Looking for Iris's my grandmother had

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

It wasn't until this last year that I realized that in her notebook of flower growing info that she had written down in the very back her list of Iris' she has grown.

I know it's a long shot in finding some of them. We moved from Illinois to East Texas and now have close to 2.4 acres so I have room to make a number of flower beds and would like to re- create to the best of my memories ones close to what my grandmother had using her plant notebook.
Does anyone have any ideas of where I can look other then the sites on the Historic Iris site for the ones I have not found yet?
I would like to find as many as I can and save up to put this bed in place this fall.

the descriptions are the best I can make out her writing if it helps in the names.

Cascade Splendor - light copper & pink orange beard yellow arms
Vatician purple?- rich blue purple crisply flaring shape
Rose Top - cream with deep rose & edged rich rose
Pink Cameo - shell pink
Lockwood - bright red-brown with blue blaze falls
Frost Glint - Blue-white ruffled standard & flaring falls
Desert Song - bright creamy yellow ruffled
Red Torch - two tone gold bronze falls pure red velvet

Minnie Colquitt - ruffled whtie with wine -purple --Found this one listed at BlueBird Haven website
Rocket - deep chrome yellow falls are orange --Found this one listed at BlueBird Haven website
Grand Canyon - deep tones of plum copper & gold of falls --Found this one listed at BlueBird Haven website
Rainbow Room - Yellow & rainbow colors blue at center --Found this one listed at BlueBird Haven website

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 8:21 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Have you tried both Superstition and Winterberry?

What a wonderful project. I'm trying to recreate my beloved Aunt Helens iris garden, but I just know the approximate years she was buying iris, I truly wish I had some of the names. I'm pretty sure Superstition had Grand Canyon. Superstition is from what I hear, the most accurate on the historics.

Good luck with your project.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Phyllis, I have many iris that Mitch gave to me. They have just been planted and of course have not bloomed. You might d-mail him to see what I have. If any of these are what you need, I'll be glad to send them to you. I don't have a name for anything.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Phyllis, I have many iris that Mitch gave to me. They have just been planted and of course have not bloomed. You might d-mail him to see what I have. If any of these are what you need, I'll be glad to send them to you. I don't have a name for anything.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Christi

pollyk thanks for the places to check I've been searching the net looking for places to see what I can find.

LouC will do thanks

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Alright send a letter to Wanda Rezac, 2288 Rd 105 Sidney NE 69162 she sells a HUGE list for only two dollars each I *think* she might have most of those and is a real great person to deal with. I had a lot of those but they all got mixed up with the move...

alrighty then will have to do that when I get some stamps bought then thanks!!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I hear you - we never mail anything anymore pay most things online.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

You also might try Kelly at "Rainbow Iris Farms". He is a HIPS (Historic iris Preservation Garden" like I am & has a nice selection of historics. http://www.rainbowfarms.net/allflowers.html

The only one I grow is "Rocket" TB out of my 90 + historics. Have fun chasing them down!

thanks I will try him too then ...

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Looks like several of your Historics are shown on the Historic Iris Preservation Society site: http://www.hips-roots.com/

thanks my computer decided to go nuts on me and I lost all the emails I had from the ones I had contacted to find out if they had any of them so I am looking again to find them all LOL

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I might have the purple one that you listed. The one I have isn't a tall iris and it blooms when it wants to at any time of the year, but I do know its old, I got it from my grandmother when I got married and I've been married 29 years and she got it from her mother in law when she got married and she was married 59 years before she gave it to me. She called it priest purple though. Its a dark purple with lacy type petals and a yellowish color stymen. Let me know if you would like a start as mine has just finished flowering and I can get you some ryhzomes. My daughter has an old purple iris too. I'll see if I can get pictures down loaded of them Susan

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture of mine. Susan

Thumbnail by susan505
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Here's my daughter's iris Susan

Thumbnail by susan505

oh those are both pretty....I don't have anything to offer in return though

I need to update my list above as some that I thought I had found aren't available there now.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Thats ok I need to thin mine down some and so does my daughter I'll get some rhyzomes and send them to you if you will give me your address, If you would like some. Susan

Damil on its way...thank you!!

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

They will be on the way in the next day or two I'll post conf. # Susan

thank you thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.