Looking Small Greenhouse cover material

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or in seed germination, but here I am. I have a 4 tier shelf unit with fluorescent lights for seed starting. I want to put it in my basement where the temps can be cool so I want to cover the shelving unit with plastic to help keep the heat in. Juliana Greenhouses makes something similar to what I want but I need it to be bigger-my unit is 48" wide x 18" deep and 74" tall. Has anyone seen such a cover or know where I can find sheet plastic and zippers that I could use to make one? I'm not sure about making seams in plastic, but there must be a way . . .any suggestions?
Thanks-
Deb

Eastlake, OH(Zone 5a)

Checkout Gowers Supply at: http://www.growerssupply.com

I have gotten replacement covers and plastic from them.

"Stay Happy and Keep Gardening!"

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Deb, if you are just wanting to wrap your shelving with plastic it wouldn't matter what kind you get. I'd save a few bucks and just go to your local Lowe's/Home Depot and buy regular plastic for your purpose. ( I use it to wrap my "heat cabinets" with, and it sounds like that is what you'll be using it for.) You can buy it in rolls as wide as 4-12 ft wide and cut it to fit your shelves. Staple or tape it to your shelves, leave the front flap open so you can either pull it to one side or roll it up for easy access to your shelves.

As for putting your shelving in your basement because it is cooler, I wonder why...most seeds require warmth to germinate more than they need coolness. What kind of seeds are you wishing to start?

Shoe

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Unfortunately, the basement is where I have room for the shelf unit. I have a little storage room that I use for plant starting. Last year I used heat mats on open shelving and it wasn't quite warm enough. This year I am planning on using a small electric heater inside the enclosed "tent".

I start all kinds of stuff-tomatoes, hostas, canna tubers and so on. What I really need is a greenhouse but the cost of heating one through a Minnesota winter is scary (though I'm not sure how it compares to running lights and electric heaters inside . . .). I also have a very shady yard-though I do have a spot picked out in case I ever win the lottery! Maybe I should spend more time on this forum for inspiration!

Thanks for the ideas-
Deb

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hey Deb,
I had a little greenhouse in Montana and my neighbor was going to throw away a bunch of bubble wrap so I took it home and used it to line the greenhouse. It was a great insulator and still let light through. I didn't have any tropicals but I grew spinach and lettuce through the winter with a small light bulb and some christmas lights on the coldest nights.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

This link will give you almost exactly what you are looking for. The company is great and I've used them for years.

http://indoorgardensupplies.com/clear-vinyl-tent-floracarts-wonder-carts-p-570.html

Doug

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Yep, that is exactly what I'm looking for!
Thanks!
Deb

Johns Island, SC

First thing you should do, Deb, is buy a min/max thermometer so you can establish some baselines on heat/cold temps in the area you're going to be growing in. Keep a log of daily measures for a week; average the "Mins" and average the "Max's" for 7 days, and you'll have a baseline to indicate whether you need more heat, or more cool. From that, you can see whether you need more or less heat/insulation. But I think establishing your baselines is the key starting point.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Deb
I'm with horseshoe; just wrap it in a plastic drop cloth. I have the same set up you have. My entire house is cool and the basement is worse. I attached the plastic to the ceiling beams with staples and close it with pinch-type clothes pins. The temp is up to 78 when the house is set to 60! I've been doing it this way for years and it has served me well - it also keeps my cats out! Helen

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Helen, I don't have cats anymore, but I used to-and that was their absolute favorite place to be-on top of my tomato babies under the lights! We finally built a cat wall around my starting area to keep them out.
Thanks for your input!
Deb

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Deb
as big as our cats are they can squeeze through and around anything! I just came up from checking my seedling and all is well. I am shopping for a greenhouse this year and hubby said to make sure it's a big one. Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.