Amaryllis Bulbs - To divide or not to divide??

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

About 5 years ago, I started out with one bulb, and through the years additional bulbs have formed. In the past year or so, I've noticed that I'm not getting as many flower stalks as I used to. I usually get 4 to 5 flower stalks at different times. (See: http://picasaweb.google.com/jyorton/Amaryllis)

The original bulb (the "mother" bulb) in the center of the pot not longer sprouts leaves, although it is still green. It hasn't bloomed in about 2-3 years.

Every few years I have to buy a new pot, because the bulb cluster becomes pot-bound and the pot begins to bend in shape.

Blooms occur in March-April (indoors) and the bulbs are outside in full sun from May-October. I do NOT force dormancy (darkness). Some years the bulbs keep their leaves, other years they drop them for about 6 weeks. The bulbs are in south window (sunny) during the winter, about 68 degrees F.

Questions:
1. Is there a limit to how long the bulbs will produce flower stalks?
2. At some point, do the bulbs need to be divided for growth?
3. Do you discard bulbs that no longer sprout leaves?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by ChicagoJim
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Lovely pictures and a lovely cluster of plants!

I am surprised that your motherbulb has remained alive but not produced any leaves for several years. I think it is just crowded out or otherwise kept from growing by the offsets drawing on it by still being attached and the competition for nutrients is too much to overcome. Younger bulbs tend to be more vigorous in root growth and don't leave much room for "mama" to grow a new ones. After awhile, they will all face that problem if left in a clump. The babies will make babies too and all will suffer in the long run.

I would suggest you seperate the clump rather than just potting the group up. I would pot them up singly in their own pot (and always clay for me) but you could seperate them from the motherbulb and then replant together in a suitably large pot, making sure there is room enough for all the roots and that good drainage is assured. Really large pots are a challenge, but it can be done if you want that lush single-pot look.

While huge pots are very impressive, at some point you actually have fewer scapes total than you would in several smaller pots, though the overall appearance is of productivity. At some point you'd have to divide anyway, to make room for each bulb to grow and produce to its fullest.

And, no, I wouldn't discard the dormant bulb. I would pot the mother in an 8-10" pot, depending on how large the healthy rootmass is. I think it would return to active growth if potted singly. Just clean the root system and pot in good fresh medium.

I have heard differing stories and opinions vary, but 20 years is easily achieved by modern hybrids and some say their bulb is still flowering after 50. I have heard of older bulbs too.

I think a key would be dividing and repotting every couple years (if not sooner) and of course, regular feeding.
R.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.