What's blooming?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

We need a new blooming thread. The others were getting too long. All I took were 3 pics a few minutes ago and will add pics later. Please join in the fun of seeing blooms with us.
This is 'Remembering John' and has big blooms

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Shenendoah Shooting Star and has variegated foliage.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I got them mixed up................the second one was Shenendoah Sugar Plum and this is the variegated Shenendoah Shooting Star

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Gail, I absolutely love Sugar Plum, where did you find it? It looks like a heavy bloomer and I love the color. As always, thanks for letting us see your plants. I do have a few blooming, I'll try to take some pics tonight and post tomorrow.

Susan

South, TX

They are so pretty!

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Beautiful Gail!

Sinningia Orange Zinger is blooming for me.

Thumbnail by jannich
South, TX

That Orange Zinger is wonderful, deep colors.

Jannich Orange Zinger is quite an eyecatcher - it's almost glowing

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING LADIES!
Wow the 2 of you can certainly grow!
You're my idols :)
STUNNING!

North Augusta, ON

Can I play?

Thumbnail by threegardeners
Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

this is suncoast peppermint kathy, chimera
bonnie

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

this is sinningia sentimental journey
bonnie

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

this is sinningia heartlands dancing
bonnie

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

HOW BEAUTIFUL BONNIE!
You sure do grow beautiful sinningias :)
Thank you for sharing pictures of your babies with us, certainly brightened a cold Maine day :)

Kim

Charlotte, NC

Sinningia pusilla is blooming for me....

Thumbnail by MullettMan
Charlotte, NC

And so is...
Episcia "Teddy Bear"

Thumbnail by MullettMan
Charlotte, NC

And my Columnea Krakatau is flowering too :)

Thumbnail by MullettMan
Charlotte, NC

And I've got a few old flowers still hanging onto my Codonanthe devosiana "Paula". They were brighter a few days ago but are a little aged now and starting to drop :(

Thumbnail by MullettMan
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I haven't been on Dave's lately and wow is the word for the day!!!! Jannich, what a dream plant. And Bonnie and MullettMan, your plants look fantastic. This is just waaay too much fun seeing all these pictures. Threegardeners, thanks for jumping in with pics..........

Someone asked where I got Sugar Plum..........let me go look. I got it from Brennan's Orchids. They have the biggest and most mature plants you have ever seen for just an extra dollar or so. Many have double crowns.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Mulletman, you certainly have some beauties too!
You are a good grower :)
What beautiful pictures to wake up to and enjoy this morning, thank you for sharing.
I lost my teddy bear :( I had a little stolon which had rooted and I rotted it. Still learning and having difficulties but I'm hoping that as time passes and the weather warms that I will do better with alot of these things.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures, I really enjoyed them this morning :)

Kim

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you.I love that sinningia!

Lee Ann,thats a cool flower.What kind of plant is that?

Mrsbonnie,Beautiful just beautiful! Are chimera's harder to grow than regular AV's?

Hi there Kim,You will get there girl,just keep trying.I have a goody box planned for you when your weather gets warm!

MullettMan,great growing! I love Codonanthe devosiana "Paula". It's got such sweet flowers.

Keep the pictures coming please!

(Zone 1)

Oh, what great photo's! I love that Episcia 'Teddy Bear'! That is one on my long wish list. I plan on ordering a couple of Episcia's in the next couple of weeks and that will be one of them. I have Sinningia pusilla as well as S. Rio das pedras also and just love those teeny ones! They both seem to bloom non stop at times.

Jannich: I love those standard size Sinningia's - Orange Zinger is Awesome! I have a couple of the larger ones on my wish list for spring too!

Threegardeners: Of course you can play! Great photo of Lipstick Black Pagoda! I just had to move all of my plants inside again yesterday because it was so cold here last night. I noticed a couple of flowers on one of my Black Pagoda's too. On my plants the flowers seem to hide ... not very noticeable at all. But, I love that one because of the foliage!

Mrsbonnie: Oh, what lovely flowers you have! I had the AV Suncoast Peppermint Cathy but it was a couple of months ago I had some problem and lost almost all of my AV's and a couple of Episcia's! I must have brought a bugs or something in the house! That one is so pretty.

