gourds

Snohomish, WA

I have started some gourds that I am going to grow on the thing pictured. I have about 20 or so started all kinds, apple, bottle neck, swan, and dipper gourds. The one I am not sure of is the bushell gourd. They get pretty big, the gourds. Amy advice on how to grow it. And if anyone has some good gourd advice I promise a gourd to!

Thumbnail by NWGordon
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

NWGordon - maybe you should post this on the Ornamental Gourds forum - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/cucu/all/.

I wouldn't recommend growing the bushell gourd in your tunnel . . . I understand the gourds can get too heavy for the vines - that's why I'm growing mine on the ground.

I would be very interested in how things go for you - I am also growing short handle dippers, swans, apples, bushels, egg, and spinner gourds. NOT all in the same spot, but in different areas of my yard. I almost got the nerve to build a tunnel out of pvc pipe . . .

This message was edited Feb 25, 2008 8:57 PM

Snohomish, WA

Thanks for the advice, and will post pics this summer of how it goes.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Is that a trampoline frame that has been turned into a gourd tunnel?? ..LOL..what are you using that the vines are growing on? wire or string that is going back and forth??..if it is string..it will not hold that gourd vines up..I am using the same idea but I have pipes running across where the joints are for extra strength to hold the tunnel together....and plus wire for the vines to grow up on and hang from..will post pics when the gourds are growing on it.. please post pics as your gourds are growing...but go to the ornamental gourd forum...to show those gourdheads as well what ya doing...lol..

Snohomish, WA

The string isn't going to work! I heard wire cuts vines from the rubbing in the breeze, but better that than the whole thing falling down.

I use welded wire so as the gourd gets bigger growing..I put a diaper on the gourd to hold it up ..mmm..so far, the wire does its job here..will post pics as I go doing this....

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Gourds in diapers...now that's a funny mental image!

Yep..holds them up well..I don't use pantyhose like some people do..I make my own here that fits the gourds as they grow BIG!...lol...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.