Are you going Cone Crazy again this year??

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a continuation of MollyMc's 'Did You Go Cone Crazy?' thread started last year

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/725083/

This is my 'Ruby Giant'

Thumbnail by grampapa
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, granP. : ) That thread was getting way to long. : )
~Lucy

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jan - I wish people wouldn't feel presumptuous (or presumed upon, heh heh) for starting a new thread when it is clearly warranted. You did the right thing!
xxx, Carrie

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Last year I planted 'Harvest Moon', 'Midnight', 'Summer Sky', 'Coconut Lime', and 'Twilight'. Like them all and will be interested to see how they come back. The weakest of the lot seemed to be 'After Midnight'. The pic is 'Twilight' which is a rosier red that I liked. This years list is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4541310

Thumbnail by ngam
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted 'Sunset' and 'Twilight' last year. I liked 'Sunset' better, but 'Twilight' grew better for me. I think they both got too little sun and both were attacked by some sort of bug that I don't know (I've never had a problem with before). This is 'Sunset'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I kind of don't get the green flowers thing, but I view it as more a failing on my part than on the part of the plant, LOL. Pretty, what is in the foreground, ngam? x, Carrie

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Carrie that is a double daylily 'Francis Joiner'. My Twilight got munched early on by the monster bunny, but I think it will be a good plant if it survived the winter and I liked the different color.

Gram I can never keep the two echinacea 'Sunset' and 'Sundown' straight. One is supposed to be much more vigorous than the other. Yours looks good and very healthy. I have 'Sunrise' and that one is a very good one here.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OHHH! I thought I should probably know what it was (blooms late in summer, probably not a snapdragon, does it really have a 3" stem or is that a trick of photography, gee, it's awfully pretty .....) but i was stumped! I think I have Fatal Attraction but I'm not exactly positive. xx, Carrie

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

It is not a very good pic of the DL. Lost most of my pics of this I'm afraid. Here is a better look and you can tell it is a DL. This is also more accurate for the color of it.

Thumbnail by ngam
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I never thought of combining DL with coneflowers - how clever! x, Carrie

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

ngam, if I didn't have it written down I wouldn't have it straight either.

Mesilla Park, NM

I just found out recently that there was a coneflower forum... I love it...!!!

So far, though, I've got some of the native clasping cone flower seedlings growing and Mexican Hat types, and purple echinacea seedings also.

I have 5 of the yellow Echinacea and 1 orange, but do not know the names.. when they bloom I'll take some photos. And then I ordered some seeds for some of the coreopsis types.

I took some of the seeds from the yellow and orange to see if they germinate and I think a couple did. Too bad they will take so long to flower.. In the meantime....

I am making a coneflower blanket.. I can't wait for the real things....olol I posted this on the Trash to Treasure forum also, because it is all from recycled materials.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Gourd, beautiful quilt! I'll be anxious to see how your yellow and orange do when they finally flower.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

A, I love that quilt, such talent!!!! :^)))

Yall are absolutely correct, that thread was getting a bit long. Up until a couple days ago I thought the thread had about died. So glad you brought it back to life.

Molly
:^))))

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Jan.

That thread was started before there was a coneflower forum is why it got so long.

My coneflowers are all under 3' of snow yet.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Al, I knew that :-p But it was really time for a new one LOL

Mine are under about 6" of snow...you win. what are you getting new this year?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I'm not too keen on the green ones either. And I do like green roses, green glads, etc. but the echies, I dunno.....

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think Tiki Torch for sure, we'll see what else is new local after that.

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you guys..

I am so anxious for Spring!!! it was 80 degrees yesterday and today it is windy as all heck and it will be 50 tomorrow with a low of 23..

So, I brought in my flats of coneflowers and tomatoes.. No snow, thank god! Although they are predicting some snow somewhere in New Mexico, I didn't see where, probably on the Northern side of the State.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I haven't actually got any new ones happening. Just waiting to see what and how many of last years return.

My coneflower bed is on the long wall of my greenhouse facing south. The poor things have taken a lot of abuse this winter. The plastic shreds in the windstorms then we have to get our ladders in there to put up new plastic, just until March 15th. They are still green and laying low for the time being.

Molly
:^)))

Centralia, IL(Zone 6a)

I've been really bad so far this year. I have these coming:
Sundown
Summer Sky
Purity
Tiki Torch
Coconut Lime (planted 5 last year, but ordered more "just in case")
green jewel
hope
fragrant angel
merlot
fancy frills
green eyes
ruby giant

I'm trying to complete the collection-can you tell? Does anyone know where a complete listing of all the different coneflowers can be found?
Joyce

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Wow Joyce, what a list. I just loved my CL last year and hope it returns as expected. Are you putting them all in one bed or throughout the garden? Should be quite nice around your garden with all these new arrivals. I do not know where a complete list can be found except maybe on DG some place. A fun group of plants to collect I agree.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Gosh, Joyce. you want a complete collection of ALL cultivars?? that's going to be a tall order. I would think some might not even be available any more. but if you could do it anywhere you could do it here. somebody at DG must every one. good luck! sounds like a fun goal!

