Renovating on a shoestring

Beaumont, TX

I've been spending every spare minute on a little project. Since most of this renovation was done with leftovers from other projects, I decided this forum was the best place to post.

The new kitchen cabinet (previously just propped up by pink
2 x 4's )was from cedar leftovers on the greenhouse project and cut off scrap 2 X 4's scarfed from a friend curb trash when he moved.

Janet supplied the plywood for the built in boxes from the tear out of her kitchen cabinets.Tile a combination of Habitat store/Goodwill/Janet. Not all alike but patterned in to make work.

Drawer bottom is the cut out from the paneling taken from the wall for the boxes.

Fabric on the upholstered ceiling was left from my bedroom's upholstered walls.(still enough left for curtain for the french door and my niece's ottoman should she decide she'd like to)

Light fixture from Good Will(brand new still in the box) low profile...perfect since the ceilings space is low.

This room was built into the attic space after an addition. I gained 2 feet up there since the old part of the house has 10 foot ceilings. It's just a big room and a bathroom. Previously occupied by a man who was perfectly happy with it like it was. BUT when my niece decided she wanted to live up there...if it just had a kitchen...if only it wasn't blue...the carpet is gross...LOL SO I dived in and less than a month later...Ta da!! She moved in today.

The ceiling had old blue wall paper and horrible blue trim. The seams on the wall paper were curling so we painted it and used 3/8 inch cedar slices to cover those seams which also cover the staples in the fabric.

Over the kitchen is two sheets of bead board painted to be wipeoffable in the kitchen area.

Makeover was about 600 including the floor which was nearly 400.

I also rerouted some drain lines and water supply lines up there and replaced all the outlets and covers. Switch on the side of the kitchen cabinet for the florescent light (new) New electrical for outside motion detection security light (thrift store still in it's box) and new circuit for the microwave. Outlets and vents in the back of the built in boxes.

SO much space was wasted back in those walls I had to take advantage of it.

on the had to buy list:
Ball bearing slides for the drawer, convection oven and pull out cutting board/counter space that Janet donated (she found at Goodwill)
Hardy backer board, grout and thinset.
Paint, Conduit and outlets, PVC and screws . The 2 pieces of bead board and 20 cedar board for trim.

A couple of pics...

This message was edited Feb 18, 2008 9:44 PM

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
This thread has 54 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!