Basic Tomato preference please.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4579437

Please see the link. I typed on wrong thread.

thanks,
chris

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris:

I have had success with just about any tomato I have grown here. Like TripleG, I grow mostly heirlooms. . I grow all of mine from seed and rarely buy anything anymore.

If you want a reliable tomato that you can purchase att HD or Lowes, there would be 2 that I recommend

Rutgers is a heirloom that produces very good yields of medium sized red fruit.

Juliet is a hybrid grape tomato that will give you an outstanding crop if fruit throughout the season

Both of these are customer favorites at market and I have seen them at many stores and garden centers in the area.

BB

BB, I have to go back and read my post. I am going to grow from seed, I will buy them at either pikes or walmart, wherever I can buy seed. Do you know of a seed name that I should pick. I will probably buy and plant in the next couple days. Thanks

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris, heirlooms are really the best tomatoes to grow. Don't know if you can get see for them from pikes, walmart or not. I have some extra seed for some of the heirlooms I am growing if you want some. Also, if you post a request on the tomato forum, you'll get lots of replies. Carolyn Male, author of "100 Heirloom tomatoes for the American Garden" is a regular on that forum. She keeps us all straight on growing from seed. There is a sticky on that forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/579234/ with lots of tomato growing info. And Carolyn's seed starting tips. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/490323/. Don't be scared by the heirloom designation. It just means they are open pollinated varieties and not hybridized. Nothing special needed to grow them. Dmail me if you want some seeds. Becky

Sorry Chris:

I misread your post.

Here is a link to what I'm growing this year. They are all heirlooms except for one. And they all did well here is GA

http://www.phoenixgardens.net/WhatsAvailableNow/2008Tomatoes/tabid/72/Default.aspx

BB

Thanks BB, Becky is sending me some seeds of Heirloom. I cant wait for spring! After these grow this year and I do some more research, I should be able to join in the conversations a bit more. Let us all know which ones you liked the best. That white tomasol is interesting. Never saw a white tomato.

chris

The color was more of a very light cream than white. It was very productive. Flavor came nowhere near the colored ones though. Old Ivory Egg had a much more satisfying taste for me for a white tomato

Let me know if you need anything

BB

Thanks, happy growing.

chris

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Bronx, where did you get your seeds for Juliet? Is it as good as Matt's Wild Cherry? I'm going to try that one this year from a trade with fellow at SeedSavers.

The white one looked very cool. I've never seen a white one in the listings I've looked at before. I'll make a note on that Old Ivory Egg to add to my 'one day' tomato exploration list. And nice lemongrass!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

BB - that's a great website you've got there. Very well done and easy to navigate. Becky

Hineni:

I got mine from Totally Tomatoes. Only place I could find them. I've never tasted Matt's Wild Cherry. Juliet is not as sweet as some cherry tomatoes. They have more a a regular tomato taste, if that makes any sense. I liked the Old Ivory Egg better than the White Tomesol which I found to have a mild, almost bland flavor. But both of them were highly productive. Let me know if you want some seed.

Thanks Becky:

My wife was fussing at me because I work in IT and it took me forever to work on our site. LOL

BB

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

What, a tomato site that I missed...say it ain't so! I never liked tomatoes much growing up, now I love them. This will be my first year trying Matt's Wild Cherry, but I've heard a lot of good about it. I grew some Santa Sweets two years ago and really liked them - last year due to the drought and neglect, I only got some yellow pear and one Juane Flamme from my plants. The rest died or just grew leaves with no fruit. Gardening last year was just awful for me. Potatoes and lettuce, small onions and a few tomatoes was all that I was able to produce :/ This year I'm saving water and hand watering if it kills me darn it!

Do you mulch your plants Hineni?

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

I didn't last year, just bought hay to use for mulch this year. Two years ago, I was doing in ground plantings, now I am in raised beds and I think that makes a difference. I'm still pretty new to gardening, and gardening in Georgia is a little harder than it was in Florida - there you just threw a seed out...lol. I still consider myself a novice novice (yes, I meant to duplicate the word!)

Mulch your plants as deeply as you can. It does make a difference when it comes to retaining water.

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.