giant carrots

Pueblo West, CO(Zone 5b)

I was at a food pantry today and they had carrots the size of large cucumbers. Nobody working there knew where they had come from. I'd never seen anything like it before and was wondering if anyone else has seen or grown this type of carrot.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No experience with them, but ther are several vendors who specialize in giant vegetables. This is one of them. http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/vegetables2.html

Another http://www.seedman.com/giant.htm. This one touts a special strain of Flakkee

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

RoseyQ,

Do you plan on growing some?

Pueblo West, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the website. I found what seems to be the carrot. It is named the South American Flakkee Carrot - "as big as an ear of sweet corn" is how it is described and that's exactly how they looked to me.

One of the ladies working at the pantry said they were good in soups so if I can get the seeds, I'll give it a try and grow some.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Well this one was pretty big but I don't think it was a giant breed or anything.

BB

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

That thing is scary, BB.

I was just reading about carrot varieties that have been used for feed in Europe. They can get quite big and supposedly make good soup. I decided to try one this year--Jaune du Doubs. It's yellow and is supposed to be good eating if you harvest them before they get too big. What is too big is the question.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Bigger than a breadbox? :)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Famerdill,
I sent you a d-mail...

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

The attack of the carrotts. - - - -Here bunnie here bunnieLOL

I have no idea what this one is

BB

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

A GMO elephant?

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

It's the spaceship from War of the Worlds! Or maybe it was The Thing From Another World. Remember when they compared James Arness, the monster, to a giant carrot?

Whatever it looked like, it tasted good! :-)

BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Have you been transplanting carrots BB, you get shapes like this when the taproot is broken early.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

That's the famous stool-footed elephant carrot.

No Farmerdill:

But I don't think I thinned properly.

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.