Suburban backyard wildlife habitats

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am trying to add as much wildlife habitat as possible in my small suburban yard with the addition of native plants. Right now I'm trying to add more berrying plants. I know this question comes up again and again in threads but I'd really like to know what native shrubs could fit in a small yard and attract the most "wildlife".

While searching online a found a wonderful project in a neighboring town.
www.montclairwildlife.com

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank You for posting this. It is a great site. I am sure I would never have come across it on my own. Since we put in the pondless stream, we have had a zillion dragonflies. Now I know why!
A favorite shrub of mine is the old reliable nandina. It is so beautiful during every single season and lends a Holiday feel to our winters when we don't have any snow cover (usually no snow cover --but during the rare snow ..the red berries and the snow mix are outstanding!) The critters are happy with it and so are we. All I have to do is prune out the longest shoot every now and again when I want the bottoms to fill in. Could you grow it? I have noticed birds in the black dragon too - but I don't know if it is for the cover or the new growth or what. It is a very beautiful upright element in the garden - black green needles and fresh bright green growth. It is very slow growing - ours is about 5 feet and has not really moved first two years. As per this site's suggestion, I do leave the leaves unraked in the garden because the rabbits nest under in the winter and in the spring there are new babies snuggling under. I sure wish they'd leave the plants alone other seasons tho! I love the photos on this site. We really need to work on the edge of the woods at our house - but the deer tend to discourage the effort. It is a challenge to find materials that will look and do well and co exist with the wildlife so that both survive. Anyway, thank you for posting. Very much appreciated.

Raleigh, NC

I, too, am a huge Nandina fan. As far as I am concerned, they are all purpose--beautiful at all seasons, provide some food for wildlife (though in my yard, its not something the animals and birds love, though when everything else is gone, they definitely eat the berries), need virtually no care, are drought tolerant, but just as happy when it rains, take sun and shade. What more could you want?

Just one problem, though, I believe they are considered by some to be an invasive plant here in NC. Probably need to check on that before intentionally planting more. I've never planted any, just enjoyed the ones that surround my old house. I suspect there may be some newer varieties that are less willing to reseed and spread....

Thanks for the reminder. My landscaper just recycled the ones that we already had. Although I have never had a 'volunteer' in almost 8 years. My buddy in Durham has tho, and is always fussing about having to pull them up --it kills her to destroy something so pretty and healthy but she doesn't want them where she doesn't want them. I make Christmas wreaths out of the berries - they last months - maybe that is why I am not pulling up unwanted sprouts. I don't know why it didn't 'click' about invasiveness - maybe because no problem so far with our property. I have had a terrible time with euphorbia - I liked the monster/alien bright green heads on the variety I purchased from Plants Delight. But within two years I was yanking them out of the gravel drive and everywhere else. I kept having visions of my neighbors coming after me in the dead of the night with rakes and hoes! I bet if look right now - I will still find a few that I missed. Very reliable and really interesting but not real thrilled with the poor control. Thanks for the reminder about the nandina.

Sounds as if you all must be referring to Nandina domestica (Heavenly Bamboo) or one of its many cultivars? If so, not an appropriate recommendation for anyone who gardens for wildlife on the continent of NA. Although extremely popular for its beauty, there's probably a reason why one of its other common names is Hitler Bamboo and some who aren't too good with common names refer to it as Nandina Megalomania. I heard those "other" names when I attended a seminar several years ago and about bust a gut laughing. When one is constantly removing these types of weedy non-natives, one tends to get a little silly and slap happy.

Excellent observation yotedog- "not something the animals and birds love, though when everything else is gone, they definitely eat the berries". There are three main "ingredients" in berries that birds depend upon; proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids. Lipids are essential to migrating birds. Birds know what they need to best sustain their lives on their flights. In the absence of high energy fruiting species they depended upon for survival for centuries, they have no choice but to consume fruits that don't best meet their needs.

Please don't be fooled by the word domestica in the plant's scientific name. This plant is native to Asia and not to North America where the people posting in this thread all garden. As yotedog mentioned, the plant is listed as invasive but also listed as a noxious weed. Here's a map of where this plant is now found growing-
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=NADO
If you scroll down, you will see states on the map that have been "greened-out". Those are all the states where this plant has escaped cultivation and is documented as having naturalized. When non-native plants escape cultivation by re-seeding into natural areas, they displace native plants in the process. It would be these native plants, that native wildlife does depend upon to survie and thrive, that are compromised. When we grow "weedy" non-native plants in our yards and they pop up in unwanted places we remove them. When these types of plants re-seed into an area in a neighbor's yard where they don't want them, the neighbor removes them. Something that is frequently overlooked about these types of plants when they pop up far away from cultivation is who removes them when they re-seed into natural areas? People like me remove them from natural areas. I wish there were many more people standing in line to volunteer to work even a few hours a month in natural areas removing these weedy non-native species but for every person we have we could use a hundred more and that is no exaggeration.

sempervirens, I'm sort of wondering if you might have space in your yard for fruiting acid lovers and associated species. Have you any acid lovers right now or would you be interested in any? If so, I would have a few suggestions for "berrying" plants.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi sempervirens, we have a relatively modest property here and I let this shrub pop up all over: Tatarian honeysuckle, Lonicera tatarica, “Bush honeysuckle”, “garden fly-honeysuckle” which has (pink to white) or red summer berries.

