CLOSED: Insect Identification help

Hello everyone,

I found a rather large insect (one inch in length) walking across the patio in the backyard today, and I have no idea what it is. Perhaps you could help?

I regret to say that I have no picture--I have no digital camera and the thing wouldn't sit still on the scanner. :P

Here, instead is a detailed description of it.

Six rather long legs, all black, connected at the lower half of the thorax. Anntennae are short compared to even the front legs, which are the shortest of the 3 pairs. Thorax and abdomen joint is about the same diameter as the neck. Head (whats the scientific name for that?) joins to the thorax closely. Legs seem similar to those of a cricket's in that there are "barbs" coming off them all. The thorax and head both are a red color, and the abdomen is a red/black alternate stripe--it almost looks like two big red dots joined together close to the thorax, and a red stripe covering the end of the abdomen. The whole thing is covered in what appears to be fur--or hair, if you will. The body structure is similar to that of a wasp's.

Thank you, and if I can manage to get a picture of it (ie--if it will stop moving on the scanner :P ) then I will send it to you.

Shinigami Bob

To: Poppysue

Yes, the cow killer is the insect. ^__^ Thank you!

It's sitting in a jar on my shelf right now--it's cool looking. :P

Do you happen to know what I could feed it if I wanted to keep it for a pet?

Thanks again,

Shinigami Bob

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Aargh.... a pet!! The larva feed on bumble bees and the adults drink nectar. This is from my Audubon book...

"Adult cow killers can run quickly and fight ferociously. They get their name from their painful sting - so severe that many people claim it could kill a cow"

I don't think I'd want one for a pet!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I agree with Poppysue, don't think I would want it for a pet. I've heard the sting is extrememly painful.
Cala

had one of those in my greenhouse today...OMG

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

While I wouldn't keep it as a pet I would keep it under glass to look at awhile! It is pretty awesome looking!

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Isn't nature something!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.