Need ideas

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is my best friends grave, "Buddy" Who was killed in a car accident when riding in the car with my DH ( DH was flowen to Harbor veiw and was Okay) This happened in 2003 and I made a memoral for Buddy. This last winter took it down, now I want to change it, did not like what I had done before it turn in to a monster over the years.

The begining.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is what happened in Dec. The snow was so heavy it collapsed the trellis the Wilded rose was on. also my hummers feeders.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This was taken today, the start of reforming.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We pulled out the rose and the Ivy, what a mess. Dh used the car and a tow rope to pull the rose out, this is DH cutting it back . then we pulled the roots out with th car

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Then the Ivy, ( it a clumping Ivy, very easy to keep in check in the right place, will send out runners, just cut them off. I planted it in the wrong place. If any one would like some let me know, before it goes to the burn pile.)

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Now this is what I have left, and would like to hear some ideas. my Dh wants to build a Trellis for my feeders for the hummers, and hang pots on right around the windows ( have a big cage inside the windows with my own birds), and is in full sun. What climbing vine would work? And what else can I do?
Help

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

So . . .

What direction does this face - southwest?

Are you think that you'd like a shrub with underplantings of groundcover so you can keep buddie's statue there?

Or are you thinking that you'd like another vine growing up a trellis?

Do you need shade for the front door? I'm guessing that you don't want anything blocking off that window there, right?

What about going out a few feet and planting a Japanese Maple or other small tree, maybe a Stewartia? Then you can can expand the bed below. With the added shade from the tree, the number of options for plantings under the tree is greater.

Or is there a path there that prevents you doing that?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have always combined my memorial gardens with the things that reminded me of what my pets were. My Jack Russell Sophie had my heart more than any other creature on this planet. So I used a heart shaped water feature. I always gather a heart shaped object and place it after any adventure I go on that she no longer can. So she knows that I was thinking of her. She loved water therefore the water feature. Loved chasing fish and frogs so I made it frog friendly. Fish just get eaten by predators. I brought her the driftwood she so greatly had joy with on our kayaking experiences.
So along those lines place a color, a plant that reflects Buddy's life, or any subject that interested him. I would build around a narrow columnar small evergreen in the back corner. (Italian cypress) Then I would use a decidious bush of different heights and variety on its right and left. Then the personal choices of buddys life. For instance a cozy spot under a bush you place that has a rock garden to envelope the statue you have of him and surround him with a blanket of color between the rocks, bright sedum or annual of choice for his bed. Then I would use a complementary climber like clematis to highlight the background climbing on the deck railing. I would place in the forefront a stream like feature of rocks and driftwood. I placed my driftwood like the sound does at high tide. All longitudinal to the surf. This would allow you to continue into the yard with what ever continuance you choose. Like a sunken rock walkway going to the back yard you are placing the plants you have discussed before. Just some ideas. Steve

Thumbnail by Soferdig

I love those ideas, soferdig. Very nice! I was thinking clematis as well, but then also something that is evergreen, if you don't use an evergreen clematis. I think I would go for a much sturdier trellis, perhaps with 4 x 4 posts sunk into concrete so you can hold a heavy vine with no problem. Then you have the option of two or three vines which flower at different times.
I like the idea of Italian cypress. I would think of using some smaller arching shrubs at the base of it - like maybe a variegated weigela. Also some dwarf conifers that would give you some color and structure there all year. How big is that area? Are you just wanting to use the corner by the porch?

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Well, as always, Sofer has it in one - HOWEVER, may I offer this suggestion for the trellising and plant supports - I was wondering if a rustic look might be a nice idea for that position -

http://www.naturalfencing.com/level4.asp?id1=9

(if you click on the photos, additional ones come through). Outdoor man can certainly come up with the materials - and the muscle/time/energy to put them together under your supervisory eye.

And as far as plantings - save some room for hellebores there - I think they would look brillant in that spot.

(boy, I just love what these guys are doing - Gnomes houses for People!!! This is going to get Katie going - http://www.naturalfencing.com/level4.asp?id1=4 )

This message was edited Feb 18, 2008 10:39 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Laurie thank you for that site. Now I KNOW what to put in an empty space for the last 10 years. I am going to copy one of the open gnome homes and build it out of post and beam with grapevine, aspen branching woven into an open look. I can't post their picture here but it is like the gazebo structures. I am making mine a soil covered top with flowers cause we look down on it from the house. This is the area. We sit here at night and watch the sunset. Soon to be from a gnome like home. Wait will a troll move in? A big gnome home would be a temtation for a troll.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

I think that would be a perfect spot for one of those gazebo structures - and with you at the hammer, stunning! I love the rosy glow of the spot - can hardly wait to see the finished site - cheers!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hm, don't trolls prefer to avoid sunlight? If you go there to watch the sunset, then the sun must shine directly on that spot. IF you carefully measure angles and heights maybe you can make sure that the sun would always shine into a troll's eyes. Then they wouldn't like it and would go elsewhere?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Great ideas...
It is SW then the house shades it in late afternoon, gets very hot in summer, DH does not want any large trees there, but I have news for him, I got a Magnolia Macrophilla from Heidi its only about a foot tall now, I'll find just the right place so it will shade the deck ( dont know how fast they grow)
I do want a trellis around the window and it we'll be rustic Dh said he will make it, Loved the site Laurie. And Pix's Dh had the same idea on the clematis but he was thinking of the ones I have in the Purple Haze garden, which are not evergreen, and I want a little of all seasons but mostly evergreens. and for now just the corner,
the area is about 8' x 8'
Love what you did for Sophie, have some of Buddys stuff there.
Was thinking about putting the 'Tiger Eyes' there?
Laurie would the Hellbons do good there I thought they only liked shadey areas?
I also have a plant that carole gave me a salvia ' black and blue' that I want to put there.
Love the ideas keep them coming.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Spirea magic carpet is a wonderful deciduous small shrub that goes well with purples or with greens. It would provide a striking foil to an evergreen and a purple clematis.

http://springhillnursery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_71025

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Mary - salvia have trouble with heavy soils (ask me how I know). The crown rots in our heavy rains. So make sure that you amend the soil in that bed and mound it to keep the drainage good. Alternately, you could replant the salvia every year and treat it like an annual. So is the blue of that salvia going to be your predominant color? You might try a white clematis, then.