It blooms around June for us. It just arrived here under the trees and I let it go as I was curious about it. Aparantly it was introduced from Eurasia to the US as an ornamental in the late 1700’s and has escaped to become naturalized over much of the eastern US (Weeds of the Northeast p 334, one of my favorite books).

This is NOT to be confused with invasive Japanese honeysuckle that has black berries and hairy leaves and twigs. Leaves of seedlings are opposite and nearly hairless. The Red berries are eaten by birds, which disperse the seeds. It is a branching deciduous shrub. Most of the berries on ours get eaten by mid July.

The other berry shrubs we have that the birds really like and it's so easy to grow are the raspberries. Even our dog nibbles a few raspberries now and then lol :) If you have room to make a row of raspberries, you'll have plenty for yourself and for the birds!

...forgot to mention the blooms bring in the hummingbirds too!

Eesh, I feel uncomfortable doing this since that tartarica is so knock down gorgeous but you're right... the two (Lonicera tatarica and L. japonica) should not be confused even though both are non-native.

Lonicera tatarica
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LOTA
Please scroll down and note that this plant is listed as both an invasive species as well as a noxious weed and is banned and/or prohibited in 4 states.

Lonicera japonica
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LOJA
This plant is also listed as both an invasive species as well as a noxious weed although it is documented as having naturalized in more states than L. tartarica and is only currently banned or prohibited in the same 4 states as L. tartarica.

Sort of an interesting site that addresses some of the issues for wildlife gardeners with non-native bush honeysuckles-
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/exotics/exotics.html
This particular site addresses the longer growing season-
http://www.kcwildlands.org/oldweb/naturalenemy6.htm

For anyone who gardens in NJ, have you any familiarity with-
Lonicera dioica
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LODI2
or the American Fly Honeysuckle which is Lonicera canadensis
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LOCA7

Both of these plants would have co-evolved with the species of critters in your region as opposed to the other Asian and Eurasian honeysuckles that co-evolved with critters from their homelands.

actually, I didn't realize the Lonicera tatarica was officially labeled 'invasive' too ~ thanks, I updated my g.journal :) well even so, I'm keeping those! The birds really love it.

I did try and remove some of the invasive other species (we have several unfortuneately) around here; incl. mugwort, burning bush and the multiflora rose. We did dig up the multiflora rose; which, I hated to do because it was so beautiful. Well, actually, my husband had to dig it up and hack out the roots!

another good wildlife 'berry' shrub to consider would be some of the viburnum cultivars

this was the multiflora we dug up

Thumbnail by wind

A lot of people don't realize it so you're certainly not alone. Now toss in L. maackii, then toss in all the cultivars from all of the Asian and Eurasian honeysuckles, and then toss in all the offspring from these plants hybridizing and it gets real confusing even identifying which one you have. While you may have enough gardening experience to understand all the differences- to many gardeners a honeysuckle is a honeysuckle is a honeysuckle.

I see you have the front porch of my dreams that I've wanted my whole life!

Equilibrium-
You write: Sempervirens, I'm sort of wondering if you might have space in your yard for fruiting acid lovers and associated species. Have you any acid lovers right now or would you be interested in any? If so, I would have a few suggestions for "berrying" plants.

Yes please!!
I think I should dig up the nandina (Hitler bamboo) (smile) Why do the nurseries SELL them (I know...I know $$$ and folks like me who don't do their homework - a mix for disaster)

I forgot about bayberry too. I guess because ours isn't the happiest yet and hasn't really produced berries. This was an interesting link I came across that may be of interest.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/682674/

Both Morella pensylvanica (Northern Bayberry) and M. caroliniensis (Southern Bayberry) are excellent choices for NJ!

missingrosie- you do realize you're chatting with the person who many years ago inflicted Hesperis matronalis (Dame's Rocket) on herself, right? I bought 20 some packs so I could have a wave of natural wildflowers out front. I got a wave alright, not exactly natural though but I didn't realize that at the time. It was those pretty packets with little or no quality information on them that got me. I needed them, I was convinced they were meant to be swaying in gentle breezes outside our home. Sometimes we really need to be careful what we wish for. Took me quite a while to get rid of that wave which seemed to turn into an ocean of waves in no time at all where I planted it. There never seems to be a lack of misinformation going around which is why it's nice to try to learn the scientific names of plants so you can begin to learn how to research native range for yourself. It takes a while.

Regarding acid lovers for you... whole different ball game than acid lovers for sempervirens. Actually, you would have better options for acid lovers than her in my opinion.

I know it is a learning curve.

