do thorns stay sharp in the compost?

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

This seems like a silly question, but I've been wondering about this for a long time. When I trim my roses, I've been putting the canes in the trash because I don't want to get thorns stuck in my hands when I use the compost. Do they really break down or do they stay sharp?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They'll rot eventually along with the rest of the plant, but it may take a while so if you stick your hands in the bin regularly before it's all turned into usable compost, then you may want to keep doing what you're doing. But if you aren't handling it until it's all decomposed you should be OK.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

silverfluter,

I threw some in the garbage too. I didn't want to be stuck while working with the compost.

edited for misspelling

This message was edited Feb 22, 2008 10:07 PM

Thanks Ecrane. I guess I'll put it in the compost then. I really don't like to put yard trimmings in the trash. Now if I can just improve on my housekeeping habits and keep the pile watered it might some day make compost.:)

Dean, I don't remember seeing you post before. Are you going to the RU in CS? If you've never been to a RU it's a great place to meet DG'ers. And you don't have to take any plants, but we'll be sure you take some home.:)

Macon, GA(Zone 8a)

Silverfluter, I think your question is great because I, too, have wondered about the longevity of thorns in the compost heap.

Actually, I sidestep the problem by using rose prunings in various wildlife brush piles around our property. I know that's not practical for everyone, though.

Liane

silverfluter,

What is the RU in the CS?

lol at Dean. A RU is a plant swap and CS is College Station Texas where the RU is.:) Anybody and everybody is welcome. It's a lot of fun and you don't need to bring plants. If you don't have any plants to bring, you won't be the only one. You will however have plants when you leave to go home.:) A large group of us meet for breakfast Sat morning and some hang around after the swap and go out to eat together for supper.

silverfluter,

Thanks, for clearing that up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.