Mitch's article

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Can any one identify that first iris for me?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mitch gave credit to "fallingfeather" for the photos but I didn't find anyone with that name on DG. Try writing directly to Mitch for an answer.

I'd guess it's a Louisiana iris but that's just a guess.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I checked Plant Files on Black Gamecock and found the very picture Mitch used. Perhaps fallingfeather is no longer a member but that name is the one on the photo. It is a Louisiana Iris, one of the most popular ones. You can either search PlantFiles for "Black Gamecock" or you can go to the first page of the PlantFiles Tab, then click on Irises and you will see "Black Gamecock" listed as one of the top ten plant files.
I traded with a DG member for it and am experimenting with it here in cold dry New Mexico. I haven't had it long enough yet to bloom, but I have high hopes. It certainly is a beauty judging by the pictures.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Not one that will live here then too dry :o( For some reason I though it was a japanese one.

South Hamilton, MA

Black gamecock bloomed in MA when people thaought it was too cold for LA

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I do have one place in my garden where there that tends to be wet even the hottest part of summer. Maybe it is at least worth one try.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Sure! Give it your leftover (cooled) coffee every day. Just fill the pot with water and you'll make the Louisiana or JI very happy.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I kept one outdoors over the winter here in Los Alamos, NM ( alt. 7,300ft) temperatures down to zero, fair amount of snow. It appears to have made it through the winter. Louisiana is hot and wet and soil is acid, but this one seems to tolerate cold. Just keep it wet while you keep it warm. I am guessing that some shade would be good. I am also pushing the limits and the data isn't all in yet, but it just might work. Some Louisianas are tougher than others and yours shouldn't object to the heat. Do you have a pond or some water feature? If so, plant it there. Isn't it a beauty?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Black Gamecock was not dug up nd brought in two winters ago so I left it in the garden again this year. No bloom last year though. If no bloom this summer I will bring it in along with my other LAS.

inanda zone2b - but LOTS of snow to keep it cozy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.