Hanging brackets on tree

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd like to hang a decorative birdhouse from the tree in my backyard. The tree is huge with no low branches. Has anyone ever fastened a hanging bracket into a tree trunk, or is that a terrible thing to do to the tree? If you've done it, what's the best way?

We purchased several different styles of nesting boxes for cavity nesters. One even has a video cam in it that connects to our tv. I don't think there was anything special that we did other than to simply follow the installation directions. We attached most of the nesting boxes up high straight to the trunks of mature hickories but a few were attached to mature oaks. I doubt if I've got any damage to my trees but then we did select mature trees.

If you are concerned about your trees, there are other styles of bird houses. I've got several gourd houses that hung from a branches. They hang from a long metal S hook. You loop the top over the branch and hang the gourd from the lower end of the S. I know I had some sort of a wren use that birdhouse. I don't know that any of the more common cavity nesters would use it because it swayed in the breeze but you might get somebody interested in taking up residency.

Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.