Dead wood plantings .

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A thread that I did over at southwest forums on planting dead trees and saguaros that you all might enjoy ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815543/

I LOVE that thread!

Speaking of dead or dying saguaros, they're an integral part of the native plant community of that desert and provide shelter for many species while they're going down so always best to leave them be whenever possible.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The saguaros are important , I have gotten a few live ones as well , one with a nesting hole already . I see the city dwellers get upset with that but that is part of natures cycle .

How did you like my pipe encasement method for protecting the lower trunk from rotting in the soil once installed Equil ? Much better than the asphalt emulsion and concrete that I tried earlier I think . If desired it is much easier to move if necessary .

I have no experience whatsoever with trying to preserve a lower trunk of a Saguaro. While out your way I spent some time with professionals who discussed many of the issues associated with the loss of snags and as you can see, we examined a few but I'd favor encasement over a petroleum product any day of the week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.