CLOSED: Identify This Bird Please - Volume 6.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Starting vol. 6 as vol. 5 had hit over 150 posts. If you would like to jump back to volume 5 this hyperlink will take you there: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/813866/

This is a little difficult, but can anyone, other than Resin, identify this chick.

If no one can identify this chick, I'll post another picture including a parent.
Gary

TYPO

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 5:47 AM

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thanks for starting the new thread!

I know what it is to genus, but not to species. **** chicks are notoriously difficult to identify, even ringers (banders) often have to wait for the parents to return to their chicks to get them identified after they've been ringed.

Resin

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This picture of the chick with a parent should change the impossible to simple.
Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Yeah, it's one of those!! LOL :-)

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yep your right Nanny, it one of those sea gull, ...................( fill in the blank). LOl

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 4:28 PM

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Ok, I just looked at the book and could it be Black-Legged Kittiwake??? The book cut the tail off.

Larus canus brachyrhynchus a.k.a. Larus brachyrhynchus (likely to be split from Larus canus fairly soon).

Resin

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Resin,
The Mew Gull is the most common gull in Anchorage. I'd never paid any attention to the scientific name. I checked my book shelf, and found all of the above possibilities, in different books.
Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Well Nanny, for us inexperienced birders, it's a Mew Gull. I still had to search my book, to find that big word for a name, I could understand :))

Fairly subtle, but consistent, differences from Common Gull L. canus canus

Resin

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

That second picture looks like the species "BIRDus LINEus UPus"

Thanks, burn!!

LOL, Mrs. Ed!

I glad my sense of humor didn't upset anyone! (I hope) Learned something new today didn't we!

Las Cruces, NM

I couldn't get close enough to get a good picture; but can anyone tell me ... Is this a Northern Flicker?

Thumbnail by NM_Jane

Yes it is Jane, Red-shafted (Western form)

Las Cruces, NM

Thanks Angele. This was another new one to add to my list.

They are very shy around here. Fly away quick!

Klamath River, CA

Canada Goose and ????

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

and ??? had to take these from a very long distance with the sun at the wrong angel.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 7:39 AM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Bird at the back is a Wood Duck

The two together may be American Wigeon, but not enough detail visible to be certain.

Resin

Klamath River, CA

Thanks resin........I was leaning towards Wood Duck, but wasn't sure.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

My first ever pic of a woodpecker. Not a very good pic I know, but Hairy or Downey? Taken this morning in my yard.
Thanks! GM

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie

Downy, small little beak.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Mrs_Ed! GM

Congratulations Grandmaggie!

Great photos & comments too everyone , LOL @ "BIRDus LINEus UPus" Mrs. Ed.
Congratulations GM on your wonderful Woodpecker shot!
NM Jane, Congratulations on your lifer too!!! You posted a bird in the ID thread, the Merlin, was that a lifer too?? I've never seen one. Very cool!

Here is my "Pete" the Pyrrhuloxia purloining a phruit from a cactus in my yard

Thumbnail by angele
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, nanny_56! GM

oh pooh, I posted in the wrong thread.. what a dope!!!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks angele too! GM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Questions please, are these a couple nuthatches? If they are "an Item" which is the male and which is the female please.
Thanks,
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Aw… aren't they cute. Yes, two White-breasted nuthatches. I don't know which is the female as I have trouble with that. The male's cap is black and the female's dark gray, if that helps.

Plus, the pix is a little far away.

But they sure look like love birds.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Mrs_Ed, I'll try to get a close up of them later if I can. :-)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Can someone help me I.D. this hawk? Thanks!

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

sadie_mae; beautiful bird! Nice shot!

I'll say Red-tailed Hawk, sadie mae, because of the dark patagial mark. Beautiful photo!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Lily_love. Your pair of love birds there are too cute! The only time I ever see 2 WB Nuthatches, I figure they must be males because they're always fussing with each other...then again, maybe they're an "old married couple" ;-)

Thanks angele, that's what I was thinking. I had looked in a couple of my bird books and the underside is much lighter than what they show as the underside as being for an eastern Red-tailed so I wasn't sure. The raptors seem to be the hardest for me to identify.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

sadie_mae; I'm relatively new at birding. Specialized on "back yard's birding" that is. By far, among those few that I'm learning to identify/recognize. The WB nuthatches are great socialized birds. I will see them feeding at the feeders without fighting one another off. I've noticed that the finches, however are very teritorial. So are the tiny lovely little Carolina chickadees? They usually fight off "intruders" if they were at the feeder before others' arrival. They don't seem to like sharing. :-) Oh, BTW, the titmouse, they are very fast, but those finches managed to keep them at bay while they're feeding. lol.

Sadie_Mae, nice hawk shot!! I can't get one of our Red Tail for nothing!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That is a great shot Sadie and I'm with Nanny on this...all my pics of that hawk end up looking like blurry black dots!!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Nanny & Rose :-) I don't get very many successful in flight shots, I need to start practicing cause they always look so cool!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Grackle?

Thumbnail by dellrose

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.