Yellowing leaves on new transplants.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello all you Rhodo experts!
I moved to my new home in May of this year. My Rhodo's transplanted well and looked great all summer. This morning I noticed the new transplants have some slight yellowing to their leaves. The established ones here are showing no signs of it and are huge and bloomed beautifully. We live in a wooded valley with tons of the wild ones on every hill or rock.(can't wait to see them in the spring) We also have huge wild azaleas in colors of pink,yellow and orange. So I now the soil and climate is good here for them. The question is "Is it safe to throw a little miracid on them at this time of year or just wait it out and do it in the spring"?
THANKS! for any advice or help you can give.
Geo

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7a)

I to am having trouble with yellowing leaves although, their are plenty of people that have large nice looking specimens around me. My soil pH is a little bellow six i think in the azalea beds and I am pretty good at keeping and acid mulch " pine bark" and treating them to Holley Tone fertilizer. I have some of the Encores planted and notice that the leaves seem to be a little skimpy and stingy compared to some. I have heard that this is normal. I really don't know for sure though.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

it all depends on the variety of rhodies you have. i have a few that are well established and during the winter spring months the leaves yellow and droop. when it turns warm they straighten out and green up. also it still might a bit shocky. certain varieties take longer to adjust to replanting than others. did you plant it in good draining soil? lots of mulch in the holes? the pic is actually of the lungwort but you can see how yucky the rhodie behind it looks. but its doing just what its suppossed to do and is coming out of it just fine now.

Thumbnail by shokami2
southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

It's likely some. It might also be a combination of shock and needing fertilizer, even if the ph is right. It may specifially need iron. It's a little hard to identify a lack in iron when the leaves are young though.

These pictures don't do justice to the symptoms of chlorosis plus needing some other stuff...
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oGknChtxFIicUAvJ5XNyoA?ei=UTF-8&p=rhododendron%20chlorosis&SpellState=n-1400830185_q-t3KiDuRktnOHPg.b.VQ%2FNAAAAA%40%40&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-340

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/microchlorosis/microchlorosis.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.