March 2008 FORUM....

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Final! Got Internet on! Phone is down too!

Hope it very nice today and I did picking all the broken branches clean up and rake up some dead leaves to curb! Hay bales spread out on my front porch that I hope it grow some grass... I have 3 more hay bales to spread it out for back yard which I try where the water goes for good drain (don't waste the dirt wash out quickly and it will become like pool area)... I hope it will be raining tomorrow maybe?

19 more days to March 20 Spring Time!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am enjoying the weather here. It's too windy to do any work outside but I ran errands and had my back window open. Saw alot of people at the car washes and lots of old vehicles out.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just took my old chevy truck for drive and sure run good... I has my nephew help me load the 3/4 inches of plywoods for floor which I has house in Webb City and I final got good help to fix house so I give a rent to own house... I have to not worry about it... Phew!

Nice day but rose up to 80* in Webb City...

Here just nice breeze windy... It nice fresh air...

Rusty has a good time to chase old squirrel mama (it make fun each one! lol)...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Final I got my phone repair this afternoon that phone man came out and find which wire is best and other is weak snip; the wires off and phone & Internet both up running good!

My nephew help me for floor at my home that I do cut good and he hold the wood while I cut... Just good perfect for my hall way floor that all for now.... ;

I have appt for non-surgery spine doctor next week...

Right now the weather get werid now first I went to Webb City for check out the house they fix the floor it was 79* that time few hours later now it get windy errie and cloudy just came quickly... Cool...
Later on, it will be bad T-storm tonight...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper23 message to me today and she having same thing I has phone and Internet problem before...

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Just stopped in to say H! to everyone here. Sure looking forward to spring also. Rusty and Pepper hope you both are doing fine. I'm so busy these days and it's great to be on Dave's a little this evening and check out some threads. March sounds so much better than February!!!

Cuckoo

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Cuckoo it has been a LONG time since I heard from you! Glad to see you are doing well. We had a really lovely weather today so I spent some time outside. Got all of the water garden stuff for the top pond out and was really pleased that the pumps and filters all started right up. The water is looking pretty ugly so I am hoping that the filters will improve that soon. Some of the bulbs in the garden are starting to pop up. It is still too early but hopefull they are sheltered enough so that when the cold weather comes back they will not be bitten too badly.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I am glad to see March. I am so ready for warmer weather. I look forward to being outside in 1 layer of clothing... lol...

I have been watching the geese fly by on their way back north. They are honking and seem glad to be going to their summer homes. There is energy in the air and everything seems just waiting to do it's 'spring thing'. The horses are acting all skittish and excited. They know change is in the air and like to strut around, head high, tails up.... then they take off running and bucking... I have little 'green things' starting to pop up everywhere... the daffodils are wanting to make their appearance.

We are getting the rain today from the storms going through... the weather folks threatened us with ice pellets today, but so far it hasn't happened... one can hope...

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Wow! You have green popping up? Congratulations! Maybe in a week or so I'll go out and check. Pretty sure nothing yet.

Somehow writing today's date, March 3, makes me feel so much better than starting the date with "February." Soon...

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Peeking ahead at my calendar, it's just a bit longer before I bring up the tender plants that are wintering in the basement. McGlory, you are right, March is sooo much better than Feb.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

McGlory, if you have any spring bulbs you'll have to step out on a nice day and take a look around. I noticed hyacinths pushing up a week ago. I didn't have a chance on Saturday while it was nice and yesterday just got too nasty to go out and look again.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, my goodness! Now I can't wait to look when I get home tonight! I have plenty o' bulbs, including hyacinths.

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Yesterday we had such a good day. We got to go outside and do some yard work. Played in my garden spot I decided to try to grow onions in some tires we had laying around. I was going to buy some long planters but figured my dogs would have a hay day with them and at 5 bucks a pop I figured my old tires were free and I don't think my dogs will drag them off, although they did have to come up and lay on them and see what I was doing so I will put a fence around them. I looked a seed and got my grandaughter some garden tools for her 5th birthday. She loves to dig in the dirt and plant anything. Today it is 32 rain sleet and maybe ice later. Missouri can please anyone warm, cold, rain, sleet, ice, snow all in about 24 hours. Who could want more? Rusty glad you got all the phone and internet issues worked out. I hope pepper has the same happen for her. Fsrstarr I have also seen many geese making their way some stopped over at a neighbors pond for a rest very fun to watch. I also saw lots of buzzards flying around. That is a sign of SPRING! Everyone have a good day.

