Part five of Let's see what you have blooming right now.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Continued from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/809740/.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Rio Negro

Thumbnail by bsharf
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Benfica

Thumbnail by vossner
Ewing, VA

Baby Doll...Oh so cute with it's 3" flower!!!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Together with Fanfare...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And together with my mislabeled Rilona (Flair)....

Raydio...This Flair is still amaaaaazing me still in bloom right now on it's second scape. Very well behaved flowers, inspite of very low light, it has maintained upright flowers, flower color and scapes did not get tall. Second scape produced 5 flowers!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow! Very impressive size difference.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love that Baby Doll! Here's the controversial Limona I got yesterday. I saw that the same store had a crinum in bud. Should I run back and get it today before work??

Thumbnail by boojum
Ewing, VA

Go,go,go...get it! LOL!!!

Anther one that opened it's first flower for me yesterday, Striped Panther.
It has such a sweet smell...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And Night Star...

Thumbnail by mariava7

Look at all those buds. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Ewing, VA

And another Sonatini...Cupido in it's second season.

Thumbnail by mariava7

Lovely! I love your hippeastrums, mariava!! What are your sources? Do you grow from seed?

Things are really popping at Maria's! Gorgeous show!

I love the pic with Flair and Baby Doll. Really brings out the difference in flower size. That Baby Doll is a charmer! So sweet and pure, elegantly formed, just radiant!

Thanks for mentioning the scent of Striped Panther--never heard that before.

Love that Benfica, Vossner. (I always used to call it "Benefica")

R.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2008 10:49 AM

me too! i thought it was a typo lol
i'm enthralled w/ babydoll

Vossner~

It rolls off the tongue more "trippingly", eh?

R.

Ewing, VA

A playful Baby Doll. "Peek-a-boo..."

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Boojum...My sources are just like your sources here in US. Oh, and I have some very good friends that help out. :-) Yes, I grow some seeds too of my cross pollinations.

Raydio...I am still thinking that this is not Flair. I have a Trensetter that did not flower...bummer! But the pic of Trendsetter that came with the bulb looks very similar to this. Anybody has a pic of thier Trendsetter in bloom?

Romance...not flowering quite right but still pretty...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Another lady in red...Grand Cru.

Thumbnail by mariava7

My Aphrodite in bloom!

Thumbnail by
Ewing, VA

Giraffe just opened it's flowers today.

With Night Star...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And with the "cybister gang" LOL!

(whispering) "Raydio is the "Godfather"!

Enjoy!!!

Thumbnail by mariava7

Maria---OMG--that stunning cybisters pic!!!!!!!!
{swoon}

Hope you find something about Flair vs Trendsetter. I've never seen Trendsetter. Miss Read says Trendsetter is salmon-pink and white and Flair is salmon-orange and white.

Could the telling character be the bloom size:

According to Miss Read, Trendsetter would be smaller: 7.5" while Flair is a whopper at 8-10". BTW, Faro (another salmon-pink and white) would be between the two (more or less) around 8.25-8.75".

Hope that distributors aren't making "unnanounced substitutions" with the three...

R.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Maria: This is my Romance from 2 months ago. At the time, I was disappointed since the edges of the blooms never completely uncurled. I wondered it there was something not quite right about it, or was that the way it was supposed to look. But, the bulb never produced roots, and it finally rotted all the way through to the center, so I discarded it, before it infected everything else. So I hope you have better luck with yours.

Thumbnail by bsharf
San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

My Elvas opened today and that only leaves Charisma and Picotee for this season. Maria Goretti is very disappointing and not worth taking up cyberspace with a photo! I want Double Picotee but I can't seem to find one now and it is pretty late in the season anyway.

This is in the afternoon!

Thumbnail by vanillaman

Elvas at night!

Thumbnail by vanillaman

Beautiful! My Elvas are thru blooming but have many others starting to spike!

vanillaman~

Please do share a picture of 'Maria Goretti'. That is a *very* old hybrid that hasn't been sold in the US for many, many, many years. It is certainly a heirloom worth having and one worth sharing in a picture.

There are many amaryllis enthusiasts that are interested in the "lost" hybrids of the past. You have a treasure there, even if it has been surpassed by other hybrids.

R.

I know where there are some of the old Orange ones that were around many years ago, my mother grew them. They were in all the yards back then. I must get some of them.

Ok raydio, I'll share! Thanks for the encouragement but I didn't get a very good shot of her. I guess she's a very old hybrid like me so we have something in common, lol! I'm attempting a cross between her, or him because it is the pollen parent, and Benfica, just for fun!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2008 10:18 PM

Thumbnail by vanillaman

Thanks, vanillaman!

There's a lot to like about Maria Goretti (two sources have it spelled Marie Goretti), especially the ruffled edge and the touch of red on the keels. MG is also noted for repeat-blooming later in the season. It's one of Ludwig's introductions from at least 1953, and has been much used in breeding other whites and in developing doubles.

Wherever did you get it???

It would make a great addition to the Plantfiles.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more pix, especially when the flower is fully matured, say, in a day or two... pretty please... :-)

This message was edited Mar 3, 2008 11:34 PM

Thanks raydio, I'm flattered and didn't know I had such a "treasure" here. Sorry about the name. I threw the box away and I had written "Maria". Maybe because I hear that name so much here, lol! I found her in a Supermarket in Canada in Dec. when I was there. There was a stack of boxed hippeastrums, 3 for $20 so I bought M.G., Picotee, and Dutch Belle, but I think D.B. turned out to be Appleblossom. The 3rd bulb has a bud just emerging now from the bulb so I won't know til it opens exactly what I ended up with.

I will definitely take more photos tomorrow and Wed. but then I'm going away for a few days to Nicaragua. Thanks for shedding all that light on my prize M.G. Now she seems a little nicer, at least more interesting. At first I found the flower very boring, although I wasn't expecting a pure, clear white. I was hoping for a pale yellow/beige colour. It's just a little too green in the centre for my liking, but yes I do like the ruffled edge and the petals are quite substantial/heavy. I wish I something better to cross her with. If you'd like some pollen, I'd be glad to send you some. There are still 2 flowers to open and another bud is emerging from the bulb so I will have plenty!

Aschaffenburg, Germany

@Boojum

Most intense yellow I have ever seen in amaryllis so far...or art of photography?

vanillaman~

About the spelling: I don't know which is the correct one.

Maybe it was "Marie" back in the 50's when the books were written (one by Schultz and one by Traub) and was changed to "Maria" at some point since then. Veronica Read has it as "Maria" in her book. Maybe the 50's authors had it wrong?

That's interesting that is being grown and sold currently! I think that 'Ludwig's Dazzler' dominates the solid whites market here, perhaps by force of the name being so well-known, like 'Red Lion'.

R.

That yellow green is real, gofast.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Monte Carlo from Royal Colors. I really like this one: the bloom is a nice size (7 1/2 ins) and the color is a raspberry red.

Thumbnail by bsharf

Here is Marie/Maria Goretti today. She's very slow to fully open!

Thumbnail by vanillaman

Another pic for raydio!

Thumbnail by vanillaman
Aschaffenburg, Germany

Talking about yellow....in the German forum they were quoting Veronica M. Read...saying the real yellow still has to be found/created...I find that yellow pioneer is getting close to real yellow. I lost an article that was talking about yellow bulbs that were somewhere in America in private possession, some college, I believe. These bulbs never made it onto the commercial market (perhaps luckily I should say). So yellow, good yellow must be somewhere...Can anybody show his or her yellowest?

what is the german forum???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.