White Elk Tillamook Oregon

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Shared these in the hunting and fishing.

We call her Allie Bino. The herd hangs out near the Air Museum by our house. I get to see them almost everyday.

Thumbnail by somermoone
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

her and her friends

Thumbnail by somermoone
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Allie is in the middle.
The fence you see is part of the Sherrif's department.
There is another fence that keeps them off the runway at the airport.

Thumbnail by somermoone
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Beautiful creatures. And great pics. How lucky that you get to see them this way.

Allie sure looks quite unique. Seems like the herd is accepting her though. Some species shun albinos, so it's very good to see them treating her just like any one of the group.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

It seems as if they do. Sometimes she seems to be alone but she lies inte middle of the herd and eats along side them.
It has really been a treat to watch them throughout the past 6 months. They hang in the farmers fields, over at the Air Museum, Sheriffs grounds. They are probably one of the most photographed herds :0)

Thumbnail by somermoone
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

These pictures are amazing!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

I found myself going over everyday to get more pics. It's not like they change too much day to day....LOL I really wanted to get some better ones of Allie. I'll probably try again tomorrow since it looks like it will be nice.

Thumbnail by somermoone
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like you're watching over her. I'd be prompted to do the same thing. How far is this from your house?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

sometimes a half a mile, right now maybe a mile. I could walk to where they are at most of the time.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

How cool is that? To be able to walk a mile to an elk herd. Not many people can say that - let alone be able to say that they regularly see a white elk in the midst. The native americans saw them as special and magical. I think there has to be something to that.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

One of the guys from the foresty said they are few and far between. Something like one in every 100,000 or so.
Right on 101 most of the time.
We live on McCormick Loop. Sometimes we have seen them at the other end, that was this fall. They have been hanging out at this end for a few months now.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I'll bet. I'm so glad they look so healthy. I've posted this a couple time before on DG; really believe it:

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whaever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

~Chief Sealth of the Suwamish Tribe, letter to President Franklin Pierce

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

That is true I believe, thanks!
My Uncle's 4th great grandfather was Chief Patkamin of the Snoqualimoo tribe from Whidbey Island. I think he was actually a chief of several other tribes if I remember right.
They all had great insights that if we would all take just a little of it to heart, life would be that much better.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

How wonderful that you have native american in your family. What a blessing to have such a heritage. I haven't heard of the Snoqualimoo Tribe - they're from Whidbey, huh? Yes, they are so in tune with the land - very much children of the Earth, I think.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

My Uncle actually has the geneology back to his gggg/grandfather since he had married a white woman. He has in his possession the original treaties and other documents also. He's actually my mother's sister's husband.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Holy cow. He should write some of the family history down. I, for one, would love to read it. My parents wrote their life stories not long after they retired. It's crazy how there's stuff in there they "forgot" to tell you.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

I am going to scream! Two time now just lost everything!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Weird....I wasn't even in this thread!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It does sometimes happen. Do you have dialup? Seems like it happens more often with that. I'm wondering if there are tiny interruptions in the signal.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

I have DSL, it said something about page expiring.....

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Huh. Well, that was the extent of my technical knowledge. :-) Let's just hope it doesn't happen too often.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2008 10:31 AM

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How old is the lighter colored elk? I wonder if she will be sought after during rut just like the darker cows? It is amazing how big elk are. We have a good number of them here but I have never been fortunate enough to see them. You are very lucky indeed.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

She's about two years old

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It will be interesting to see if she breeds like the others.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

yes, it will be interesting. I'm sure it probably works the same as any other albino creature?

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

How wonderful you are able to observe her! What a treat!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

It is wonderful. We haven't seen the herd for awhile. It's been so rainy. Plus they are putting in some new water lines over by where they hang out. They will be back.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I agree w/ katie 59 about the blessing of Native American heritage. I'd be so proud to claim such.

I had the wonderful privelege of knowing Chief Wm. Depoe when he was alive, and I hope his family has published what he wrote about his life.

A neighbor and dear friend is NA, and I'm so fortunate to learn from him. Please encourage your uncle to write or tape his memories. I too, would love to read them!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

I believe he is in the process, thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.