Are Wallflowers rebloomers

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I just went to Lowes today and they had tons of new plants out! I know I shouldn't buy now (Frost date here is 4/15 and it did snow 2 days ago), but it was so hard to resist. But I did. I'm amazed at myself. :)

Anyway, The wallflowers and dianthus were blooming. Will they re-bloom after these blooms die off. I've heard that some dianthus do, but I really don't know about the wallflower.

I really loved my wallflowers last spring, and I think they are coming back. But I also heard that these are annuals and another source said bi-annuals.

So what's the correct life cycle of a wallflower? If I deadhead, will it bloom again?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Nobody responded, but here's an FYI:

Funny, I got my answer from a previous notefrom....threegardeners!
Here's what she wrote in the plant files:

On Feb 6, 2007, threegardeners from North Augusta, ON
(Zone 5a) wrote:

Beautiful plant, grows well here in Ontario. If kept dead headed will bloom all summer. Highly scented

She's in 5a and I'm in 7a, but I'm hoping our conditions are similar enough.
Back to Lowes.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The (Siberian) wallflowers I had at our last house (Cheiranthus) bloomed early spring, set seed, and either died or looked bad for the rest of the summer. Then the next year the cycle would repeat. It was a good reseeder.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

That is exactly how mine did. That's why I was wondering if I could prolong the bloom time by dead heading. But since both of ours died off/looked scraggly as summer came, I'm thinking not. The flowers did last a long time thought!
Thanks

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

I planted wallflowers here several weeks ago and they bloomed for many weeks. I figured that was it, but this week they are reblooming and I had not cut off the seed pods since the first bloom. This was my first time with these flowers purchased at a Target store and I am very pleased.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Well, I bought them. Salmon/peach colored and a variagated variety with blue flowers. I love them and couldn't resist. I really love the bright orange, so I hope a local nursery will have those soon too. This year should teach me the bloom cycle for my zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.