Clematis armandii, the evergreen that most people use up here would take over that space, imho. Look for something a little better behaved, I think. You could also consider lonicera for the sweet-smelling blossoms.

The magnolia's going to get big, so you'll want to keep it farther from the house than the existing bed will allow. If you have your heart set on a magnolia, think a bout a star magnolia - a shrub that you can keep in hand with beautiful white spring blossoms.

Great ideas, Sofer. Thanks for sharing the picture of Sophie's garden. Wherever did you find a heart-shaped section of trunk? Sophie must have had a hand in that.

And yes, Laurie, I'm enchanted by the site you found. Spent yesterday trying to clean up my fallen limb pile and will spend part of next weekend cutting the trees growing through my fence. But now I'll look at those whips of smaller branches as potential building materials . . .

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

That is a pretty bush, going out to clean up the mess, and take another pic, making a list of all the ideas, then to Heidis. ( not right now) Suns trying to peek out fog finally lifting.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Boy was there lots of fog this morning. Glad it's finally burning off. That spirea requires absolutely no effort and provides year-round effort. One of my favorite plants for our area. Here are some more to drool over:

http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/shrubs_subcategories.aspx?catname=Spiraea&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=spirea

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We over lap. don't really have a game plan yet, this area has good soil well drained I realy don't have much in clay soil. I have a plan for the magnolia might stay in a pot for a long time tho. at least I can move it around, and have plenty room for it in the back, have not done anything back there.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We are making a habit of over laping.
And yes drooling.

Actually Tills, we are all so use to having them in woodland plantings we forget that they are indigenous to open fields - here's an interesting site telling some more about them http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/hellebores.html they seem to be very adaptable. I think as long as they don't dry out completely you should be okay planting them up there.

I loved katie spirea suggestions. Gosh just beautiful. the other plant I was thinging about was possibly one of the siberian iris - with something as bushy as the spirea, one of the iris with its strappy tall leaves at the back might be very nice - they bunch up very well and can be lifted and divided every 4 or 5 years. its another one that does as well in the shade as in the sun.

how's this http://www.theflowerexpert.com/media/images/mostpopularflowers/morepopularflowers/iris/siberian-iris.jpg

This message was edited Feb 19, 2008 9:07 AM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

And iris leaves are such a nice contrast to other leaves. They really draw your eye up.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow Laurie good link, me really thinking now, got it all cleaned up, and having second thoughts about a arbor, no matter how I put it, the cats ( mostly Tilly and Sassy) will be sure to try to get the Hummers and end up on the roof. Thought about using so tall shepherds hooks.
new pic
And how do I kill that swamp grass?

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Forgot to show this one, Shes making sure we do it right. She was just born when we lost Buddy.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Isnt that a very nasty look? LOL or maybe the thought of no arbor, She can ketch them in flight, like my hummers not kitty food.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Dont know how this will work, I did a panarama of 2 of the pics to give you more insite of it. and Buddy's statue got a hole in his head don't know how I will fix it.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Use Gorilla glue almost as good as duct tape. Handy-mans secret weapon.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Never heard of it, will find some thanks. Where do I go?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You can pry that grass out of there with a long pry-bar type tool. Then just toss it or re-plant it where it can stay. Pretty cat!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks she is a handful, The grass is under the skirting?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You find "Gorilla Glue" at the manstore (hardware). Cut in half with a shovel and then pry it out? Could you then pull the rest of it down and out? Is that bear grass?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Not sure of what it is, it is all over down by the creek and in the wet lands behind me. I have none anywhere else in the front, I think this one took a ride with a bird or was part of the foundation fill when we put the mobile home in 94 and decided to stay. Part of the fill dirt came from that area, we call it swamp grass?

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I brought some of that over here to grow it here but it died. It is a native of Pac NW. I didn't know that you had a creek in the yard. Nice

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

The Rody that is on the edge of the pic has the most prettiest flowers, and a nice light purple and just loves being by the water. This is another shot of the outback, where the drop of is the creek. And snake has his own story, in a old tread.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

And this is the other side. If you want to try more of that grass ( or whatever it is) I'll send some home with you when you come visit, I'm sure I can get someone to get it to you.
oops for got the pic

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is my garden.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

What about a trumpet vine over the trellis? They like sun, and mine have climbed our 40 foot freeway wall within a year. The hummingbirds love them, and they are evergreen. jsut a thought.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The grass is not hearty here. I love the wetlands behind your house. I am guessing that. Washington wetland has really acidic soil. What is your ph? I would plant several Cedrus species.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Don't want more trees had 28 taken out already, love the sun but would like small shade trees, except for one, just planted a weeping willow last summer, in the back I love the willows always wanted one. thought I had a pic seems I cant kind it, Sorry
Don't really know the PH levels are maybe should check, the house sets 7' above the creek and the road is 5 to 6' higher I'm in a kinda bowl , have a big Cliff in front of me, and the wetlands behind me. and pasture on both sides, Love it no Neighbors.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2008 6:54 PM

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a Cedrus deodara, just love it. don't know if you can see ti just above the pampas grass.

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.