I'm BAAAAAAACCCKKK!!!! LOL. It was an internet problem. Had to move the modem and reinstall the internet. But I had to call a cousin in Texas to get that figured out. He's my favorite family member right now. LOL.

Cuckcoo, sooooo glad to see you back on here again. You have been missed.

I have lots of tulips poking up now and some daffies also. I can't wait til I have color in the yard again.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hope all y'all had a great day..

I needed to run into town and thought, well the temperatures haven't fallen and it is still raining, so I jumped in the truck and a little over halfway there I started to notice that the rain was forming ice in the trees... and a bit further I started to notice that there was ice hanging in the fences... and I thought oh heck, I have made a boo boo... but being a bit stubborn, I decided to stick with my agenda and get my errands run... by the time I got to town the roads were icy and the rain had turned into pellets that sting when they hit you in the face... I ran through and did my errands and sure enough it looked worse when I headed for home. As I drove slowly and carefully along... I started to notice that the ice pellets had changed to rain, and that the roads were not a solid sheet of ice, and then a bit further I noticed that there was not so much ice in the fences and the trees... and by the time I got to my turn off there was very little ice anywhere... and when I got home the ice was just starting to accumulate... we are pretty iced over now .... is that not bizarre? I was just lucky that we had not gotten it out where I live yet....

I had put Peggy Dean out in the small field for awhile, and when I got home and went to get her, she almost mugged me to get into her halter and come back up to the barn... lol... I ended up just letting her follow me up... no halter needed... the other ones were puddled up under the overhang waiting for their evening alfalfa...

They are threatening us with more of the same again tomorrow... and several inches of snow on top of the ice... hope they change their minds, I am sick of the white stuff... I do not know how y'all do it up north... I get cabin fever and I miss the smell of the earth...

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Well we got lucky... It snowed most of the morning... and melted most of the afternoon... We did not get a fraction of what they said... and I can see the ground, so I am pleased as can be...

It is going to get up to 40's tomorrow, so I will try to get caught up on my beds. They somehow managed to get the zillionth layer of leaves and definitely I see some little faces peeping up at me... They are wee daffodils, and some mini iris have started coming out, too... My crocus and hyacinth grew one year and disappeared...they did not show up this year, so I will try them again next year I guess. Also the glads disappeared... geez, I have forgotten how many things have gone missing... Oh, well, guess that is what co-ops are for... ;) ...

When I was just a newbie here, there were some bad influences that taught me, and ... well... I have become addicted. It is all their fault... and they know who they are ... when I first showed up here they were going on about goat poop, which got my interest right away, and they enticed me with DL's like Burning Daylight, and Iris like Chanted and Irish Chant, Lilies like Monte Negro and the Fellowship Lily.... you see it was these that were my undoing... it is just not my fault... my addiction grew and now I just have to have more and more...

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Don't feel alone, starr. I have 225 bulbs coming, glads/lilies/cannas, and it's all the fault of those darn co-op people.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hey McGlory, did you check for hyacinths? I saw some peonies pushed up through the ground today when I was out walking around the garden area. I need to find something to cover them up with so they don't freeze off!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I checked throughly. I definitely don't have anything happening yet, except I did find a few tiny nice green weeds. They're gone now. :-)

Yep, those co-op people are such garden enablers! I only have a few bulbs coming compared to the above bulb addicts.Today, I went to check on a garden bed..still frozen like solid ice!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

You are so right about those garden enablers that run those (wonderful) co-ops... but I was in hopes those 'bad influences' I was referring to would happen by here and see themselves in the names of the plants they shared with me.... (big grin)... They may yet come along and see themselves...

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper, what is the date of the RU?

Thanks
Joyce

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It on April 19 at 10 am....

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good job McGlory! Get 'em before they have a chance to reproduce!

It will be awhile before I get into the yard, we had 10 inches of snow yesterday with drifts even higher. Hubby is home sick with the flu, we are staying home!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

It was a beautiful day. Sunny, warmer and the promise of nice days coming...

DH and I rode all over the property checking for tree damage. There is a lot of clean up to do. I hate it when I lose the tops out of cedar and pine trees. Also the trails in the woods are blocked in several places. Overall, somebody will be doing a lot of chain saw work before we get done. :>)

The dogs had a blast chasing us and each other and running through the creeks. They are all still flowing with the run off from the rains and snow. They are all tuckered out and napping around me as I type.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The storms missed the area Kris lives in. Only some good rain on Sunday evening. It has been cold but that is all. Same here on the farm. It was nice enough here on the farm this afternoon I put everyone but old Tasha outside. It sure is good to be back home. I've done little this afternoon. Tomorrow life will get back to normal I hope.

