Today's Weather in Your Garden - 13

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Funny - never heard of an icicle alert! Those are weapons at that size.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Have any of you seen any migrating birds yet? Any robins? I need some Spring to look forward to. LOL

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Unfortunately, the robin is no longer the harbinger of spring here in the Hudson Valley as they remain in the area all year long. I understand that cardinals used to be a species to look forward to seeing (years ago), but they too, are here year round. The new harbinger is supposed to be the return of the red-winged blackbird. No sightings yet!

This message was edited Feb 19, 2008 8:10 PM

When the UPS and FedEx trucks are at my house just about every day - it's spring!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

You got that right Victor the real true sign of spring is plants being delivered, unfortunately that means around here spring will be in the middle of April.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I haven't heard the Song Sparrows sing yet so it's not spring...

Temp 34.8°, Wchill 20.3° Wind WNW 13.3mph

The Statue Of Liberty today from the Staten Island Ferry, (cell phone pic).

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Don't forget about the peepers telling us all about spring. :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Serious look icicle, Al.

WC - great to see Lady Liberty again.

Red-wing blackbirds return around March 18th by my calendars of past years.

Love the peepers! I usually start to hear them sometime in March or maybe April.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Al,
I find that not only are the icicles big.....

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

....but they are plentiful too!!

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Jezz Al, Pixie's got you on the icicles! lol! ☺

Looks like a musical instrument!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I know that Celeste. I went back to get some pics and the snow is over my knees- neighbor blows snow over there too which doesn't help.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

That means war!

I agree, that would definitely mean war! ☺

'Freedonia's going to war!'

Where's that little mouse... I'll put a bottle cap on his head and send him to the front lines! lol!☺

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Hail Freedonia!! Land of the Brave and Free! Look out neighbor. I'm starting to get orchid deliveries. Does that mean spring?? Or is it cabin fever?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I spent last weekend in Vermont. I got icicles too.

Harper

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
South Hamilton, MA

Snow left overnight, but no snowdrops--bet that we have to replace ours, the're usually up by now.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Bright and sunny morning with a slight breeze. Feels more like Feb. than the previous few days, temp in the low 20s.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Snowdrops. Ours are still under at least three feet of snow and ice. - Mostly ice - I can't wait for some warmer temps!

It's sunny today but only 14 degrees so far.
More snow arriving this weekend, maybe.

New Hampshire has broken an over 100-year-old record for snowfall amounts this year.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a lot Candyce. We are close here - records were meant to be broken or snowed under I guess.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

We are headed towards being one of the Top 10 snowiest winters, with more snow coming Fri. night/Sat. morning. I don't think this storm will dump much, at least I hope not.
It's 19 and partly cloudy.

North Augusta, ON

8F and sunny. Hopefully the sun will warm it up a bit.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Celeste:

I'm hearing that this storm may (hopefully) be south of us this time.
My fingers are crossed for sure.

Thomaston, CT

Oh, no--that means it will hit us! And my grass is green again! Cyndie--had a flock of redwings on Sun. Hope they were headed your way! It seems early, but maybe not--have seen 1 or 2 turkey vult.--they usually show up about now.

21 and clear here. Snow a good (bad) possibility for Friday.

Oh, no snow for the weekend! I'm supposed to meet with my friend in CT for the first time in 34 years! Please let it track even further south!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Yeah. Was planning on going out Friday night. Now I know why everyone goes south for this vacation week! You can't do a darn thing for fun at home.

Victor - didn't you get the snow this morning? Light flurries, blowing furiously in the wind, for at least two minutes while the sun was shining brightly. Now it's 27, sunny, windy.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Had an appointment with the accountant this morning, stepped outside and almost froze! We have 25-30mph winds making the temp dip to -14.

I was cool but didn't get the wind as I stood on the front steps yelling "Hoodie Hoo". It's Hoodie Hoo day and noon was the celebration but I didn't hear anyone else yelling. The thread for it is in General Discussion, I think.

Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/693628/

This message was edited Feb 20, 2008 12:14 PM

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Too Funny pirl! I would of Hoodie Hoo too!!

I did have to wait until two cars passed so they wouldn't take me away and lock me up.

No snow here. Friday's the big day.

But not much accumulation, right?

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the bird news.
I read a local blog by a birder and he agrees the robins are no longer harbingers of spring. The ones that are here in Portland now have moved in from Canada. He said the birds to watch for are the grackles, the redwing blackbird and turkey vultures. So thanks for the heads up, Robindog. At least I know they are in NE.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Found a giant killer 'cicle:

8 here today.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.