Carnivorous plants: need trading and advice!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Okay.. so I've seen too many National Geographic shows about carnivorous plants and I want to try growing a few of these challenging beauties. What would people suggest I start with? I'd like suggestions that are not too expensive (I'm a poor college kid!) & easy to find (I'm sort of in a gardening dessert here... nobody this far north grows anything that can't stand a good beating or trampling by a moose! I try to be like all you southerners and use a greenhouse, but the people here don't understand the concept of wanting things just because they're pretty!)

I'm willing to trade if any of you have got seeds of something I could start on, or I can send SASE or whatever. Mostly I'm looking for something that would be a good starter or introduction to carnivorous plants.

Thanks everyone!
Andrea

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

I don't have anything to trade, nor advice. I'm going to start an outside bog this year, still full of questions myself. Do wish you good luck tho!

Hello lobsterandi,

It's going to be challenging growing most readily available species of CPs outside year round in MN. I'm growing mostly temperates species where I garden that can be grown outside but please know my zone is on the fringe of hardiness already and that I have a decent sized temperate species greenhouse.

It's a real bad time of year to be looking for seed. Most people have started their seed by now. It's an even worse time of year for you to be looking for plants to order because of the air temps.

I am racking my brain and all I can come up with is the seed bank-
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/seedmain.html
Unfortunately, you'd have to join their org to get access to the seed bank but the cost of seeds at only $2 a pack would offset any annual fee in no time at all. All of the seed is fresh. I am so sorry- coming up empty handed as most seed changes hands in the fall. My friends are totally wiped out other than having some seeds of some species you wouldn't want to start with let alone probably wouldn't want in your home. I feel bad, I can't even contact any friends on your behalf.

Poor you, tough time of year to catch the CP bug.

Chesapeake, VA

Well...I can suggest a vendor for carnivorous plants. He is "the real thing." Prices for plants are about $10 up.

http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/

On the other hand, if you don't want to buy from a real plantsman, my local Wal-grens drugstore is selling Venus flytraps. If mine has it, yours probably does, too. And, strangely enough, it looks like there are about 4 varieties. I couldn't believe it. As I said in another thread, they won't be in good health for long - Wal-grens is not set up to care for them properly. They cost $6 apiece.

The website I mentioned offers experience and good advice, and this guy is reputable. He offers a fantastic variety. He knows all there is to know about this sort of thing. So, if you are in Wal-grens, take a gander at what they have, but don't lose that website URL.

I have a "mini-bog" with a GORGEOUS pitcher plant I got from him years ago when it was just a tiny thing. The "veins" look like dark rose lace at the top. It is nearly 2 ft tall now. And growing...

I'm going to order a sundew from him. He has some pretty ones...red, dewdrops glistening on tentacles...

And...for you "pond people"...he has an underwater carnivorous plant...

Chesapeake, VA

Andrea,
Don't lose hope too quickly with CP. I killed several flytraps before I got the the balance right for my current flytrap (about 3 years old now).

My mini-bog is a little tray (about 8inches square). I have two species of pitcher plants in it and the flytrap. The pots seem to be breaking down for some reason - so I have a mucky mess there. I try to keep their toes wet. The plants seem to like it.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Lowes carries some from time to time, VFTs, pitchers, sundews. Try a Sundew, they can be grown all year indoors. I grow all my CPs in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I think my Lowes is deficient... lol None there.

Chesapeake, VA

I've seen them in Lowe's, too. So far I've contributed to the demise of several Cobra lilies from Lowe's. I wish I could keep them alive!

Of course, the website guy has Cobra lilies, too...

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Once I remember seeing a pretty little plant that attracted bugs to get stuck on its leaves. I know that doesn't really count towards a carnivorous plant, but does anyone know what its called? I want to say somethingwart....

Butterwort, or rather Pinguicula spp. They are carnivorous plants.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5440.html

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Lobster that could be a Sundew. They ARE carnivorous.

Quoting:
attracted bugs to get stuck on its leaves

Quoting:
I want to say somethingwart...

I suppose he/she could have been referring to sundews or rather Drosera spp. but doubtful as most people new to the hobby don't describe Drosera leaves as being leaves. Come to think of it, most people don't describe P. gypsicola as having leaves either but that would be an odd-plant in the genus out so to speak.

Butterwort images-
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Pinguicula.html
http://images.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=pinguicula+&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Chesapeake, VA

Well, shoot, I think they ALL are cool!

I took my Wal-grens specials out of their plastic cylinders, put them in their own mini-swamp, and put them out on the porch. They are doing GREAT. Haven't caught any flies yet, though.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Hmm.. no one has any butterwort listed to trade. Also sad! lol

I got a catalogue that has venus fly traps... the entire catalogue looked kinda shady but I might be tempted to try anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.