How long for bales to cool?

Tonto Basin, AZ

Now 6 days after last application of nitrogen and the bale temp 4" down is still nearly 140. Way too hot to plant, but the seedlings are at least a week from big enough. How long does it usually take to cool to below 100?

Frank

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

If you are on day 6, you must be about done putting fertilizer on right? (I didn't look at the chart). Once you are at that point I would think they would start cooling in a day or 2. You are watering them every day aren't you? I would think that if your plants will be ready in a week or so that they both should be ready about the same time.

What all plants are you going to put in? I'm very envious.

Jeanette

Tonto Basin, AZ

It's six days after adding the last fertilizer.

Broccoli, cauliflower, and tomato seedlings will be ready to go in before long, to be followed with beans, okra, and squash when the soil is warm.

Frank

Wake Forest, NC

Frank: you're in good shape. They'll "cool" back down.

I love to hear about bales cooking up nicely. Don't drown the bales. Just add enough water to keep them good and moist.

Are you keeping a diary at DG? It comes in handy.

Photos, photos, photos!

Kent

Tonto Basin, AZ

I keep a diary, but it's not on DG. I'll look into it.

The bales decompose so well this method that I'm using it on a compost pile of loose hay. I am concerned that the compost (and the straw bales, for that matter) will be so nitrogen rich that tomatoes will be over fertilized and produce beautiful plants but little fruit. TIme will tell.

I'll post a photo soon.

Frank

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What was the nitrogen you used on the bales and the compost pile Frank? Kent was right that they will start cooling down nice. If they didn't heat up good they wouldn't decompose.

Sounds like you have a nice garden ready to plant. Did you start all of those things from seed?

BTW, don't worry about the nitrogen making your plants be all leaves. Once you start using your regular fertilizer it will level out. Besides that will give you nice strong plants to hold all those vegetables.

Jeanette

Tonto Basin, AZ

jnette, I used a 28-3-3 mix. We started the little plants from seed. No seedlings are available yet in stores down here.

Frank

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That sounds like the same as I use Frank.

In AZ? You can't get your plants yet? Gosh, I would think it would be about time to plant them out there. Guess my perception of other parts of the country and their weather is not good.

Wake Forest, NC

Frank: you shouldn't have any problems with not having any fruit. I'm loaded each year. If anything, bale gardeners use too LITTLE nitrogen over the growing season, especially early on.

Kent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.