Has any one heard of Coffe ground feeding Microorganisms?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Has any one heard of Coffe ground feeding Microorganisms? I had a friend ask and are looking for proof with literature.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

No, not that I'm aware of. Just worms...LOL

Sorry, about the mispelling. I meant that they feed the microrganisms.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

hmm, one O or two? still not sure...
Define 'feeding microorganisms' I think anything moist, organic and relatively neutral pH supports some little life forms. Is the question 'should I use them in garden/compost?" yes, as you know.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Any organic material feeds soil life. Microorganisms need food and energy and water to live because all living things need these things for survival. The organic material disappears over time because the organisms consume it.

http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/concepts/soil_biology/soil_food_web.html

Karen

And worm slime is covered with microorganisms

hey doccat, you're just fueling the 'icky slimy worms' people!

To further define my question I stated Coffee Grounds were great for microrganisms. She said, ..."it would be great if I had any literature to support it."

Here is a couple of links I used as literature...

http://www.viewnews.com/2006/VIEW-Jun-06-Tue-2006/SEast/7713902.html
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/article/0,20633,1208232,00.html

Worms are great too. I love earth worm castings. I've bought a couple of bags of them for the garden.

sorry if I seemed flippant. Always nice to have science back you up.

No, thats okay:) Yes, she wanted some science to back up my ascertion.

Was that enough science for her? Or would she like some more? We can certainly start her on the Bokashi, EM1 path. And I can give more info on worms than she ever thought she wanted to know. LOL

Yes, now I got started vermicomposting. She went out and bought some worms for it. I met her on another forum.

Way cool, Dean. I have my tubs etc, set up, just have to wait till the weather breaks to get the worms. I think it's still too cold to try and get a shipment of live worms. My Bokashi is cookin away..I love the way this stuff smells. DH thinks I'm nuts, but what the heck. We went to the Mid-Atlantic RU yesterday in MD and I got tons of stuff! I am so tickled. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the plant files, trying to figure out what seeds go where and what do I do with this? LOL Got some extra packages of veggies as well. And a Tiny Tom tomato seedling. I want to try those in a hanging basket. :)

doccat5,

Way to go! I haven't tried the Bokashi, yet. What is the RU? Some type of plant swap? Good luck with your tomato seedling.

Yep, RU =Roundup....it was so much fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.