Gail: Aaaah ... what can I say that hasn't already been said. You my friend are a grower! That first photo of Strep 'Remembering John' has absolutely gorgeous color - really Beautiful Bloom!

I am so greatful for this "Monthly" Bloom Report Thread! These photo's really make my days! March is right around the corner ... hopefully I will have a few blooms to show too!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I know it is probably not polite to show a trade but Jannich is the best grower around and I have to show you what she sent. (hers isn't going out until Monday) and I then I have to work on my own plants for the next Mother's Day sale.

If I had time right now I would list all of these sinningias........what a packer she is............

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Check out this sinningia cardinalis ready to bloom as are the other sinningias.........

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I need to be working but I have to share some blooms as they all are in the process of debudding for the sale in May on Mother's Day.............it just kills me to take off every single bloom of every plant up until about 6 or 7 weeks before the sale.

This is 'Circus Times'
These are the only avs I bought at the sale. There was one lady who only grows vintage violets

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh no.........I have already lost the tag on this one............

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Apache Rose

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is one I had at home and forgot to take to the sale............Icy Sunset

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Newtown Deli Kat
I have never seen a Newtown av I didn't love

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This will be the third time I have grown Newtown Shared Venture for her blue blue blooms..........they may look lavender but I call them blue

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is Dark Shadow strep

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Oh my goodness, Gail ... that one called Circus Time could really make me want to get more AV's. That one is a Knockout! I love the way it grows, the leaves as well as the flowers! Beautiful!

Question: Do you ladies who grow the Sinningia's know of some that don't get real huge? I have the little micro mini's that I love and have been talking about getting a couple of the standard's but I see photo's of some that are quite large!

(Zone 1)

Oh, that AV Newtown Shared Venture is really neat ... love how those leaves are cupped like that! And, I really like the variegated foliage!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is strep 'Blue Beard'

Lin, if you go to Dave's Violets and look, you will see some larger sinnngias.........just study his site........
http://davesviolets.com/

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Thanks for that link Gail ... I've never heard of Dave's Violets! I'm heading over there right now!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a new tiny Party Girl grown by one of the members........

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is Surprise Party strep

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Strep Bristol's Rhubarb
that is all folks.......gotta go back to work..........have a great day..........

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

OMG ladies, what STUNNING pictures!
Gail, that Surprise Party is SO awesome! I have a platycodon (balloon plant) outside that has those same markings and it's my favorite! I can't wait to get seed of it to offer to everyone this fall!
Absolutely breathtaking!
I took a picture this morning of a few streps (still quite small) that are blooming for me (doing the happy dance). Hopefully either tonight or tomorrow I will be able to actually get the picture off my camera and uploaded so you can see :) I'm SO proud of them *lol* One of them is still in a 3 oz solo so it's still quite small but I just adore it.
I can't believe the wonderful growers we have here :) I'm so happy for all of you :) and of course LOVE admiring your pictures :)

I've noticed that alot of my inside plants seem to be throwing out some new growth.........I think that is a sign of spring :)........one more day of February and we will all hold hands and March into March :) WOOO HOOO

I am SO happy to be a part of this family everyone :) You have all taught me so much and I just love learning new things from you. I hope that someday I may be as good a grower :) You inspire me!

Kim

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

FINALLY.....I have a "what's blooming" picture to add :)
I am SO tickled by these babies as they have withstood many trials and tribulations and continue to be real fighters. I think I have finally found THE place that makes them happy and I'm FINALLY providing them with the correct culture.

Front bloom: First bloom on "Streaker"
Back (left to right): "NOID" from Gail who I believe originally came from Snow, "Blue Mars" (one of my favorites), and "Bristol's Tropical Twister".

You will notice that my leaves and flowers look quite small. They are. I have learned that I have been watering my plants with EXTREMELY acidic water and streps are found naturally growing on limestone. SOOOOO....now that I have discovered this, I have started boiling my plant water.....letting it sit for days and adding 1/4 teaspoon/gallon of lime (I hadn't added lime to my soil mix but if I find some this spring/summer I may incorporate it into the soil mixture. So far the changes I have made seem to be making some small noticeable changes.

Still Learning....Still in Love :)

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.