Abiu fruit.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Carol sent me some Abiu friut - Mahalo, mahalo, mahalo! We had the first one tonight and I have to tell you it is one of the most delicious fruits I have ever eaten. The one we tried had one precious seed in it which is drying on the window sill per instructions, will plant it Sunday. I hope I don't blow it - I really need to have this tree in my life!

I am posting a picture of Abiu for any of you who have never heard of it before (like me). When I looked it up I found out that it comes from the Amazon region, and Brazil. The skin contains latex, so we were very careful to just scoop the fruit out with a spoon, goodness knows I didn't want my lips stuck together for work tomorrow, but no problem. The best thing is it tastes like caramel....

It is also known as Yellow Star Apple and Caimo. The real name is Pouteria Caimito. I have put an ordinary sized lime next to the Abiu so you can get an idea of the size.

Carol also tells me that the fruit grows along the branches and the trunk.

Thanks so much Carol - you're a real pal!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Caramel? Yum! What is the inside texture like? Can you compare it to another fruit for us, if possible?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH good, they got there....

The texture, to me, is like custard, as well...or a soft peach...

Happy you love it...

C

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hmmm, custard or a soft peach. Those are the same comparisons I have heard for Durian...which is so stinky no one can stand it! Sounds like you've got a winner there! How long from seed to fruit? Anyone know?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

2 years? 3?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

That sounds really good!! Another fruit to try. :~)

I am wanting to try the acai berry. I have a really good recipe for it but keep forgetting to find some around here.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I've never heard of that one Pepper...details please.

It's a Brailizan fruit that is the new *it* food. Used in all kinds of products.

http://www.acai.vg/

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info...looks interesting!

I thought so too. I saw a recipe in our local paper for Blueberry crisp a la mode w/ acai sauce so I really want to try it. It sounds too good not to!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OT...but I just made Sheri's bread pudding and will top it with a fresh fruit sauce made from my passionfruit, Jenny's mango and frozen berries. Think i will add some sugar as the passionfruit and berries are kind of sour.....

The dish is too small, didn't understand the bread thing floating to the top but it should be fine... who cares? it should taste good!!!

C

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh Carol, it sounds wonderful! Hmmm, wonder how the leftovers would ship? Ha ha! the gang is out diving this afternoon, and I'm making Chicken Marbella for dinner, gonna have a crowd and I haven't figured out what to do about dessert...maybe just ice cream and cookies! But oh that bread pudding sounds so good...let us know how you like it!

That bread pudding has my mouth watering.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Shari...you want to try a seed?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Girl, you KNOW I can't say no! I'd love to, but don't short yourself!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Been gone all day trying to help my cousins prepare for an estate sale. Their parents, my aunt and uncle both died within 4 months of each other, 90 and 94 years young. OMG. Think I will stary diveting myself of all this junk next week.
The fruits you describe just make my mouth water. Mike purchased a case of Mango this week from Costco. Well, it looks like Mango. I don't know how to describe the taste after having been at Jenny's. I am RUINED! He bought so-called "bananas". I am RUINED! Which of you would like us to just move in with you? ooooops. bad question.

Kilikina

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

I've always found store bought mangos way too perfumy...is that the right word? More scent than taste, and what taste there is, is like liking my wrist after applying perfume. Like they spray em with foo foo or something. I'll take papayas anyday...can eat them in just about any form...from the store, from the tree, and in Mexico...on a stick!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

In NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS, we don't have many choices. They think apples (from somewhere) is the only fruit we need. Yuk!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yeah. What is the big deal with a hundred different kinds of apples? Why not 10 different kinds, and then 90 different fruits???

Aloha!

Just in from work, late to the party as usual!
Rotten job, Christi, are you all done?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Missed you last night, Jen. Been thinking about Margaret all this morning. Is she ok? Tell her I send best wishes. Would really like to have a banana and papaya for breakfast. mmmmm such sweet memories. Carol, another fruit of the gods. You guys are really fortunate.

Christi

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I did a google search to try to find someone that carried it. I guess I must be computer challenged because I did not find anything. What nurseries can I order this plant from?

Mangos from the store up here taste like flavored cardboard. Ugh.

Found some for you tet!! There's more too.

www.gaiayoga.org/nursery/prices_hawaii.html#fnt

This one appears to be a wholesale company in Puerto Rico but has good pics so you can see what different fruit look like. It also has the abiu.

www.panoramicfruit.com/Coming_in_2008.htm

This one has seeds for sale. www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistforeign.html

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pepper! I went to the sources you listed and think I may be ordering some seeds or a plant. What fun!

I have read that seed must be super fresh, perhaps a plant would be a better bet?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jenny....some of your mangos went into my berry/lilicoi sauce...so naturally sweet I didn't have to add sugar!!! So good. Thanks again!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Mike is still talking about how good the mangos were. And everything else...

I had a hard time finding the sources at first. But then I realized I spelled the name wrong. lol. Got that fixed and just typed abiu fruit for sale and got some hits.

Christi, you should just move to Hawaii. lol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That isn't an option just now but the visit will live on in our hearts forever. We have too much family that we are very close to and can't see being away from them long periods of time. Guess I could try to convince everyone to sell all we have, pool the cash and all go together. Surely we could all find jobs of some sort. Want to go with us, Pepper? There are several botanical gardens on Maui.

LouC

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And horses too Pepper! Nothing quite like a ride on the beach in the early morning hours before the heat sets in...

Just one seed in the second fruit too, by the way it was delicious! Planted both seeds today, and special directions Carol? I just stuck them in a pot on their side....
Glad you enjoyed the mango, but I can't for the life of me think how you got it back to the BI still frozen? You had better plan on another visit soon, the freezer is still full, and this year looks as if there is going to be a big crop on the trees.
Thanks for the link Pepper, nice to have that if my seeds fail, keep your fingers X'ed!
Aloha to all..

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Fingers and toes, Jenny...keep us posted.

Yokwe everyone!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jenny...that should work. Be patient...

No worries...Carol will be in Maui with bells on when the mangoes are producing!!! Hiring a container!!! LOL

Carol

I would love to go to Hawaii but I don't fly....at all. lol.

I hope those seeds germinate. And it was no problem finding the sources. I like a challenge. lol

If anyone wants to try acai products here is a company that makes and sells a few things. I am gonna try to get my hands on some of them. :~)

www.sambazon.com/

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Anyone know where I can get seeds of the ACAI?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HAHAHA... I think we have them growing in the orchard!!!!

Here is a link about the fruit. http://www.rain-tree.com/acai.htm

This message was edited Mar 8, 2008 4:54 PM

One of the links I provided for the abiu fruit also sells acai. Fruit Lovers I think it was.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.