07's Datura

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

Brought in 3 potted daturas last Nov as their seeds hadn't ripened yet.
They finally ripened in Jan but were strange looking,,,white stuff on them..and so far i haven't got a seedling from any of their seeds I planted.... .but anyway...they got watered once in a while and now green leaves are showing near the bottom of the main stalk....My question is...will theses plant s regrow from roots or what should I do with them? Any info would be appreciated
helen

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Helen,

The white stuff on the seeds is probably chaff. Datura can take their own sweet time coming up and they like it warm. Your wintered over plant is coming out of dormancy. You can cut the main stalk back to about an inch above the new growth and that will encourage more growth. I'd also put the plant in a sunny, south facing window until it is safe to leave outdoors.

X

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi X Thanks for the info...
they have been in my son's conservatory which is at the S part of his house.....we have had a very dreary winter...the sun makes rare appearances and our last frost date is in mid May (Oh to have a longer growing season). My apt is at the E side of the house and right now my side has 18 inches of snow, my son said. The rest of the yard has about 8 in. My wintersowns are nowhere to be seen.
I will cut them back (the daturas) and hope they'll seed sooner this summer. There are 2 of them I'd like to take out of the pots and plant in a new front garden when frost seasons is past...will that be ok to do? This year I planted some new Datura seeds
when you had a post up somewhere stating,,time to start
Last year was my first at planting Daturas and I didn't
get the seeds planted till March....so thanks for the starting date this year.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They will do very well in the ground. I grow mine in very large containers. I'd start feeding them to give them a head start so that by May they will be well established plants when they go into the ground.

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.