~ jan

Frisco, TX

I am starting alot of coneflowers from seed. I didnt realize how many cultivars I had until I counted them all up. It is amazing how many there are that I dont have too. I feel the need to complete my collection too so if someone knows a good cheap source for the unique ones like Tiki Torch, etc please share the info..

By the way, you know you are a "Conehead" when you buy a Cricut Scrapbook cartridge that cost 60.00 JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A CONEFLOWER DIECUT. hahahahaha

Angela

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Angela, I'm not even sure what that is!

I'm waiting to see if the cultivars come true from seed or revert after a few years, as it sounds like some people's had. (Translation; I forgot to order 'baby swan' seed.)

I also want to wait to see which of my cones came back. And which I can persuade DH to rip out. (Anyone in Massachusetts want some free coneflowers, yarrow etc.? We don't really have the able-bodied-ness to do it anymore. DH will do it if I ask him to, but he'll be in pain for a week afterward.)

xx, Carrie

Centralia, IL(Zone 6a)

Here's the ones that I already have in the ground:
Fatal Attraction
Sunrise
Sunset
Mango Meadowbright
Paradoxa coneflower (gray head)
Vintage Wine
Double Decker
Harvest Moon
Raspberry Tart
Pink Double Delight
Coconut Lime
Magnus
White Swan

If anybody knows any others, scream them at me and I'll make a list and see what we come up with. I'm gonna get green envy if it kills me this year!! I have my coneflowers all over, mixed with coreopsis, daylilies, grasses, rudbeckia, monarda, just name it and I've got some of everything.

My sunrise is still one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by joyceanng
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

joyce, that Sunrise is beautiful! I can see why you love it. I don't have a yellow.

Frisco, TX

carrielamont:

The Cricut is a scrapbooking machine that cuts diecuts for pages. It has all kinds of images you can cut. The garden one has a Coneflower so I had to have it. Its another addiction of mine.. :-)

Angela

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Angela, I'm hoping that you got some other ones you like, too. If not, I think this puts you over the top ;0)

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Joyce, love the 'Sunrise' too. I am looking forward to mine getting as big as yours has this year.

Frisco, TX

Grampapa,

There are some other cute flowers on the diecut cartridge I guess. Nothing as cute as the coneflower. LOL I can make it in any color I want too. I was thinking of making some small ones to put on seed packets. Now wouldnt that be darling???

Are there any other Scrapbookers here besides me??

Frisco, TX

Oh, I may need a place to live soon. Once my hubby sees how many plants, daylilys, seeds I've ordered online. LOL I can't wait for them to start arriving. Now I just need a month off to plant once it warms up..

Also I am planning to put in a huge new bed on the south side of my house. I cant do all the digging to prep the beds. Anyone have any ideas for the best way to get some help?? I dont know any strong teenage boys nearby that I could recruit. Knowing me I'll try to do it and wind up in the hospital with my herniated disc in my neck..

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lasagna beds or no-till beds? Just my dumb idea. . . . x, Carrie

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Angel, you could possibly check with the teenage boys from your church or ask a friend from a recommendation from their's. Or do you have "labor ready" in your area? I'm trying my first lasagna beds this year. ~ Pat

Centralia, IL(Zone 6a)

What about your local newspaper? We have people willing to do yardwork listed here. If you could get someone with a tiller instead of digging, it may be worth looking in to. It would be a lot faster to do a bed with that and your ground would be nice and turned up too. Also, you could add some compost to it after the first go around and then have him till it in a little. Just a thought.
Joyce

Frisco, TX

what the heck is a lasagna bed??? I have alot of grass in this area that I want to turn into beds. Can I just have that tilled up into the bed?? My hubby hates my 'addiction' to gardening so I know he wont' enable me by making me more beds. I already have beds around the entire perimater of the house, front and back. This side is the only side that has all grass. So boring... haha

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Angel this may help you. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/649906/

Zeeland, MI

'All that Jazz' is a coneflower that is on my must-have list!

Thumbnail by Christabelle
Frisco, TX

Christabelle, I totally agree!! It is gorgeous.Its in the Wayside catalog for $14.95. Anyone seen it cheaper online?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm just starting to fall in love with coneflowers. This year I ordered razzmatazz...

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.