Edworthia Chrysanthia

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have one thats been in the pot for two years, and I planted it in dapled shade, very organic ground.The tips of the branches appear to be dead on the top 2" of growth.This thing is so special, I really would hate to loose it.Can someone advise me, and let me know when to expect a bloom, or leaf growth???You can tell this is all new for me. Mike

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I always called mine paperbush (Edgeworthia chrysantha). This is what you are talking about, right?
I have one that I've had ~4 years. This is the first year it has had blooms that are going to make it to opening. Probably in a week or so. I bought 2 more last year at the 4-H sale and they are pretty much following the same path as the first one. Here is my experience:
1. Plant was Slow to start growing
2. 3rd year in ground, started showing definite signs of increasing in size.
3. Blooming habit: a cluster of tight blooms would form on the tips of the bare stems in early winter, buds swell and start to open NOW (mid- to late Feb) and will be open by late Feb./Early March.
4. First three years of growth at my house, the buds would form and then dry up and fall off!! I would be furious! But, like most things, there was nothing I could do but cuss!
5. After a winter/early, early spring bloom, the leaves come in and it is green until fall when they fall off. The bare stems are showing and the tips do look kinda dead. I'd just leave it alone. It will green up in the spring and maybe next winter you will have blooms.

Finally, this year, my older one has the blooms actually unfolding as we speak! I'm so very excited! The smell is WONDERFUL and to me is only rivaled by Daphne (blooming now) and Tea Olive (an old childhood favorite). In fact, the way I discovered the paperbush was walking through a garden at a nursery and smelled this intoxicating fragrance. I followed the smell until I found the plant about 40 yards away! Unfortunatly, the nursery wasn't selling any and I had to begin my hunt for it. I HAD to have a paperbush.

I hope this helps and that your buds don't fall off!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

This paper bush is about 18" tall, three limbs, and looked like it was going to bud out, but droped off.I feel that it is still alive, and looks yelowish on the last 2" of each stem.It has more sentimental value, than anything else, but have the strongest desire to have it grow, because of the bloom fragrance.I'm a sucker for fragrance.BTW, I bought a tea olive, and cannot smell anything.It is a thirrd year from cutting, but has the bell like flowers.I realise there is more than one tea olive.
I want to thank you for the growth habbits of the paper bush, I like that name better.Thanks again. Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.