Sowing Erythrina herbacea - Coral Bean Up North

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all --

I have some coral beans and wondered if any northerners had successfuly germinated and grown these, and if so, can you tell me how you did it?

Right now they are soaking in warm water and I am hoping to get the started tomorrow. Plant Files only says to start them indoors before the last frost, and most of the people listed as growing it are from the south.

Thanks,
Suzy

I've started these from seed indoors. I nicked the hard outside coating on the seed, soaked for 24 hrs and then planted in seed trays. I kept them moist and noticed germination with in a week on all of the seeds. Once germinated, they weren't any more difficult to keep inside than any of my other seeds. Starting early inside will definitely benefit you as, they seemed to be slow growers the first year. Lol, atleast mine were when I finally put them in the ground. The second year, they really took off!

I was afraid of that (slow growing) -- I don't think they are hardy here, so I was wondering what cold climate folks do....if we can start them super-early and they'll still bloom, or if it's a lost cause.

Thanks for the response...

Suzy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you bring it in somewhere for the winter?

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

hi suzy- i had no luck when i received one from a plant exchange..sad to say- but i'd be willing to try again- it grew terrifically all summer in a pot- made it up to the top of the pergola, and more, though it hadn't bloomed yet..... then i cut it back (too much, i think) and stuck it in my rather cool green house where for instance the rosemary plants do great..but apperantly not coral vine- because it died.... next time, i'd bring it inside where the night temperature is warmer.- also maybe it would have been good to pinch it a bit while it was younger so it would be more bushy and easier to bring inside. it seemed that cutting that one strong stem back hard in the fall was too much for it- so that's why i'd encourage a more branced viney growth if possible.. these things are always worth a try!! sarah

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think you might be talking about a different plant...coral vine is Antigonon leptopus, and coral bean which Illoquin is talking about is Erythrina herbacea. The Eryrthrina is more of a shrub.

LOL I thought it was a perennial, and somebody in PFs said it could get to 24 feet tall, so I'm not real sure what to expect!

It is right on the cusp of being hardy, and yes, I could grow it in a pot and bring it in to the garage,,,,looks like it's hardy to -5. This year it would have been fine, but next year would always be a question.

Right now, though, I'd be happy if the beans would germinate.

Suzy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You're right, it is a perennial, but it looks more like a shrub because it gets so big. If you're willing to take a chance on losing it and having to start over, you could always try planting it in the warmest part of your yard that you can, and pile mulch over it for the winter, that might help just enough for it to make it.

Oh, you know how that goes -- those microclimate places are near the house and get full hot burning sun, the eaves prevent full watering, and the brick/blocks seem to take moisture away, too. He would probably be better off away and in the part shade and covered with a nice layer of dry leaves. Of course if my beans germinate, I can do ALL the above because I'll have so many plants....isn't Spring wonderful? It's so full of promise!

Suzy

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

thanks for settin a dumb northerner straight ecrane3!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You're not dumb! Common names can be very confusing and misleading, here the common names were close but not exactly the same, but you'll find many cases where you have exactly the same common name applied to plants that aren't even remotely related to each other, so it's almost impossible not to get confused. That's why I like Latin names better even though they're a little harder to learn :-)

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

well, we're all learning- !!- and actually that's why i like dg when i get a chance to sit at the computer- iget to find these things out
suzy- by the way, did you have any luck with the nz delphinium seeds way back when? we have so much snow this year which i think might be good- wondering how my mini narcissus are doing under there..... also a test of zone tolerance, i reckon... it sure would be exciting if they decide they like it here.
sarah

This message was edited Feb 26, 2008 9:41 PM

No, I'm sorry, I didn't. Ah, to be honest, you didn't put them in a padded envie and they got all smashed up in the mail. I sowed them anyway, thinking, well, maybe....but nothing came up.

I hope the daffodils do really well for you -- this time last year mine were blooming, but no cuch luck this year!

Suzy

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

drat!- actually- it didn't occur to me..next time better...... we've had snow cover from 4 to 24 inches all winter- in fact, its snowing right now... a long time till spring it seems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.