Join Us! Seed Swap Seed Starting & Conversation #3

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/813669/

Just general conversation and hints and tips on starting from seed featuring the seed swap piggies and friends.

Thumbnail by Illoquin
(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Our illustrious leader-where is our piggy??:(

Don't get me wrong-love this pic, but I love the piggy more:(

Yes, I agree. Plus, that's a terrible picture I put up, and I can't change it! Durnit!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Maybe Dave will take pity on us and switch them?? My, we have important issues, don't we - LOL!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Post a new one, Suzy - c'mon, I know you have another one in mind.

I'm doing modified Deno method on my seeds - paper towel for a week, if they don't sprout, outside they go. So far I've had stellar results with some old Balsam seeds (I have never seen a Balsam in my life, that I know of - ???) and no luck with so Phlomis tuberosa. Expecting company tomorrow, then it all takes off!!!!!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I keep debating the Deno method, but am afraid I'd smush them...guess I won't know unless I give it a try! P'cat - did you do anything other than the two you mentioned?

Has anyone else tried this with success, and if so, what seeds? Was transplanting them to "real dirt" difficult?

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

What in the bejesus is the Deno method??

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

When I first looked up I thought it was that pretty picture of your begonias Suzy, NOT lol

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

snort. Deno Method is kinda sorta like WinterSowing except you put the seeds in a damp paper towel, then inside loose plastic bag and toss in a dark shed, box, whatev' out of doors ... Pagan, where's that thread? Propagation forum??? And who's coming over tomorrow?

What's the skinny on Canna seeds? I didn't get a chance to read through all the related threads. According to my canna seed packets, a 24 hr soak is all that was required. Did they lie to me? Do I need to tell you which type I have? Are you sick of my questions yet???

The trouble with the Deno method is you have to check them for germination so you can get them in soil right away. (Unlike wintersowing where they just germinate and grow and can be left on their own for a month. The good part about it, you don't have to waste soilless mix on seeds that aren't going to germinate. I do not see how yo ucan do teeny tiny tings like primula or lobelia with the Deno method...it would drive you crazy trying to pluck out little seedlings.

Commercial canna seeds are probably already nicked. We were talking about seeds that were collected.

Suzy

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Rather than pick off the tiny germinated seeds using the Deno method, It seems to me that you could leave the germinated seeds on the paper towel and then lay the whole thing on top of soil and lightly cover with soil. ???

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm... these seeds have no sign of nicking. I'm going to break out DH's power tools.

The aspect about Deno that appeals most to me is that I don't have to deal with all of those containers. As for tiiny seeds, I found that by spreading them out on the damp paper, I could simply tear off the paper and plant it along with the seed. Mind you, I use the brown recycled type paper towels for that and not the thick, white stuff. Not sure if that would make any difference ...

This message was edited Feb 18, 2008 7:31 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Whoops, we cross-posted. Cordeledawg, that's what I was *trying* to say! lol

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL, Wrighie, great minds.......
Sounds like a good thing to do. I'd be afraid I'd tear off the tail or damage the tender seedling in some way.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm shocked, Suzy. I don't know if I can post without the pig.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, wait. Pagancat, isn't your DH's Boss Coming to Dinner this week??? EEEEEEK!!!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

this is my cousins place at LBI NJ with red cannas (started from rhizomes I gave him), he digs up huge clumps each yr now and loves growing them too

Thumbnail by wind
Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wow! Nice grouping of plants!!

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Morning all!

Pagancat,
Phlomis seeds need a cold spell to be able to germinate. You can put them outside and they will sprout in spring!

Wrightie,
Canna seeds can be scarrified before sowing, but they don't HAVE to. In that case it simply takes longer for them to germinate. This way you can keep gardening with all your fingers still attached.....

I sometimes use the deno method (didn't know I did though, I had never heard of it), but only on bigger seeds. Especially beans, peas, lathyrus and the like.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I was looking through my seed box last night, and happened across a package of Antigonon leptopus, Pink Coral Vine. The instructions on the package describes Deno method to a tee. Even tearing off the paper with the sprouted seed and planting it all. I wonder if I could winter sow these big seeds if I husked the outer papery shell first?

