Azaleas

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Last year I decided that I'd like to have an azalea in the yard for spring blooms. I see them all around town and they are so cheerful. However, I know nothing about them. To begin my research I'd like opinions from Dave's gardeners in the region about the best ones to have here. I'm zone 5a or b NY. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi candy. The Northern Lights varieties should certainly do well for you.

Sorry to be gone so long. I'll look them up. And, thanks for the reply.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Bluestone has several inexpensive Northern Lights varieties, but they say you have to wait a year or two before they fill out. Girard also has a line of small azaleas which are supposed to be more cold hardy than most.

There are lots of books written about azaleas and rhodys, check your local library. You might also visit a local nursery to check out the differences between the evergreen and deciduous varieties before you make a decision.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Candy,
I bought Hydrangea Cityline 'Paris' last year but I can't tell you how it's done this winter...it's buried! I guess i'll find out in a few weeks if it survived , all this snow is keeping it safe I hope!
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gifts/store/BECProductDisplay?storeId=10053&catalogId=10005&langId=-1&superItemId=51165&cm_re=Homepage-_-Feature+Header+0205-_-Shrub+Hydrangea+Cityline+Paris

Thanks for the comments. I went to the list of plants that my favorite garden center carries and found some Norhtern Light varieties there. They are usually pretty helpful. There are some really pretty ones available, but I had thought to have them in the front yard which is full sun. I have to also be concerned with deer browsing them. Would the evergreen variety be more tempting to them? I think the evergreen ones were less cold tolerant as well. Pixie, I'll be anxious to see how yours comes back. Our snow is almost completely gone as of today (however more is coming tomorrow night.)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, the deer would be attracted to the foliage during winter browsing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.