Before and after II

Coffs Harbour, Australia

This is a month ago, when the hibiscus was looking at its best. Then it got attacked by caterpillars as it does every year and I couldn't keep up the dipel, because of the rain.
So off with its head

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Now its gone and i have an empty ugly space. The philodendron needs cutting back to let light into the gazebo through winter.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

And here it is today, 1 day later, and I'm quite pleased with it!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Good morning Sue. It's hard to make the decision to chop out a plant, I know. It's no good trying to keep something that just causes problems, but don't you feel awful when it has to go after growing it from small ?
I have to move and change things too as the weather or too much growth etc can change things . Think of the new plants and how lovely they will be .
I do wish Hibiscus would grow well here as they are bright little fellas to have around. I do have the native purple one which flowers most of the year. Good gardening, Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Jean, you know the large philodendron was a $2 plant in a 4" pot only 4-5 years ago!
I'm still debating whether it has to go! It's such a lush thing, but requires alot of pruning, and I'm trying to cut down on high maintenance plants. If I get rid of it, I've only lost $2 after all. I could probly plant another palm or a port wine magnolia or something.
Feel free to offer opinions.
Sue

I am a lost cause in that regard I cannot bear to kill anything that I loved once so I hack and hack and hack ...thats ok except that when called away for extended periods of time my triffid darlings turn into monsters! I am not going to turf out a 10 ft camelia (or three )because it is too big for me, it has earned the right to be there and we won't talk about 8ft gardenias and such, once something is a certain size it is part of the place ...the "soft furnishings" ie hibiscus, vines and gingers etc get hacked or even sometimes moved, for the most part it's every plant for itself in my "jungle"
we don't even talk about the front yard ...it's lucky to get a bit of a trim and the lawn mowed (and some manure in Spring).
I am always putting some indoor plants outside somewhere in a shady place because I don't want them to die and let me tell you the kind of trouble that has caused ...nah you don't really want to know! ...however I was looking for something when I stumbled across one of my classic "chuck outside" plants behind one of hubbys car wrecks ...anyone know what this is? I can't remember it is quite nice as a groundcover and has conquered the kikuyu so I am now interested ...anyone know?

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I thought it might be another Plectranthus Chrissy. I have the same thing I think, but it's not taken off yet. I want it to cover the ground up the back garden.
I got stuck in again and cut back the philodendron to two trunks. The bits cut off will be planted up the back to hopefully block out a neighbour. I've taken cuttings off Philodendron xanadu the same way and they strike easily, so heres hoping. I also removed about 7 large clumps of Agapanthus that never flowered and were pale and straggly from lack of light and cut of the bug eaten and wind blown Cordyline fruiticosa leaves. While doing this I found a pineapple top I had planted a couple of years ago. It got BIG, and has a flower coming! (photo tomorrow). I also cut back the big red cannas so now theres some breathing space for all the plants and a bit of aircirculation and sunlight! I think they'll all be happier for it. I'll spread a bit of woodchip around to tidy it up, but I think it looks fantastic. I bought some of my bromeliads down from teh back to display, but I'm a bit nervous of my puppy dogs bad habits of late and hopefully it won't all end in tears!
I put these bromeliads on the tree yesterday. They cost me $9 for the 5 of them all joined together. Stoked!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that plants the bits cut off. I can cut a plant back but then I just can't bear to waste the bits. I end up with more growth than the original I cut back. We are definitely a sad lot aren't we ? I see people throwing bits out and want to grab the bits. I am going to be really good this year and throw out the winter cutbacks. Ha Ha. If you believe that you'll believe anything. My good intentions in this never eventuate.
I'm waiting for some rain so I can post an after pic of the greening of the dry
Have a great day.
Jean

My groundcover thingy isn't a plectanthrus because the stems are not square and the flowers are a hot orange colour ...oh well maybe I will post in the ID thread ...those broms look great Sue ...good buy! (hope the dogs don't touch)
Yeh right 77 ...throw away the trimmings lol!
Have a lovely day everyone ... the sun is out whoopee!
I am off to play!
chrissy

Merino, Australia

I'm off to play too. The sun is out here after morning fog. Happy day everyone , Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Well I've taken another pic of the philodendron cut back. Now you can walk passed. I also tidied up the aerial roots and since this photo I have added more mulch and pavers, making it a wide path as I know the philodendron will grow over again before I know it.
I'm really enjoying doing a cull through the garden. and realise that with such big spaces to garden in, I don't need to cram it all together, and I'm trying to cut back (excuse the pun) on the pruning . Gotto go, got held up and theres a show on tv i want to watch. Back later.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Shoalwater, WA, Australia

:O You mean people actually cut bits off their plants and THROW THEM AWAY?????