Cordele,

cj5404az wrote about this: "I've finally succeeded in germinating these seeds and found that soaking them for 24 hours then nicking them helped a great deal. The seeds have a very hard shell and took about a month to germinate even w/the soaking and nicking. They don't like cold, either, and having temps above 70 really helps. Beautiful vine, though, well worth the efforts!" I guess this means no wintersowing. At least not outside but you could try indoors..............

toronto, Canada

Hi there,
I have been using Robyznest's water method to germinate hibiscus seeds (poured boiling water over seeds and left in cup to germinate), I have 3 varieties that germinated in 48 hours (Hibiscus T - Simply Love, Hibiscus Mutabalis - Confederate Rose, and hardy Dinnerplate Hibiscus), a number have not germinated. How long should I leave them in the water if they do not water germinate? I am guessing those that do not are likely not viable or should I plant them up and continue to try and warm germinate inside? Thanks so much. KD

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, TuinK, I was afraid I couldn't winter sow these coral vines. The package does say what you just mentioned about keeping them warm. "the key is to keep these consistently warm." I should have read closer.

Kd, I'll have to read Robynznest's boiling water method for germinating hibuscus mutabalis. I have a ton of these seeds I need to do something with. Is her method in an above post? I've been reading from the bottom up and may have missed it.

KD,
I would do the latter. Just give them some time. To leave seeds in the water for so long is a bit unnatural. You can always throw them away later......

Cordele,
If you want to keep them consistently warm, you'll have to use a heating mat. If you lack one of those, you can place them on the heat vent of your fridge or videorecorder!

BTW, If you want to get rid of that ton of h. mutabilis seeds, please send me d-mail. I'll happily help you!

The method of doing this is one thread back, if I remember well.....

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

You're getting d-mail, TuinK, I sure would like to see someone enjoy them rather than sitting in my seed box.

toronto, Canada

Thanks Tuink I will start potting them up today, as it has been over 48 hours and many have not sprouted in water.

Cordele - Robyznest method was to put the hibiscus seeds in a small container, pour boiling water over them and leave them to germinate. I had very quick germination with the three I noted above and they are all growing long tails, (these were all rounder harder shelled hibiscus seeds) but others have done nothing (these were the larger flatter and a bit hairy seeds Rose of Sharon - Hibiscus Syriacus) and I am worried they will soon start to rot, or perhaps are just not viable. So I am going to pot everything up today per Tuink's advice. KD

KD,
If they're Rose of Sharon hibiscus, they don't like it too warm! Mine are selfsowing and drive my crazy with hundreds of seedlings.....

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815282/

Critters B-day thread!! :)

Susan

toronto, Canada

Thanks Tuink, I did not use all my seeds, I will wintersow the balance and for the ones that have been soaking pot them up and put them in the sunroom today. Thanks again you are a wealth of information :-))

You're welcome.....

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

I love all the info, but I'll never find it when I need it! LOL!

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

This message was edited Feb 21, 2008 6:05 AM

Ansonfan,

Datura and larkspur do better if you sow them where you want them to grow, after all chance of frost has passed.

Helioptrope you can start sowing now, but indoors. This needs a lot of time to mature and flower. It hates cold!

Pansies and viola's you can sow now. Put them in a cool place and exclude all light.

Verbena is one I never manage to get to germinate. Must be a personal thing......

Dichondra, Sow March. keep warm and humid for 2-3 weeks, then 2-4°C for 6 weeks or until germination starts. this will be erratic, some patience is needed

Vinca can be sown now and put outside. Germantion will take place in spring.

I've just sown most of my perennials indoors. Tender and halfhardy annuals I will start next month. Harde annuals I sow where I want them to grow.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Tuinkabouter
Do I need to look up each individual seed to find out if they are 'hardy' or not?

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

I didn't know I had Geranium seeds in my Piggy stash, so I wasn't paying attention on how to start them. They are bohemicum 'Orchid Blue' seeds. Can someone tell me real quick how deep to sow them? Remember, I am not really WSing, cause it's pretty warm here. Or direct me to where you talked about them.
Thanks Lucy

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Blue I have looked around for info about your particular seeds but couldn't find anything about the depth. I did find this. Maybe it will help.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/Sgeranum.htm

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much Ansonfan, I bookmarked that page. It should help alot. : )
~Lucy

Lucy, the link is for Pelargonium (the common name is geranium) but you have Geranium -- a perennial.

I read the instructiuons and you should be able to use the same ones, but wanted you to know. Meanwhile, the pack of geranium seed you have came from Weezingreens and all her packs had a piece of paper with sowing instructions on it. Don't tell me yours didn't have it?

Suzy

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

A lot of Geraniums (not Pelargoniums) need cold treatment to germinate. A couple of years ago I set the pot in the fridge for a couple of weeks after sowing, then they came right up soon after back in the warmth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.