Blooming in March

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Well...we might as well start a new one...that way we can always look back on what was blooming each month..I like that idea! So whats blooming today...ok all the usual suspects, daffodils, crocus, Iris's are almost there, tea olive smells good, Debin has some phlox kicking out, the hellebores at her house s/b blooming soon,..I cheated and picked some up at Parks last week LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Here's what blooming in my yard-
-spirea
-edgeworthia
-buckeye
-lady bank's rose
-hellebore
-unknown cute little white bell flower
-camellia
-azalea
-lambs

Jenny

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

The lamb is too cute! Do you raise sheep? I can't believe your rose is blooming - that is very cool!

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I raise some sheep and goats as a hobby. I have a about 16 lambs and kids this year- they are adorable. That little one is "Elf", she's the last born and she's tiny. The Lady Banks Rose always bloom early in February/March. They only bloom once a year, but they're very pretty. I'm training mine up a big piece of rebar in a spiral- next year will be its third year. Year three always seems to be the big one for perennials.

Jenny

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow very nice everyone!!! i found the new thread i love looking at your flowers. do the store sell perennials all year long... or only in the "spring" and forth...? our only sell after all the hard frost is gone and of course the snow.... which we have plenty of. i love the tea olives ? is that correct? very pretty are they fragrant? i like "smelly" flowers! :) my husband like the honeysuckles. they are very fragrant for being such a tiny flower... does anyone have any silverlace vine? we love ours very nice and boy they grow like weeds... have a great march, Ronna

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

the tea olives are very fragrant... one of the best smells!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow Jenny! What a difference a few miles make! My Lady Banks is just leafed out - tiny little hints of buds. My spirea hasn't quite got past the bud stage either. Your photos make me smile, knowing what I can look forward to. :)

Nothing new today. Hellebores are partly open. Few more days.

Tulips should open in a week - I may get to see them if the squirrels don't eat them first. LOL!
Deb

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow, very nice :):)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I have a purple tulip that opened today..it sure is a short one though I must not have planted it deep enough! I'll try to catch a pic of it tomorrow...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Peache's blossoms anyone?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

oh! i so miss the peach orchard on old cherokee road (rednyr and keonikale might know about it) in Lexington that was down the street from my house! thanks for bringing back the memories! :-)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

The peach blossoms are so pretty!

DHS nope never been to that orchard...I truly try to stay away from columbia area - the drivers are just too scary for me...I'll go to Harbison to the mall every once in awhile and thats about it...when we go to the beach I cringe each time we come to malfunction junction...kinda hard to believe no one has sued the state yet for that horrid on/off ramp......I think that ramps should always have the exit first and then the "on" ramp next. nearly every morning on the local news you hear about accidents there...whoever thought of putting the "on" ramp for I20 merging onto I26 prior to the off ramp to I20 traffic was nuts!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

well, in this part of Lexington, you wouldn't know how close you were to Columbia unless you were a local or someone told you. sigh... homesickness.....

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

aahh DHS I hear ya....every fall I so terribly miss the Adirondack changing colors...I used to take the Amtrak home every 2-3 yrs in the fall just so I could enjoy the ride! (and trust me all the way from Indiana gave you a lot of time to enjoy LOL)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Create your own orchard, plant just 3 of the them in a group, you'll have enough peaches to share with a whole town. :-) Or canning them? Yum.
Kim

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Lily - I like the way you think! :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks rednyr, here is some hyachinches. Spring isn't too far away. Yippie!!! :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I kind of miss the leaves changing. My brother had his wedding up at Saranac Lake, he almost hit the peak season. I flew into Albany and drove up, it was a very scenic drive. Up in the hills was just past peak but for some reason it was in the 70's durning the day. Couldn't have gone better for what he was trying to do.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i wish i had the room, plus i haven't seen may peach trees for sale down here. maybe i can find a dwarf kind

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Core - ahh I know where that is..and it is the best time to be in the North Country that time of year...

DHS your lowes doesn't carry any? Ours got fruit trees last week - and I see Wally World got some in I think yesterday (I'm not sure I hadn't been to WW in 4 days - my boyfriend laughs and says WW will have to close down if I don't go back again..it's my boredom thing...shopping there LOL)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

DHS the problem with peaches is we're really to warm for them in Bluffton. You have to have a low chill hour peach. I have two flordawon peaches. Last year they got fruit but I'm not sure where they were the year before. I would think we were cold enough this winter but I'll have to see about that. They should be coming out of dormancy any day.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

red, to tell you the truth, i dont think i have looked
core, do there need to be two trees for fruit?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Diehrd, this site has a lot of info on growing peaches in SC. Core is right, you need to find a variety that needs the fewest chilling hours.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1354.htm

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

thanks, both of yall

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Mine are self fruiting but in general your better off with two. Take a look through this place.

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/Olives.htm

They have good info on fruit trees.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

well Newberry survived all the Tornadic activity tonite...had some harsh winds and rains...not looking forward to going into work tomorrow and see what happened there...let alone my own yard :o

DHS: lexington had some pretty bad storms tonite too...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

thanks, core... its a great site, and i'll look into it more deeply later.
red, how bad were they?? not as bad as the one that had the Lexington tornado (waaay back when i was like 3 or 4) were they?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

oh no not that bad...gusting winds to 50, Lake Murray was a mess from what I hear...I have several limbs down in the yard...thankfully none fell on the GH...I knew when the cats started meowing at the door something was coming cause they are all outdoor cats who never wanna come in

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

oh ok... nothin to worry bout! i remember boogie boarding on the lake when a storm was on its way... we left before it could have killed us, tho!

my Creeping Veronica

This message was edited Mar 5, 2008 9:30 PM

Thumbnail by

my other Creeping Veronica transplant from last years drought. Looking very good now...

Thumbnail by
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Rebecca, the creeping veronica are great here in my garden. They form a beautiful carpet this time of year. Mine are planted in the shade (north side of the house) and they bloomed without fail last 3-4 years.

it's a heack of a pretty carpet. Mine really stands out when you stand from the road because of it's blue little blossoms surrounded by red mulch and no green grass heheee

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Most of the Saucer Magnolias are affected by intermittent frost in our zone this year (like most years), but when they're untouched by frost, the blooms are beautiful against the late winter sky. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rebecca: We have the same Veronica! I love the stuff. :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Greenville, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone.

Verbena 'Snow Flurry'
Oxalis crassipes
Cyclamen coum
Rosemary
Daffodils (St Keverne, cananiculata and Ice Follies)
Hellebores
Violas "Johnny Jump Ups"
Kerria japonica plena (ONE bloom)
Camellia 'Professor Sergeant'
Camellia 'Nuccio's Pearl'
Camellia red...have no idea. :)
Verbena 'Homestead Purple'
.................I think that's it!

Pam

Greenville, NC(Zone 7b)

Oops...also Veronica 'Georgia Blue' now that I see the post before mine!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

on the island (hilton head) the bradford pears are barely starting... there are also some white trees that i have no idea as to what they are, but they're blooming too as well as redbuds and the azaleas (on the island0 are in full swing, or at least almost there

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I haven't noticed dogwoods but they might be starting to bloom on the island. Are those the white trees?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

nope they're some kind of fruit tree i think....i have never seen a dogwood down here

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.