Outside Arrangements?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I like to make an arrangement or 2 in the spring and summer to have outside on our deck or potting table. Do you do something similar? I know there are flowers in the garden but I just like having some on a table or bench.
Here is one on my potting table from years past.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is one from last year that I had on our bar table. Notice all the leaves in the water, well I have already learned from this forum, don't do that anymore, thanks!
Candee

This message was edited Feb 19, 2008 1:53 PM

Thumbnail by haighr
london England, United Kingdom

Hi candee,
You are my kind of gal already! Lovely outdoor arrangements, a real picture! Have I seen that hat on a tropical oasis somewhere?!!!
Thanks for a new outside arrangements thread, great idea.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Actually, that is a different hat, but straw just the same. Love those hot pinks. Hoping it is soon nice enough to get outdoors, I have a lot of garden stuff to do. I always cut my grasses back on 3/5/ and that is getting close.

I am also waiting for spring to arrive, so much to do when it finally gets here.
A bowl of leaves and petals outside.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Fabulous, you are so creative, I would have never thought of such a lovely idea. Are they in water? How long will an arrangement like that last? Now I am even more anxious for our posey season to begin!

Hi candee,
Thanks, Yes, they are in water. Usually when I take an arrangement apart and the flowers may be a bit bruised or past their best, they do really well in water displays. Change the water every day until you want to dry them out! I hardly throw any flowers away.
Evergreen foliage works well in water..........

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you for the information. I had no idea abot the foliage and will now try this technique in my arrangements this year! Can't wait. And to think the most I ever did was float a dahlia or some such posey, now I have all kinds of new ideas thanks to you.

I love sharing ideas Candee! Have you got any more 'outside' arrangements to show us?
Your garden looks beautiful, it must take a lot of work.

Mine is quite small and cottage like..

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Those are really fantastic. I use those clear marbles inside the vase, you really do think "outside" the container! LOL

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I am going to have to get more inventive this season having seen your masterpieces. Here are my onions.

Thumbnail by haighr

Lol .. Thanks, I was looking forward to another of yours!!!!!

Your arrangement looks really pretty in the white vase. Very impressive onions! and the clematis is a beauty.
I can't wait for the warm sunny days to come back again.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Same here, am getting a bit weary of the dreary!

Here's a bit of sunshine for you! a sunflower made with pine cones, chrysanths, wire and garden leaves.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh thank you so sweet of you. Where do you come up with these ideas, you are a genius at creativity!

Hi Candee, Glad you liked it, not sure where the ideas come from!
It is dark and cold here today, more like winter again than spring. Have you got any more sunny flower pictures to brighten the day?!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well this is not from a photo today; however, we were on the hottub deck after cutting back all of the tall grasses and it was a sunny 50 winter day and we put on some music on the outside speakers and there we were sitting in front of the hottub. Much like this photo!

Thumbnail by haighr

I like the way you have 'arranged' hubby sitting in the sunshine as the focal point,
surrounded by all your lovely plants!
Loud music, hottub, Island of dreams, whatever next!

Here hubby leaves his crossword behind!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Those are perfect. Few of my flowers are w/o flaw, yours look like they are really healthy. Do you have no problems with bugs?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Candee,
I love your yard and find something new to look at each time you show it. I now am dying to know what the house looks like as I could see a partial Dutch roof. I am an architectural freak as well.

May Princess Tammy always have beautiful architecture.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much, but the house is a house, a cape cod. Must admit that Steve and I are artists (on the side) and have done some unique things inside, but the architecture is nothing special. Wespend most of our time outside, in the spring and summer in the gardens and the fall and winter in the hottub dreaming of new garden ideas.

Hi Candee, I do have a slug probem sometimes, but these days I grow more things that the slugs don't bother with and then I'm not so disapointed. I gave up on delphiniums and hostas.
The pink gerberas and chrysanths in my crossword arrangement were from the florists, the roses came from my garden.
What art do you make?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is a link to the artwork - It is all made in wood, I draw and paint and Steve does all the cutting by hand. We have had a lot of fun together consulting on these as we go.

http://hhcreations.com/Wood%20Works%20of%20Art.htm

Wow, such talent and skill between you, they are so fresh and beautiful. Great wood art, the tulip basket is my fav I think ,but it is hard to choose. Thankyou so much for sharing your art work.

what paint do you use?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

acrylic for the most part but have used oil texture for some such as the mink stole in the lady pic.
Thanks for your kind compliments. They keep us out of trouble (sometimes LOL).

Are the parrots on sticks in the ground? Have you made any 3D pieces or sculptures in wood for the garden?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The parrots are about 2" thick and have sanded curved edges and then are grooved and painted and coated with sparurethane. They actually need to be redone as they are starting to look a bit shabby after all these years. They are actually screwed to the fence from the other side and so is the driftwood which they are perched on. Cool idea I had, huh?

Very cool idea!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I get a few now and then LOL!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Candee, Wow!
Fantastic work. I really loved the Odd Swan, Mountain and Streams, Egrit, Tulips, and Vase. I also love your ladies. Well, the Parrot on a Grape Vine was pretty cool too. Let's just say I like them all. LOL.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you all so much. We do have the mountain and stream one in our home, but all the others are long gone. That tulip was a gift to my MIL and she cherishes it to this day.

Hi Candee, I found another one from last summer!!!
Still too cold to go outside!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That is gorgeous, why yummy shades of yellow. Outside today to repot my musa but it is very cold and windy - about 38 degrees!

Nearly time to dust away the cobwebs and get the garden chairs out! Look forward to 'Outside arrangements' everyone!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Lovely. I have the chairs out and did the dusting but needs done about every day here! I look forward to sitting at my little stool at the potting table and making something striking for the outdoors as well, thanks for the inspiration to get started.

South, TX

SO pretty!

Thanks Sally!
Hope we get lots of sunny days to make outside arrangements this year Candee!

Found a single freesia flowering, so here it is outside in a vase amongst the forget me nots.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh my Terri the freesia is wonderful, I had them one year but never came back. Here is my one of the first outside arrangements. A bit of lilac finally in bloom.

Thumbnail by haighr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.