Starr, I'm so sorry to hear your farm was hit so badly. It does sounds like there will be a lot of cleaning up to be done. Do you use a chipper/shredder and get that kind of use of the damage? Or do you push a lot up into big piles to be used by the wildlife for homes?

Cathy, I'm sorry to hear you and your DH are having a hard time up there in the St. Louis area. I pray you don't get sick too.

Kris and I dug some of her bulbs and perennial plants on Sat. We got a lot of them but others are solidly anchored in still frozen soil. We potted them in some of the compost Shad and one of his friends had dug out. Kris had a small compost pile that was mostly frozen but enough was thawed to put into the empty rain barrels and move to the new house & for us to use in the pots. I noticed yesterday that the bulbs had really started growing. The beds she has at the new house are already planted in something & she doesn't want to disturb anything until she knows for sure what is there. No, it isn't all weeds. Some of them we recognize but can't remember the name, others are old favorites.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Starr, we have to make sure it is nice and warm and there is no ice on the ground when I come down in a few weeks. I want to be outside in only one maybe two layers. lol

Happ, the RU starts at 10am but I will be there around 8am so from then on we are open for business. :~)

I will have balloons at the end of the road and driveway to help catch your eye but no signs. All the roads are well marked so we decided against them. :~)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Sorry to hear about the bad weather up your way Cathy. We were very fortunate here. They were predicting several inches of snow but nothing happened. The weather today was pretty mild but it is cold again this evening. More bulbs are peeking out though. I feel like going into the garden and saying "Stop that unless you want your little noses bitten off" 'cause I know that we will probably still get some bitter weather.

People are so kind. This morning we woke up to find our driveway had been plowed by a man from church who heard my husband was sick, and knows I can't do physical stuff. Wasn't that just the nicest thing?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

There are definitely angels in our midst. :-) So nice of someone to take the time and energy for you, Cathy.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Cathy , that was an answer to many prayers. GOD will bless him for allowing himself to be used to help you & your husband.

Baby chicks are cheeping frantically. I think they finally miss their momma. I put her outside yesterday. She was getting testy with Holly yesterday morning. I know it was just that she was going stir crazy.

The stool and bathtub in the main bathroom are still plugged up so today I'll get some strong acid to pour in the tub drain. We know the stoppage is beyond the tub somewhere. Fortunately those are the only 2 things in the house that aren't draining properly. Even the sink in the bathroom is draining fine. If the acid doesn't work properly we will have to use a rotor rooter on it from the stool on past the tub. I'll clean out the septic tank this summer. It hasn't been done for about 4 years but that time it had been nearly 15 years since it had been cleaned. We have a 2 tank system, neither of which is very large. 4' deep and each holds about 30 gallons. The second tank drains off into a field where it is all absorbed into the soil. It has been working fine for years. Sometimes we have to go down to the end of the pipes and clear away the soil that has washed over the outlet from natural erosion. Boy is the soil rich down there. Weeds grow wonderfully in that area!! It is too wet to do much farming but the nutients must leach out into the soil eventually. Maybe I should go get a few pailsful to put in my compost pile to get it really going good this spring.

It was good to sleep in my own bed last night. WOW. I'm still stiff this morning but that is natural. Especially in cold weather, but I'm going to try to get life back to normal today. I have to go to town and deliver the many boxes I brought home from Kris's to food banks, pay bills, etc.

Thinking of everyone. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I has been so busy this time and I was with my nephew his girlfriend shopping for house need refrigator, stove, microwave and dishwash...

Also I brought brand new on sale topcook gas and I have new electric topcook so I get 40% off discount! Also I brought 2 windows which I plan to make cold frames this year....

We has a good mexican restaurant buffet and I love the roll up the tortillas cheese sauce oh it so good and took some take-out for my next meal...

I had good time today but it kind little bit chill all afternoon!

Rusty just almost catch old mama squirrel so close about 1 foot...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My friend Geraldine died at a bit after 4 this afternoon. I sure will miss her.

There is so much white hair on the floor in the living room I could cover a small kitten. lol. I'll vaccum in a bit.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, leaflady, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Sorry to hear about Geraldine.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Are you doing OK Leaflady?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I pray for you Leaflady So Sorry about your friend...

Leaflady~ so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend Geraldine. Prayers for you, her family and friends...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you, everyone. I am ok. Very concerned about some attitude issues she had and how they may have impacted where she spends eternity. Her son is very concerned about it too. We only pray that she made things right between herself and JESUS before she slipped into eternity. She had a lot of unforgiveness and bitterness that she just would not let go of.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.