*faints dead away*

Lol! Yeh right! :)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey, I tried keeping them and propagating, but just had so much success (all my fingers and thumbs and toes are green) that i've got so many plants I don't know what to do with them. No one comes to visit anymore, because they've all got too many now thanks to me also! I actually threw potted stuff out the other day aswell, as it needed going up another size, and larger pots are expensive, not to mention the soil. The plants were hard to sell as they were big, spikey succulents, and you have to have just the right spot! I've already got two dozen or so planted about the place, so I didn't need anymore and decided the nieghbours aren't getting anything for free because they're all ungrateful. Some stuff I take to Tafe, but it gets neglected there anyway, but I also give it to fellow students, although sometimes even that doesn't work. What's wrong with people?There was never anyone giving away plants as much as I do, when I wanted plants years ago!
When i chucked the stuff to the tip, I stacked all the stuff with roots to one side, in the hope that some gardener would see their value and take them home. I was there again this morning with a load of Agapanthus and still have a long way to go.
I have found that I am much more inclined to get stuck into my own garden, now that I'm not doing so many of others gardens. Also my back is feeling much better since I haven't been on my hands and knees, pulling weeds every day! I could get used to this!
Happy gardening tomorrow, although I believe you have a spot of rain again Chrissy?
I will probly jinx myself, but we have had a whole week without it, and its been beautiful. There are still spots I can't mow, and I think we have a spring in the hillside, as it is still weeping water. I should put a pond there! LOL
This is a pic of the other side of the philodendron, where the pineapple is, and I am working on this bit tomorrow.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I sure wish I was your neighbor wee. It look like eden over there!

That's because it is :)
Hi Marieortiz ...Where are you ... in the World? we love visitors :)
how does your garden grow.

Thumbnail by

Ooops Sue I lost the post to you earlier ...I hate that!
Yes a huge downpour last night! ...back later :)
chrissy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

After
Hi Marie. I agree that I live in a little part of paradise, and every morning I thank my lucky stars to have such a nice garden to enjoy!

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 7:45 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I can't find a before photo but I just cleared the area to each side of the Pathway. It's much better I think and it willl give the garden a bit more air circulation which should help in the battle with the bugs.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

A mate in the ginger

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Love the pics. Here's my before pic of where we just cut some of the trees down. I said leave the stumps and I'll grow something over them. I have already put in a Photinea just in front of the first stump. I'm thinking maybe a couple of fruit trees . My first idea was for different colored Bougainvilleas but they won't grow tall enough to shade the cottage garden behind the fence. The previous trees were very tall and interfering with the antenna guy wires. They also had become unsafe. I need shade and fruit trees will never grow too tall. Besides they will have pretty blossom. I can fit probably another 4 trees in the space. The 2 plants hanging over the fence are a purple Bougainvillea that has been there for over 12 years and only just flowered this year when it saw a bit of sun and a white Plumbago. There is a Jasmine in there somewhere but it doesn't grow much. As you see, plants down here are not junglified as their northern cousins in a warmer ( AND WETTER) climate.
Any suggestions for other shade trees that won't grow too tall ?
I love your little mate ww. I have little brown ones in the shade houses but my green ones are all ornamental. I keep lots of froggies in the fernery (all fake but they look nice )
Have a great day all, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

What position/aspect is this picture Jean?
I too have fake frogs. They live on the TV, but the little real green ones have gone crazy this year, and everytime Iook at a plant, theres one in it!

Merino, Australia

Hello Sue . The pic was taken looking south. The fence runs nearly straight North/ South. The outside you can see faces west and over the fence in the cottage garden faces east. It is very windy with the wind coming around there no matter which direction it blows. The mess along the front is what is left of a few succulents that will grow again after men feet squashed a few.
I need the shade for the cottage garden as they are used to a bit of shade from the afternoon sun. We had a very hot day when the trees came down and some plants got a few frizzled leaves. I have 2 pink mop top hydrangeas there that are only small as yet so I have a bit of shade cloth around them. There is a Cotinus just over the fence but it is a slow grower. There are asstd. Abutilons too but they are not meant to be shade trees. Luckily just about all of my plants are used to the weather and are great survivors.
I have around 25 froggies in the fern house. Besides the few real ones.
I have tortoises and fairies in the zygo house. Could be a real fairy in there for all I know.
I haven't yet put anything in the epi house but I will. Am going to have a cuppa now and do a crossword or two. Happy gardening , Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Ok, so it cops the afternoon sun. Mmmmmm, were you thinking of evergreens or do you want more sun in winter? Small tree? I'll have a look in my tree book!

Merino, Australia

Good morning Sue. Just took a photo of the large antenna (85') at the end of this area. You can see all the guy wires and this is why the new trees must be smaller growers. Yes, the area gets all the hot sun. I want something that will grow reasonably quickly , that's why I thought a couple of fruit trees , as they are usually around 6' tall when you buy them.
I may just put 1 apricot and look for a couple of smaller evergreens. Any suggestions from you are welcome. The trees we had removed were as tall as the tower and as our area is very windy the branches would play havoc with the wires. If the wrong wires break, the tower will fall. Not a nice thought. There is a second antenna in the front paddock but I'm banned from planting out there. Sob, sob.
I was thinking natives at first but they are really slow to take off. I love oleanders but they don't do well here either. I have 3 that are still only 3'-4' after 7 years. Our soil is a heavy clay but along this fence there has been, at one time , a load of gravel which has left some residue.
The wind has come up again today making it cooler than it would be. I will get a bit more trimming done. There are just the Buddleas to be done. Happy gardening, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Maybe She Oaks ...they break the wind very well and grow fairly rapidly ...I love mine ...they bring the parrots (black mostly) and best of all they scream their heads off when the wind blows ...sounds just like the best horror movie special effects.
The quickest fruit trees are peach and some plums.
The She oaks love the clay.
For quick cover you can throw up some lattice and grow some beaut vines of choice ...there are some that drop their leaves in Winter ...kiwi fruit romps away very quickly ...you need boy and girls though for fruit.Grapes too would be good ...you could be growing them while any trees are coming along.
chrissy

