Trying to ID fern

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

I just purchased a fern that was simply labeled "Assorted Fern". It has very fine, delicate leaves. Some florist use it in bouquets. Any ideas. I tried searching for it but without some idea of its name, I am having a difficult time. Thanks!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Can you post a photo?

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Hey Resin - that was quick! lol Yes give me a few minutes and I will try to - thanks!

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

This is it.

Thumbnail by Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Here's another pic - not great shots - sorry

Thumbnail by Ems_Garden
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

that looks like an asparagus (not a fern) like I have as a houseplant.
I just cannot recall its specie name..

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I think I found it; Asparagus setaceus
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2575/

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Bonitin - thats exactly what it is - thank you so very much - it is a plumosa fern, part of the asparagus group - and yes I know now that it is not really a fern - strange lol I am so glad to know what it is finally - I was looking all last night and this morning trying to id it.

Well it is a beautiful spring day here - out to the yard I go - have a great day!
Em.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for looking for me Bonitin - we were posting at the same time

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

You're very welcome epb! :-)

Hi EPB, does that have thorns on it? I have several Aspargus ferns that are 3+years old but have no thorns, as this is said to ~ My guess is mine is a different typei suppose, althoughthe berrys/fruit on mine are white. I think yours is a finer almost hair-thin like leaves? Mine is really common, like the 'foxtail' variety, right? (you have one potted next to it in the 2nd pic.). I am just confused about the thorns. As these are not really "ferns" I have just grabbed them and never really read up on them, they do real well in las vegas withtons of H2O and good drainage. Never seen thorns on any of these before.
fernman23

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

There are many types of Asparagus, only some have thorns.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=asparagus&Search=Search+PlantFiles

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I have several Aspargus ferns

Asparagus is NOT a fern!!

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi fernman - no, mine do not have thorns on it. The leaves are indeed very fine - The first word that came to mind when I was trying to describe it was "mist", if that makes any sense lol It is just very very fine and delicate looking. Yes, that was a foxtail on side of it. Check out the link from Bonitin

Edited to add - Mine may not have thorns yet as it is a young plant. Maybe they will develop later.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2008 6:58 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.