Entering Orchid Hybrids in the Plant Files

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Hello fellow orchid enthusiasts,

Just a heads-up. Myself and JoanJ (one of the admin) are trying to fix up all the orchid entries (2300 of them!). Straight species are no problems but the hybrid entries are a mess. Dave's want us to start using the grex field specially set up for hybrids and a clonal field will be added eventually. The main problem is within the Cattleya alliance which has been turned on its head with all the taxonomic changes. DG wants the hybrid names to coincide with what RHS states. Here is a link to their site http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/registerpages/orchidsearch.asp As an example, Potinara no longer exists! Most are now Rhynchosophrocattleya, but some are Thwaitesara (what a bizarre name). I expect at least 70% of cattleya alliance hybrids now have a name change. Also, we are no longer accepting crosses like A X B. They must be an orchid with at least a registered grex. Current entries that are placed as A X B which do not appeared to be registered with RHS will be deleted. No offense to any of you who will loose entries as a result, but we want the entries to be consistent.

So for the time being, please do not enter any new hybrids. Orchid species are OK. I'll do an update and a DG Gardening Article on how to properly enter hybrid names once Dave gets the clonal field added (this may be a few weeks as Dave is very busy these days).

Thank-you for your patience and understanding. We want DG to be a #1 site for finding info on plants (in my opinion we are already #1 so we have high standards!)

Todd

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Didn't want you to not feel the love and even though I'm new........okay...sounds great. Really, I so appreciate the way this forum is run and want to let you know. Thank you.

Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.