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Thanks chrissy. Talking of climbers that grow quickly. When I married hubby and moved here, the darling had planted 2 ornamental grape vine and said he loved the red leaves in Autumn. when I arrived, they were about 10 years old and never been cut back. Can you imagine , they covered everything in reach.
Against his strong protests I said they had to go. I did keep one that I tamed out on a wattle away from other plants. They did look nice but the rest of the time they were just a nuisance. I pulled them out by the mile.
I had the same problem with the potato vine. It seems some things like it really well here. I have some passionfruit seeds that I hope will take the hint and do as well.
I just love Bougainvillea and yours looks great. I may sneak another one in somewhere out of the way.
We have some plums and a peach and hubby wants an apricot.
Weather is getting warm so I should go out and do a bit more. Have a great day, Jean.

Gee77 I love my blue/purple potato vine it is in flower 10 months of the year you don't mean that one do you ...I agree the white is a bit of a weed but this one is lovely

Thumbnail by

Boges are wonderful

Thumbnail by

I love mine

Thumbnail by

Happy gardening

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

hello chrissy. You have beautiful pics, I may move into your backyard.
I have only ever had the white potato vine and it can run amok. The one I pulled out here went mad and covered a fence in months, then started sending up suckers all over the rest of the garden. I was still finding suckers sneaking up from a bit of forgotten root for ages . Haven't seen one for a while so hopefully it's all gone.
I have never seen your gorgeous blue/purple one. Does it grow only in the warmer climes and does it grow from cuttings, hint hint. Naughty aren't I but when it comes to wanting a plant I have no pride and just beg.
I keep going out to look at all the little things from you and other DG friends. Hubby says I'm mad, they won't grow if I keep looking at them. What does he know ? They like to see me keeping an eye on them I'm sure. Must go as someone is knocking at the door. happy gardening , Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Vege garden before.
Over run with weeds, and dead vege stalks everywhere.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Saturday saw me put it right, with a weed, a feed of manure pellets and a thick mulch of sugar cane. Its got Bananas, chives, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, beans, a pineapple, strawberries and shallots in it.
You're all going yeah right, where? The strawberries are everywhere, and I mulched lightly around them. The sweetpotatoes I mulched right over and also the pumpkin stems. the beans are on a pole by the wooden compost bin, and I am growing them for seed, because they are an old organic type, and the pineapple is between the bananas, so there!

This message was edited Mar 31, 2008 7:12 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

People who live where bananas feel at home are mean to post lovely pics. I'm moving in Sue. I'm sure I could add to the compost bin and make it livable. Haha.

Never mind we all are lucky in different ways ...and we all want what we can't have ...the way the weather is going ...everyone will be growing everything soon
chrissy

Merino, Australia

Yes chrissy. I can see the plants looking fresher with even our tiny bit of rain. We all want what we can't have and there are lots of advantages in living down here too. I think we all like to wish for something different when our own weather annoys us. Where would we be if the weather was always the same everywhere ? Be a very boring world wouldn't it ?
We would all have the same plants. That doesn't bear even thinking about. Must go and do that washing. Have a great day, Jean

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Oh yeah, I get bored with the weather! LOL
I have a couple of spare rooms Epilady! If you can cook and don't mind doing a bit of house cleaning, the doors open! That goes for anyone out there! Then I'd have more time in the garden!
I'll be happy when I get fruit on the Bananas. These are the first I've grown.

Look the other way Jean ...I had a huge hand of sugar bananas a few months ago ...the taste was sensational ...never ever had anything as good from the shops. Sue they love all that good stuff you have fed them ...good luck ...mine of course are Triffids lol ...remember to keep a shoot coming up to take over from the mother because the mother will die after fruiting just like your broms ...but limit the shoots to one or two for good fruit.Good luck!

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Hello you two meanies. I love bananas. If it was not so windy here, I'd plant one just to see if it grew. A neighbour of my aunt in Melbourne had them growing in the back yard for as long as I can remember. The tree was on my aunts side so we could watch the bananas ripen. They were large trees with the lovely banana flowers. The fruit was a smaller one than usually found in the shops.
I think they would require too much water for me to try them.
Sorry Brom Lady. I can cook very well but don't take to house work. I love a clean house so I have to do it but I want a slave here too. I love cooking and am always trying new things. Hubby has stopped asking what's for dinner as it may change as I go along.
Happy day you banana people, Jean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.