Help! I can't get this Cattleya orchid to bloom.

Charlotte, NC

I have a collection of 23 orchids, mostly Phalaenopsis, a few Dendrobium, a few Cattleya and a Ludisia (Jewel Orchid). Fourteen of my orchids are now in spike or have already flowered. Several of my Phals have spikes with 2-4 branches. My Jewel Orchid has 7 spikes in full bloom, wish I could post a picture. However I have one orchid that I cannot get to flower. The name on the ID is Iwan.Appleblossom (Dial.Snowflake x Blc.Orange Nugget) and I purchased this orchid in April of 2000. It has a beautiful fragrance and flower. The orchid has produced many bulbs but only 1 flower since the 2000 purchase date. The flower spike will start but instead of flourishing like my other orchids, the flower spikes dry up and die. This orchid gets plenty of light and sits on a tray of moist pebbles. I'm very careful with watering and don't feed it during rest periods. I have another Cattleya (SLC.Jewel Box "Scheherazad") that I purchased in in 2005 and it produced 6 beautiful flowers in 2007 and has 8 buds that will bloom in the next week or so. It gets the same treatment as the other orchid. Can anyone give any suggestions that may help me to get my "Appleblossom" to bloom?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I cannot believe it!!! I have recently acquired this orchid by accident. I won't try to fully explain, but it was acquired from a retiring hobbyist with something bonded to it that looks like an Onc. Wildcat type thingy in bloom. Was she was attempting orchid grafting? I only know (or think) it is your plant because one part of this planting looks catt-like. and is tagged with your plant ID and the other is onc-like and blooming. I bought this unique "cross" because I was having an 'oy vay' day as this person has a serious chronic illness. The back bulbs look like heck, but it has got two good front leads. Needless to say, I have since re-potted the two "grafts". I'm worried that buying this plant indicates sinking to a new low... I used to be particular. BTW, I have successfully separated the conjoined plants and the Onc. is blooming beautifully (it's unfortunate that the Catt. has roots and the Onc. has none). I'll keep you posted and would also appreciate advice regarding culture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.