Accidently (on purpose;) dug up the cannas...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

and am wondering when the best time to plant them is. Not for myself--I'm thinking of offering them for postage here and don't want to continue to dig the rest up if this isn't a good time to replant them. I know I won't be able to get all of them out without disturbing the other things in the bed but I can remove a good chunk.

They have been in the same home for 10 years and flower each year. The flowers are the top dining location for Japanese beetles so I haven't really been able to appreciate them:lol: I'm not sure which red I have but the orange is Wyoming and they are in a mixed plot.

Thanks for any advice!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, I'm outside of Winston-Salem, and I dug some cannas for someone a couple of weeks ago. I was trying to just divide without digging the whole clump....but I ended up digging the clump because the ground was frozen (brilliant). I put them back in the ground where they were with some extra new dirt. Checked on them yesterday and they look the same.

Now, with that said, it's probably best to wait until after last frost to plant new cannas around here, as they prefer warmth to put out new growth/roots. There is a risk of losing them to rot this time of year depending on zone (I'll check on the ones I disturbed again in a week or two)...but if you were sending them to FL, they'd probably be just fine :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi dmac. I have been planting Cannas this year since mid January. Of course this is Phoenix AZ and we are having very nice temps right now.

If you are looking for a good home for your rhizomes, I would be glad to pay for postage!

Thanks

Don

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'll be dmailing you Don:)

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna!

San Antonio, TX

Dmac085, if u r still sending out cannas for postage pls let me know as I am interested.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm dmail when I see what is left out there. Then they should all be gone except for the stragglers hiding under the daffodils:lol:

Thanks for taking on the refugees--no more left to give away:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.