Figleaf Hollyhocks

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

What do you all know about figleaf hollyhocks? I had one and liked it a lot, then the monster bunny, I think, got it when I wasn't looking a couple of times and it just never could get going again. Anyway I have seeds to start again this year but I have been finding different classifications for these. I always thought this type was considered a perennial but I find them listed in PF as biennials like most of the A.rosea. Does anyone know? If you grow them do they come back every year? They are supposed to be more resistant to rust which mine was at least in the short time it lived here. Do you find this also?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Never heard of it either. Wonder if Adam used it when he felt more colorful...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jeez they reseed so crazily for me I can't even tell. I don't have rust on any so I don't know.

Hey - I found a pic.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The ones I know as figleaf, alcea ficifolia, are much more reliably perennial than the others. They probably are still classified as biennial, though.

Mine come back every year. We have had them around the concrete garage for over 15 years. They get limited (but occassional) rust.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Okay good. I thought they were supposed to be more like a perennial. Love that pic Al, I hope I can get mine passed the monster bunny to get that big and beautiful. Thanks everyone for the info. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.