Best time to buy and plant a hydrangea?

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

I just spent all day working up a landscaping plan for my small yard, and I'm happy to say it includes a fabulous spot for a hydrangea! It's probably going to take me all summer to complete my plan, but I'm wondering where in the timeline I should plan to purchase and plant my new hydrangea? I need to know so I can either start there and get it in the ground and THEN work on the rest, or wait until later in the plan. I plan to invest in as large of a plant as I can find so it should be established.

Any advice? Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Fall or spring would both work fine for you--down here where we don't get any summer rain, fall beats spring in terms of being the best planting time, but since you get more rain spring and fall are probably about equal, so I'd go with whichever one is more convenient for you. I wouldn't plant it in summer, even though your summers are cooler than most people's, that's still the most stressful time of year to plant things.

Also, regardless of the size of the plant, it will still need to establish in your garden, and smaller plants can sometimes adapt more quickly and suffer less transplant shock than larger plants. The advantage of larger plants of course is that your landscape looks filled in more quickly, but in terms of how well it'll get established a larger size isn't necessarily helpful.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If the cultivar you want is scarce it may be beneficial to buy in spring before it's sold out.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The only scenario when buying time would be somewhat important is if you are planning to purchase a Hydrangea Arborescens cultivar like Annabelle. These cultivars are very much alike and Annabelles are mislabeled more than other varieties. By purchasing Annabelles when they are in bloom, you make sure that you got what you paid for. For more info, click here: http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/annabelle.html

San Antonio, TX

I was wondering if it was a good idea to plant two diff Hydrangea together; I have some (unk nm) that had 2 w/pinkish/purplish blooms and now I have 2 that are variegated. I was wanting to plant them relatively close in the same area but wondered if it would be a good idea. Do they require some type of soil preparation when I plant them? I understand the color of the bloom changes if I use something. Im counting on someone's help w/this. Thanks in advance.

That's more of a personal choice than anything. They can grow to 5 x 5 so you don't want them squeezed in, which would make it difficult when you remove the old (non-flower producing) stems. Are they mopheads or lace caps?

One cup of lime around the outside perimeter (once a year) for pink blooms.
A half cup of amonium sulfate " " " " for blue blooms.

They'd love dappled shade in Texas, I'm sure, and they'd also love a lot of compost in the planting hole and a top dressing of even more compost or mulch to preserve all the moisture. Water them very well when you plant them and the next day again, then resume normal watering.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They would like the same conditions so definitely planting in the same area would be fine. Like pirl said though make sure you leave enough room between them. I don't have very many part shade areas in my yard, so my hydrangeas all tend to wind up near each other because that's the only place they'll be happy!

San Antonio, TX

Thanks guys for the advice.............

I did plant three of them too close (much too close) and have lived to regret it though they do look lovely when they're in bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.