Chipper/shredder Advice

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

I am looking for a chipper/shredder that will shred live oak leaves wet or dry. We have three mature life oak trees that furnishes us with lots and lots of leaves at least two time a year. Any suggestions?

txflowerlady

I use an old second hand lawn mower we picked up at a garage sale. Pile the leaves and run over them a few times. We have about twenty 80' oaks in our yard, it takes up to a week to get them all gathered and just minutes to shred them into nearly nothing. I don't think I would attempt it on wet leaves, but oak leaves dry quickly in our climate. I looked on line for a long time researching lawn vacuums, chippers, shredders. I just couldn't justify the expense. My little dinged up mowers works great. I don't use it for anything other than leaves so I don't worry about dulling the blades or running over small twigs and such. I don't think if if someone gave me a free shredder now that I would use it.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

txflowerlady,

You might try Craig's list. I too use a lawn mower w/ leaves. I also have a shredder, but it's out of commission right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.