brown water

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Has anyone had to battle brown water? Everything was great up till about 3 days ago and gradually my water is turning browner and browner. I've cleaned both filters (bio) and I've lost one fish :( and shed a few tears. Need to do something but haven't a clue what. Suggestions?

(Zone 8a)

Hi,

Maybe you should drain out some water and add new water...I need to drain mine because of sediment and vacuum the bottom soon...Lady at pet shop told me to do it...If your pond is small you should drain regularly and replace with fresh water to avoid fish waste...

Don't forget to add dechlornator to kill chlorine in water!

Cheers

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Sledder, Are you using Barley straw in the pond???????/
If so there is the reason for the brown water...... I use barley straw but only leave it in the water for 4 days and then pull it out for a week. The effect on algae is the same but the water doesn't turn brown.
The brown color is the straw decomposing, and it means that it is time for some new straw. it doesn't last as long as they say. I place mine under the falls so water runs through it, half exposed so the air can get to it also.
If not using straw, do the water change 1/4 a week, should help, also see if the is runoff getting into your pond.
Good luck]
Ann

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi There, I was away for the weekend. I had hoped that while I was away the water would clear . . boy I was wrong. It got even worse. Guess I better try the vacuum thing. No, I don't have any barley straw in it but I added another filter before I left and like I said,,,it's worse. We're so frustrated and at wits end. Quite frankly I don't know how the fish are surviving. I feel so cruel. :(

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

some algae is brown and not green. You might try a little barley

(Zone 8a)

Hi,

It's me again...hmmmm, I thought the water change would help...

Okay it is quiz time!

(1)Do you have a waterfall?
(2)How big is your pond?
(3)How many fish do you have in it?
(4)How much and how often do you feed fish?
(5)Is the pond under trees or in sun?
(6)Do you PH test often?

Just a few questions and answers may help!

Cheers!

Our's turned brown a week ago Sunday and we put in Acc-Clear and it was spotless the next morning. This is only the 1st time since May that we've had to use it. Prissy's questions should help you out. We have bio-filters too, we clean every other day. Our pump runs 24/7, we have a uv light, we do have a waterfall and the temps right now are so hot and as a result have a lot of evaporation so we run new (well) water into it a minimum of 90 minutes a day at 30 minute intervels. Good Luck and be sure to check your ph - vic

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Good Morning,,Okay, answer time!! :) I hope I "pass" the test. :) **giggle**

1. Yes I have a waterfall, and a fish spitter. I'm not real crazy about it but it adds noise that hubby likes.
2. Pond is a preform 230 gal. and it's level :)
3. I had 5, lost one :( 1 koi, 2 comets, 1 shubunkin
4. Generally once a day but not all the time. If the water is over 80 deg. I don't feed them no matter how much they beg. Even still I haven't been feeding them since the water turned greeny/brown. I was hoping they would help the situation but I must admit,,I fed them this am. The water was cool but worse this am than yesterday.
5. No trees. Full sun from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm.
6. I test almost every day . . doesn't appear to be off. You think that might be it? I did have that problem before.

Did I pass? I'm curious about the Acc-Clear stuff. What is it and where did you get it? Here's a question: Does anyone elses water hyathin roots come to the surface?

Oh by the way guys, I posted something on "the other forum" and I never even got a reply. That is exactly why I left and moved to DG. I absolutely love this forum. Everyone is so pleasant, helpful, and just downright nice. Thanks everyone!! :)

We get our Accu-Clear from That Pet Place. 1-888-thatpet(842-8738) They are also on the web. www.thatpetplace.com I don't where in PA you are but that is where That Pet Place is - Lancaster. We got our pumps, bio-filters, etc. from there too. You can call or email for a free catalog. The accu-clear is safe but remember that it is a chemical and can cause oxygen depletion. Just keep an eye on the fish when/if you use it. Our son-in-law is a fish expert. Has written articles, hangs out in fish forums like we do with DG :-) has about 9 active tanks, etc., and he is the one that recommended the accu-clear. Good Luck. vic

This message was edited Tuesday, Aug 28th 9:16 AM

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Vic...Thank you!

(Zone 8a)

Okay Sledder,

I am really trying to figure out your problem...hmmm,
Do you have alot of plants to block out the sun?

Do you have sediment in bottom from leaves or whatever?

Does your waterfall have algae on it or dripping into the pond ?

My water is the same as yours and I know I have sediment in bottom from leaves and such...and I put a moss on my waterfall last year for beauty and noticed this past winter alot of of algae growing form the fall and falling in the water...soo we turned off the fall to dry and removed all the algae and moss...

I hate to admit but my water has been brown/green all summer
and laziness has set in but I have to do it before winter because I have lots of leaves falling, small and large...we put nets over it but some still get thru.

I did lose a couple comets this year but I always lose a few every year...but my koi are doing great and even had babies this year!

You shouldn't be scared to feed yours with the temps high! Where are you located?

Try turning off the waterfall and cleaning it!

Hope this helps...hang in there and we'll figure it out!

Cheers,
Reb-

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Everyone. I got the Accu-Clear stuff at Pet Whse at lunchtime today. Since the pond is only about 230 gal. I only put in about 3 tsp. I did pull the hyathins and put them in a big tub w/water. I wanted to make sure the water keeps moving around for oxygen. I left in the other plants. My lilies look horrible. I did have some stringy algae on the waterfall but little bit at a time I gathered it off. I'm pretty good at keeping up with the cleaning filters and plant maintenance stuff. That's why this one has me baffled. I really appreciate the help though. I had a baby 30 gal for 3 years..it was easy to keep clean. This one is a challenge. By the way, I'm about 20 miles North of Pgh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.