can all Amaranth leaves be eaten

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I see different ornamental varieties, and wondered if all are edible. Seems like they should be.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Edible as in they will not kill you, but as with all things some are more palatable then others. I would suggest that you stick with cultivars developed for palatable leaves.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=Amaranth%2C+Edible&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Thanks, Farmerdill. That does make sense.
(these plantfiles links are taking forever for me)
Part two- the taste and appearance cooked? I like lamb's quarter, but when cooked it turns dark olive green, not a pretty color to eat.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I've eaten the green ones before. They tasted great.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

How about the flower heads as grains? I've seen where you can use some of them in breads, but I'm not sure which is amaranth and which is amaranthus. I grow alot of them and would love to add thecolored grains to my breads, but I'd prefer not to kill off my friends.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Grain amaranth is a different species bred for seedheads. Some cultivars are http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=grain+amaranth&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search. Since these were not developed with tasty vegetation in mind, they probably will not be as tasty as greens.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you SO much. I posted last year and got no hits. And I've googled and read books and... Nowhere could I get a definitive answer.

As always, you're the best F'd!!!

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

To answer all the above, the colored amaranths have different colored seed heads ranging from green to orange to pink to purple, but the seeds themselves, after the chaff is removed, range from white or tan to black. Amaranth is the more common name, derived from Amaranthus, the botanical name for the genus... they're one and the same, though there are differences within the species, with some being selected for greens and others for grain, just like Farmerdill said. All are edible either way, but best as selected for their purpose.

You can use any amaranth (Amaranthus) as grain, even the weed species, and they'll all be nutritious, but the grain types make lots of nice, tan to white, milder tasting (less bitter) seeds that won't make your breads look like you got dirt in them. Here's a site that promotes the grain types and gives recipes as well. http://www.nuworldfoods.com/

I'm not sure that the greens types keep their colors when cooked, but they are becoming popular in baby greens mixes for salads.

thanks Farmerdill and Agrinerd

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

nerd - great link! Thanks! I bookmarked it for future reference.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

They're helpful folks. I've emailed them a couple of times and they were always glad to answer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.