it.
Linda

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have two and both of mine are in full sun. You will want to use the shade cloth. If your kit did not come with one, you can easily find them. Worm's Way did have them the cheapest. They do a very good job. They also recommend a roof vent for every 4' of ceiling length. Originally the 12' models only came with 2. When the weather is decent, you can leave all the roof vents and back vents open. When it's really hot, I will mist inside mine with a hose. I also run an electric fan when temps are high (just not at the same time I use a hose. LOL).

If you can situate it near a decent deciduous tree, that might not be a bad idea. It would let sun in during the winter and shade it in the summer. Just make sure the tree type does not have roots that will mess up your foundation.

As for building it, follow the directions, lay out all the pieces and count them first! I built my first one, then took it down and moved it to my new home then got a second one. Knowing the pieces is very helpful and knowing if you are short any pieces is vital as you cannot go back and stick anything in.

Also make sure you have help with setting the roof on. Even though it's not extremely heavy, it is very awkward.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.