beltsville potato seeds

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

a friend of mine in michigan used to grow these potatos but can't seem to find them anymore. anyone know where he can order them from. thanks

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Herbie,

Couldn't find anything specifically called "Beltsville potato".

Could this be the one? It was developed in Beltsville MD.

http://www.spudseed.com/pages/varieties/var_atlantic.html

Karen

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thank you karen. i will pass it along to my friend.

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

The above site is for "Atlantic" - although developed at Beltsville, MD, it's not the "Beltsville" potato.

I was interested because I think Beltsville was a pretty popular spud around here and now I cannot find it anywhere and I wondered what happened. I am from Maryland and was familiar with the Beltsville station.

As far as I can tell Beltsville was released as Castile in 1991 by the USDA and NY State Agriculture Experiment Station. It's a cross between Peconic and F107-30. So, I guess Beltsville is now known as Castile. I think some also call it the California Long White.

This is confusing to me, because I did think the original Beltsville potato was from the Beltsville station in Maryland.

I guess the bottom line is, look for Castile or California Long White and it will be the same potato.

It's a nice main season potato (but possibly may not last 6 or 7 months in storage making it possible to save the "seed"). Hope this helps.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2008 5:32 PM

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thank you very much. i will pass this along to my friend.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks phicks. will pass it on to him.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.