My neighbor trying to be neighborly when I first moved here gave me a tour of her garden. She had just planted these very low growing flowers - looked like violets -small heart shaped leaves and tiny purple flowers. Well here we are some 8;9 years later and I don't have a cultivated bed that I don't have to yank them out of. I don't know if they are native or not, but regardless these wee flowers are HUGE pain in the tush. My neighbor - a young mom - sees me out and about in the garden and she waves and smiles and is so sweet and happy... and when Iook at her, all I can 'see' are those darn invaders!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, I just started this thread yesterday and I just checked back and there are so many posts I'll need time to catch up.

missingrosie, I'm so glad you liked that link. I thought it was wonderful that there was a whole group who organized to attract and support wildlife in the suburbs. I saw that they recommended using native plants which I've been trying to do also.( Unfortunately I noticed later that a few of the plants recommended were not natives but it still is an admirable undertaking) I'm slowly trying to replace most of the non-native plants and shrubs in my own garden after learning more about how important and more successful the natives are at attracting and feeding the native wildlife. It is a slow process and I am learning a great deal while helping with a reforestation project ( replanting the understory with natives and removing invasives). I had rabbits this year also, they were kind enough to hide the babies in my garden but eat elsewhere. Your small purple flower story sounds familiar. The first year I gardened I carefully nurtured small purple flowers in the lawn which is still with me in all the beds-ground ivy.
Do you know about the Brooklyn Botanical Garden All region Guides "Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants"? It suggested using Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon) in place of Nandina domestica.

wind hi, it looks like we are both in NJ. I have one Bayberry which isn't doing too well either, I think it needs more sun. BTW the same book does refer to Lonicera tatarica ( Tartarian Honeysuckle) as an Invasive Shrub with the current Invaded range as most of North America. Ilex verticillata (Winterberry), Lindera benzoin (Spicebush), Cornus servica (Red Osier Dogwood) are listed as a good substitutes. It is always good to have choices that are good for the environment, don't you agree?

Equil, I have neutral to slightly acidic soil. I have successfully grown blueberries and azaleas. In the past I have added peat to the soil to increase the acidity but I don't think that is environmentaly sound any longer.
If the water in my rain barrel runs out and I have to use use the hose my soil becomes less acidic.

South Hamilton, MA

I agree with viburnum & winterberry + bayberry. they were already here when we built the house, had colonized old pasture land. the bees love liatrus (sp.) so do the deer unfortunately. Stay away from Japanese barberry, get native ones, botanical garden handbooks are a help.

Ilex vomitoria >>> I will check it out as I will replace the nandina.

VOMIToria ....hmmmmm Maybe the deer won't eat!! Sounds a little scary.

Oh, it is beautiful.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ILVO

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

missingrosie,
Great name isn't it ? vomitoria - makes you want to rush right out to buy it -what were they thinking? You can also go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden site and get a list of additional native substitutes www.bbg.org/nativealternatives

irisMa Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely avoid the Japanese Barberry, it is one of the invasives that has escaped into the woods and So Mtn. Reservation in NJ.

I found a list at the Native Plant Society of NJ of -- NJ Native Butterfly Host and Nectar Plants
Note: This lists include only butterfly host and
nectar plants that are native to NJ and attract
butterfly species that are typically found in the
state of NJ.

NJ Native Butterfly Host Plants

Native shrubs

Blueberries (Vaccinium spp.) (4) -- Summer Azure, Striped Hairstreak

Chokeberries (Aronia spp.) ----- Coral Hairstreak

Dogwoods (Cornus spp.) ----- Summer Azure

Meadowsweets (Spirea spp.) ---- Summer Azure

New Jersey tea (Ceanothus americanus) (2) - Mottled Duskywing, Summer Azure

Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) (1) -- Spicebush Swallowtail
(neighbors hedge 3)

Viburnums (Viburnum spp.) -- Henry's Elfin, Spring Azure

NJ Native Shrubs Butterfly Nectar Plants

Buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis)
NJ Tea ( Ceanothus americanus)
Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)

I am missing and need more winter berrying shrubs. Right now all I have for winter berries is a 40' Ilex opaca that produces well. The bayberry I believe you have to plant male and female? I know the ilex verticillata (winterberry) you need both and I would like to add this, irisMa.
Which native viburnum and aronia should I add? What else?

The distribution of Morella pensylvanica extends throughout your entire state while the distribution of M. caroliniensis is concentrated in the southern portion of your state. The sexes are separate for Morella.

For Viburnum, you might want to check out V. prunifolium, V. acerifolium (love this one), V. opulus var. americanum, and V. rafinesqueanum. There's a Viburnum nursery out there called Classic Viburnums that probably has all of these.

Aronia was reclassified. Consider Photinia pyrifolia (syn. Aronia pyrifolia) or P. melanocarpa (syn. Aronia melanocarpa).

You have so many wonderful native plants in your yard already that I'll be most interested in seeing photos of how you work more in. I love that cottage garden look utilizing every square inch of space available!

editing to add- I don't believe adding peat is environmentally sound either.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2008 8:11 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.