PNW Flower and Garden Show Pictures

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Katie59, I used to live in Ballard also. In 1955 for about a year. Just north of town on 67th. My DH worked at Sandpoint before we moved here in 87. I decided not to mail the plant for a couple of weeks or so. Just so it can grow a little more. Do you want one or two?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow. It must have been a lot different in 1955. I lived just north of 80th.

I'll just take one - don't want to be a hog. :-) Your bulbs are (dug) up - I just need to get a box for them and get them to the post office. I'll let you know when I've done that (this weekend, I hope!!).

Thanks, WW.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Back at ya! With all this good weather thing are spurting. Lovely.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Almost neighbors and didn't know it. I lived on the NE corner of 3rd NW and Holman Rd. till '53 and 2629 W 88th before that. Snoose Junction was home.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Good grief. I lived in Ballard from 1945 until about 1986!!! I grew up on 28th NW and NW 64th and raised my children on 3rd NW and NW 78th (there were a few years on Queen Anne in the mid 60's). After my first dh and I divorced, I lived on Capital Hill for a couple years, then Magnolia, then West Seattle, before moving to Whidbey Island 5 1/2 years ago.

Some of us truly were neighbors - what a hoot! I went to Ballard First Lutheran Church which was VERY Norwegian. I was Irish/English and literally felt out of place - lol!! Did any of you ever get to go to the wonderful old Carnegie Library on Market Street? I spent many an hour there and used to carry home stacks of books so heavy I would have to stop and rest - then my arms would be shaking! I believe it is an "antique" store now, sadly.

Kingston, WA

Hi Melissa yes that is the begonia . It was in fancy fronds both last year. I think it's latin name is luxuriens. I spelled it wrong. There is a nursery in Oregon that had some but didn't sell them. I found one at logees that they are going to send me. I like this one. Nice to know that someone local has it. Hope you made it home ok. Thanks for the fish. after you left Jessie clued in that there were moving things in there. I had to put them up in the greenhouse.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Crazy Ballard history here. You guys were all neighbors. What is it about Ballard that makes a gardener? :-)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey Katie, must have found your cable, your back, miss ya.,

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Mary.

Found a new power supply tonight at Radio Shack (to the tune of $75). We'll see if this lasts longer than the others. Now my e-mail is stuck andd not downloading. Too much.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Ouch, that even hurt my pocket book. Took my sticks out too, The way I look at it,m they were free, it they live then OK , if not I didnt lose any money.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm with you on that one. Although I can't resist letting Arbor Day know that I didn't get what they thought they sent. :-)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Ballard and gardening? Well, in my case, my maternal grandma lived with us and she was quite the gardener. Her father was a gardener in Ireland (for a private estate) so it was just plain in my blood! I have a Hosta I dug up from my folks' house (that my grandma planted, probably in 1969 or 1970) - I have divided it into a ton of plants, many of which I gave to other family members who garden as well! I got an id from the Hosta forum that it is Undulata (I think one of the first ones to become popular).

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

What a story about your grandfather. I'm looking forward to meeting in person to hear more about that. How absolutely romantic.

No trees at the little house I lived in. But my tomatoes ripened early - they had as much sun as the summer of 2003 could offer.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Mummer, I also lived in West Seattle. Graduated '58 from there. Lived on the back side of Alki- Beach Drive and up on 33rd and Holdren I think it was. Long time ago.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I grew up in Magnolia, my mom still lives there. I've lived all over N. Seattle. My first apartment was an illegal garage conversion near NSCC, I've lived in Lake Forest Park, Bellevue, Lake City, Laurelhurst, and Lynnwood.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Sounds like Ballard/Fremont is the place to have been - looks very enticing, I can smell the cinnamon rolls from here!

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 8:55 PM

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Poulsbo has the best bakery in the world. My best friend's mother used to work there in the 50's. I stayed over a lot!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

'Sluys' In old town Poulsbo

Kingston, WA

Cisco is also coming to valley nursery here in Poulsbo on March 15th. If it it more convenient. I think he is all over. His group contacted me about coming to my place and doing a show . I don't think I'm there yet but appreciated them asking.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Now thats sad, I'm just down the road and will not be able to go, Oh well I have Heidi.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

All over? You mean he digresses when he talks? Fancy that. LOL

He might just fit in with some of us!!!

Heidi - just got your plant shopping list and printed it out. Good luck on the opening on Friday. I'm trying to figure out how I can get out there in March . . .

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I would never like to be in the same room as Cisco. He moves around too much for me. I know his issues but he is to kenitic for me.

Snohomish, WA

I watched him for awhile at the Show doing his radio show, so granted he was sitting down! But his enthusiasim and knowladge just suck you in, and lets face it , it's fun being around naturaly happy people, and he truely is!

My name is Gordon, and I am a Ciscoeholic!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wait?!?@#? Too kinetic for you, Steve? I didn't think that was possible. LOL

Welcome, Gordon!

Snohomish, WA

Thanks, and anyone who knows me, I have one speed GO! So Ciscoe is a natural for me. His stories are a hoot! And he is a hands on gardener, I like that. He isn't fake, so much tv is! I hardly watch the boobtube anymore!

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Gordon, I think Heidi might be related to Cisco. her enthusiasm is contageous also. I can wait to get up to Dragon Fly Farms for the opening, Jim

Snohomish, WA

Hey, when is that?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

This Friday.

Snohomish, WA

Figures! I got to do some plant potage duties and that work thing! Plus get ready for the plant swap Sat! Ooh, la,la!! So much to do!

I think I need a dose of Cisco. I've never actually seen him and only heard him a couple of times. But he seems like the Steve Irwin of gardening, and I loved Steve Irwin for his enthusiasm, even if he made me cringe sometimes. I cried when he was killed. So maybe I would cry if
Cisco was killed, too.
Okay, now I am really maudelin. I have to got to bed. Also got to get all the things ready for the swap on Saturday so I hope there is a thread already set up. I have lots of Heidi plants that need homes.

Snohomish, WA

Just checked my email, firts one was from Dragonfly Nursery! Spooky!

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm planning to go to Dragon Fly open on Friday. maybe I'll see someone from DG there. Jim

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I would LOVE to go, but have to work. Enjoy the Dragonfly OH for me . . .

Work is not a good thing. People should be able to live without working. I don't like it one bit. Dragonfly openhouse would be way more fun.

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

Like, tomorrow Friday?

Work definitely interferes with life!

Yep. It does. and yep, tomorrow Friday.

Wringing hands...oh, man. Can't go there tomorrow. = (

:( Me either.

Kingston, WA

That's OK everyone. I seem to always have an open house. I have 3 landscaping jobs going on at the same time a patio finishing. Drainage in big valley by Tilly's and a raised vegetable garden on Bainbridge plus 2 meetings in poulsbo 3 truck deliveries and I was trying to mow the lawn today and people kept coming in to shop. I always want things to be perfect but reality set in last week that, it is what it is. I can't believe that tomorrow is opening. Whenever DG is here it is always fun even if we all trickle in a couple at a time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.