Georgia Organics Conference

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Is anyone going to the GO conference this week?

We are. We were lucky enough to be selected as one of the participants in their mentoring program.

BB

Excellent. They mentor our church garden. I think you will find it very useful and informative.
I can't go, but wish you to have a great time!!

GGG

Thanks

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

You can be our eyes-on reporter BB, bring us back the goods here on the forum :)

10-4

The conference was excellent.

A lot of great subject matter organized along 4 tracks: Organic & Sustainable Farming, Slow Foods, Children's track and one I forgot. We primarily stayed in the Organic and slow foods tracks.

Lot of info geared to growers. We had a 3 hour class on organic farm management the opening day which was excellent. Our mentoring orientation was excellent as well. Interesting how many people are gravitating to this way of life.

The overall best lecture we attended was one on fermenting foods (Sauerkraut, brined pickles, kim chee etc). It was taught by a gentleman names Sandor Katz who was a speaker who was very captivating while at the same time dispensing a lot of knowledge.

I have tons of material so if anyone is looking for any reference material, let me know.
BB

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Is there a book or something that you can buy that sums up the conference activities, and if so, was it only geared towards this climate, or was the information general fare for anywhere (heh, I rhymed)?

I'd be interested in the fermenting foods info, for sure.

Thanks BB.

All my material is in a big pile on our dining room table. I need to go through it. I will see if there is any summary material.

A lot of the material concentrated on organic and sustainable methods which are pretty much universal although there were some breakout sessions that covered local stuff. attendees were from GA, NC and TN

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Fermenting foods, yum. I love sauerkraut and kim chee. Some years I have enough cucumbers to brine also.

I was kind of bummed because I had thought I was going to teach a class on organic weed management there this year, but it never happened...

GGG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.