Earthquake

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

There was an earthquake here just before 1am, and it was a rocker! The last time I felt one close to that was around 30 years ago.

There was a noise as if an elephant had run into the house, a big thud sound, then the floor (which is very thick concrete!) and walls (solid 9" thick brick) started to wobble. It lasted for a few seconds, the sound was like a huge thunderstorm rumbling, a bit scary really.

How was it for you in other parts of the country.

The epicentre was at Market Rasen which is 20 miles as the crow flies from where I live, it did feel close!

It measured 4.7 on the Richter scale.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhhhhhh yes it woke us right up and Market Rasen is 10 miles from us and we heard it was a 5.3.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/index.html

Loud rumbling and the brick house really shook!! Alarms going off down in the Market centre and all over town that we could hear.

No damage inside will have a look outside when it gets light.

Lauri

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Felt it up here in Newcastle too, nothing like as bad as you've had, but still obvious. First earthquake I've ever known.

Resin

PS interesting that it takes an earthquake to get this European Gardening forum moving again! ;-)

Lauri, they were saying 4.7 soon after from the US source, but then later said 5.3 from the British geological survey, now they say closer to 5.2.

The first impact was like an implosion, hitting the east side, with a slight pause then the floor was going wavy and walls wobbling. Imagine a deep concrete floor doing that! No damage to notice though, the floor is probably full of cracks underneath.

Resin, you must be very young, lol. I remember one which shook walls in the 1970's, not sure which year. There has been a couple since, one about five years ago which I didn't feel upstairs but apparently it made the settee jump downstairs. They seem to be more on this south eastern side of the country and usually out to sea.

It takes more than one thing to make the ground move, lol. The forum is up and running again? Or should I say up and rumbling!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

More that I'm too far north - the recent 'quakes listed on the BBC news page about it are all in southern England or Wales, none in the north or Scotland. Like you say, "They seem to be more on this south eastern side of the country and usually out to sea"

Resin

I have been telling every one in Caistor that NO I did not bring this from California when I moved here...............LOL we had them from 3.0 up to 7 and those were just as fun....NOT!!

No damage here that we can see, just a few pictures slightly askew but that was about it..

So we are rumbling along again....Yippee!!!!

Lauri

Aha, nod nod wink wink, now I understand...just don't bring the 7 with you! LOL!

LOL nah I sent that one back....it is with my ex now..............ROFLOL

On second thoughts......if it's good for ex's, bring it back! ROFLOL!!

LOL need a spare one?? I'll call my DS and have him get ya one...........

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

I'd been out celebrating my birthday and never heard a thing, although my son, sister-in-law and the rest of the neighbourhood said there was a roaring noise and everything shook. I did notice most of the pictures had gone wonky this morning and needed straightening up.

You missed all the excitement Pat, lol! Or was it the wine...

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Only heard about the earthquake now in England! Yes I don't always keep up with the news or TV. Actually heard it on BBC tonight.
They said that it happens naturally over there about every 30 years.
We had a light version one over here in Belgium in (I think 1992).
Nice to hear that no serious damage was done!

I like the comment of Resin:

Quoting:
PS interesting that it takes an earthquake to get this European Gardening forum moving again! ;-)
lol!

I heard on the radio news this morning that they (whoever they are) said we could have another up to magnitude 4 within the week.......not what I wanted to wake up to!!

England made the local news in California with the quake!! My folks thought ,like many people, that England never had them and were quite shocked.

Ohhhhhh too many typos need coffee....

Lauri

'They' often say there can be an aftershock, but a few days after sounds like another one. Must be some disturbance going on down there!

'They' might be these,

http://tsunami.geo.ed.ac.uk/local-bin/quakes/mapscript/home.pl

An all in one earthquake source!

I wonder if the 4 is an underestimation, this country can still rock, lol!

Ah ha so that is who *they* are.....

Once in a while in Calif. there would be a stronger quake but seldom it was usually the little aftershocks that were minute or never felt.

ROFLOL
The quake goes quiet and so does European Gardening......

Lauri

(Zone 5a)

Interesting ....... I didn't realise you had earthquakes "down" there ;-) Glad there was no damage. Pat, there was a really big earthquake here back in 2000 that apparently everyone noticed except me and DH ...... It was "the big one" that happens about every 100 years .... we were a bit bummed out that we missed it ..... lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.