Advice Please

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Although I lurk from time to time, I don't believe I've ever posted over here. Hello Everyone!

I've only done one mosaic project in my life which was on my counter-top a few years ago. It turned out pretty well but there really wasn't a lot of skill involved. I just did a random pattern using Fiesta tiles that matched my kitchen's decor.

Fast forward 4 years and I'm ready to begin again. I have been collecting colored glass for several months and I'm finally ready to draft up a project. Never having been one to start at the bottom and work my way up I've decided on a doozey to begin my glasswork career. I would really like your input please as I have no idea how do-able this project even is.

I had a deck built for my hot tub last fall but couldn't figure out what kind of privacy screening I wanted at the time. I now have this beautiful glass screen all layed out in my mind, but I've never been very good at the mechanics end of ANYthing, and I'm really out of my depth here. I only need the partition on one side so that makes it a little easier......here's the plan, tell me what you think.

Since I'll want this to be in place year round it will need to be durable. So instead of making one hugemongo screen I thought about using 2 or 3 large panels and dividing those panels into 4-6 sections for even more stability. I'm not sure how I'll attach the screens to the deck, but I'll get some one else to work that part out (told you I'm not good with the mechanics. LOL!) My next thought was to put plexyglass inside the frames for additional strength, then doing my mosaic work on the plexyglass. Does that make sense and do you think it would work? Would it hold up to the elements? (If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I will then have to learn how to attach the glass, but I won't get ahead of myself here.)

I am attaching an artist's *cough* *cough* rendition of the deck and panels. What say ye glass workers. Do I have a shot at this project?

(edited for spelling. I KNEW that didn't look right.)

This message was edited Feb 18, 2008 5:35 AM

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!